Author Topic: Storms in Corfu  (Read 25448 times)

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Storms in Corfu
« on: October 02, 2009, 11:51:40 PM »
Just had a text from Trish who was on Easyjet this evening from Manchester to Corfu. They have been diverted to Athens as the storms were too bad to land in Corfu. They have been put in a posh hotel by the airport for the night!! Better luck tomorrow....
Sandy x

riggers

Re: Storms in Corfu
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:59:37 PM »
arrrghhh :o  hope they gets there soon Sandy :) Maybe the posh hotel is a bit of a sweetener. Yes good luck for tomoz. Bring the good weather back please 8)

riggers...

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 01:08:25 AM »
Yes, lets hope they get to Arillas tomorrow, Sandy!  Hope we have better luck!

lynn xx

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 02:38:15 AM »
Posh or not. A hotel in Athens would not stop me from being disappointed at losing a day at home.

Nature is tough though, and much better the pilot diverted rather than crashed on landing.

If you are there already though, the September/October storms are spectacular. Totally awe inspiring. Incredible to watch. I know that our Dimitris loves them.  We joined in last year and adored the experience totally. To watch the lightning crashing into the sea, dark at 1pm in the afternoon, rain that dropped sideways. Fantastic. But then we had had two and a half weeks of sun before. The change was as good as a rest.

I am not alone. Many have said how much they love the storms - and how short lived they are.

Phil

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 09:27:52 AM »
Lets hope the storms have finished by now and their on the way. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 11:45:07 AM »
If anyone wants to follow the weather here, just click on the new weather link Dimitris has put on the Webcam page (on the right) Scroll right down to the bottom of the page to see an update every 5 minutes. We're in Arillas and have been following it for some weeks and it's very accurate. You can see how much rain we had last night! We found a small frog on our terrace this morning.
The storms yesterday evening were spectacular with the thunder and lightning continuous at the height of the storm and another one woke us up during the night. No power cut though thank goodness.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 12:54:34 PM »
Thanks Brige, I've never noticed that function before...I'll be keeping my eye on it over the next couple of weeks.

Eileenxx

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 12:55:58 PM »
I've noticed it seems pretty accurate. Which means it should be fine again by Monday!
Sandy x

Maggie

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 01:30:26 PM »
The weather has calmed down a bit now. It's still windy, with wee light rain showers. Not really very cold tho. We had a very pleasant visitto Georges creperie this morning, and saw a good few people out walking. The sea is looking a bit rough tho. Bridget, Jackie told me you were here, hope your having a nice time. Eileen, if your coming over soon, maybe we'll see you around.

Offline BBB

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 01:53:14 PM »
Maggie, yes we're back after a few weeks in England. Call round whenever.

Brigette

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 04:23:07 PM »
Three years ago we stayed in Arillas and the last few days of our holiday were very stormy the night we were due to fly they shut the airport, so ended up for 28 hours in a  The Holiday Palace Hotel in Corfu. All I wanted to do was go back to Arillas I had resigned myself to the fact that I would have been quite happy not to have got back to England. The storms were spectaculur, from the Hotel window in Corfu Town, we could see planes appearinig through the clouds, then turning back because they couldn't land. I would still risk going late in the season though.
Take Care
Mary

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 07:32:14 PM »
Sandy

Mr n Mrs Trish are here safely and were unwinding in Rainbow this PM.

Negg

Offline tonynglenda

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 08:51:44 PM »
We were there during the storms last week and it was brilliant. We love watching... from in the bar of course. We spoke to some who had been diverted to athens, the hotel was fantastic but if they wanted a drink or meal they had to pay. 8or9euros for a beer and 32euros for continental breakfast! Scandalous or what?

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 11:51:44 PM »
I love the extremes. When Arillas has a storm it's spectacular. Then it gets hot and bothered. Then the Mistraio picks up and blows Eileen into the sea. Well nearly - I caught her...

But TonynGlenda, those prices make extreme look average. And a captive market as well. I know some people pay those sort of prices routinely (not me!) but surely the airline should have picked up the bill for basics in a delay?

Our riggers found himself in Dassia being charged the earth, but goodonhim he went to the nearby supermarket rather than pay. If I had millions I would do the same. Agree - scandalous.

Phil

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 12:00:06 AM »
I love the extremes. When Arillas has a storm it's spectacular. Then it gets hot and bothered. Then the Mistraio picks up and blows Eileen into the sea. Well nearly - I caught her...

And good job you did too Phil!  It looks like I could do with you around next week when Zeus tries to blow me into the clutches of Poseidon!!!

Eileenxxx

Booking.com