Author Topic: Storms in Corfu  (Read 25422 times)

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Storms in Corfu
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 12:10:59 AM »
With a historian here (the son who is not married...) I just had the full lowdown on Zeus and Poseidon, the brothers. But is the battle of gifts between Poseidon and Athena for naming the city that intrigued me. Poseidon's horses or Athena's olive trees??? Well, we all know who prevailed. Athens and olives are part of our daily thoughts now.

D'ya reckon they'd win X-factor though??
lol
Phil

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 12:22:34 AM »
Phil...and I thought it might have been Dionysus who intrigued you...lol...the god (this you will know for sure) of wine...but also known for the frenzy and madness he incites. :-o

Eileen.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 12:35:15 AM »
One of Vinnie's students described him in class at Esher College as "the God of getting mashed...." It was wine in those days, but vodka frappe now? Even our Lynn and Colin have sampled it this week.

Why do I so identify with this mythical character? I am good at getting mashed, but no God. Some would say no good...

And I am not capable of inciting frenzy and madness. I usually bore people to death going on about how much Arillas makes me feel happy. Warts and all.

Oh well. I'll have another glass...
love
Phil

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 12:56:01 AM »

Oh well. I'll have another glass...
love
Phil

Yammas Phil, I'll join you with my first this evening. 

Eileenxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(who Keith say's is very capable of inciting frenzy and madness :-0 )

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 01:30:42 AM »
Eileen meluvver, I must be immune. Well maybe not from frenzy, I'm good at that. But madness? I'm an Arilliac. One of the most sane folk in the known world!! We KNOW!

I adore your connection to the mythology though. I have sons for that. Vinnie is a highly qualified expert who dictated all of my details in previous posts. Yes forum, it wasn't me. But I keep on learning and you can expect to hear me using it. Just mark it as read... I ain't going to worry!

So I concentrate on the craic. My Irish roots are very deep in me, and I am proud of them. I love spending time with all my friends in Arillas and have no shame in doing that. It is why Hannah shook her head when our Lynn aked for a PhilandJen vodka frappe.

I'm not wrong!

Phil

Offline Steve & Lou

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 06:27:24 PM »
Does anyone know what the weather is like in Arillas now? as the weather update seems to change every time, we arrive thursday.  Ta

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 07:42:39 PM »
Steve n Sam

I can only tell it as I see it.

Bad weather yesterday afternoon with hailstones. Eileen, Villa Linakis, told us that people in Sidari were brushing then up after the event,

Loads rain overnight here plus the ole thunder n Lightening.
But....... Great afternoon and very mild. - Short sleeves a must this pm.  Avrio ?

The weekend does not look good with a few strong winds predicted'
So.... An umbrella for the rain may be better than an umbrella for the beach.

All that said... peaceful place to be and take the weather with a pinch of salt,
We have 15 deg outside niw at 7:40 pm. - It touched 20 this pm.

Plenty still to do so enjoy! - You just may get wet in the sea yet, rather than strolling down to it.

Cheers
Negg

Offline Steve & Lou

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 07:49:40 PM »
Thanks for the info Eggy, we normally come in June so this our 1st visit in October (school hols) arrrggghh looking forward to it mind. thanks again :)

Steve n Sam

I can only tell it as I see it.

Bad weather yesterday afternoon with hailstones. Eileen, Villa Linakis, told us that people in Sidari were brushing then up after the event,

Loads rain overnight here plus the ole thunder n Lightening.
But....... Great afternoon and very mild. - Short sleeves a must this pm.  Avrio ?

The weekend does not look good with a few strong winds predicted'
So.... An umbrella for the rain may be better than an umbrella for the beach.

All that said... peaceful place to be and take the weather with a pinch of salt,
We have 15 deg outside niw at 7:40 pm. - It touched 20 this pm.

Plenty still to do so enjoy! - You just may get wet in the sea yet, rather than strolling down to it.

Cheers
Negg

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 01:15:32 AM »
hi steve and sam. We did the last week in 2007. A lot of places were shut, but some favourites soldiering on, like The Coconut, Thalassa and Rainbow. We had a truly peaceful week, except we first met our Eggy then. Mind you he's as much fun as he sounds - we totally enjoyed our times with him.

The pools were freezing and the sea was like a bath. I spent more hours swimming in the sea in that one week than I did all of September the next year. And believe me - I don't do cold...

We had a couple of dodgy days, and sat and watched films in the Nut. But with a few good folk who were sharing Arillas with us.

It is very different from peak season, but absolutely worth it. Hope yous enjoy as much as we did.

Phil

Maggie

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 11:43:12 AM »
A wee update on weather and sea! From my house this morning, the sea looks a bit grey....  Might look better from the beach mind. Yesterday there was a lot of seaweed on the beach. BUT..... there was more sand too.
 I saw people swimming in the sea on Monday tho, so may not be too cold! It's still a lovely place to be tho........

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 12:13:28 PM »
Your report has made me wish you had a webcam looking over the bay from your house, Maggie.

It must make the move over there very rewarding to see be able to see that view everyday.

Are you still going down to Arillas on the bikes?

Maggie

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 01:07:37 PM »
It turned out to be a lovely day yesterday. Today is a bit dull, but the rain is staying away, just! Terry, we are so happy to be here. it was a great move. We habven't been out much on the bikes lately, but will start again soon. We walked round a very quiet and peaceful Arillas yesterday afternoon. Very nice!!!!!!!

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 02:55:57 PM »
We did the same yesterday Maggie, walked around "the block" as we call it. A really lovely day. Saw a few sunbathers and Dimitris on his bike. Today is breezier but still have doors and windows open and have been sitting out on the terrace.
Today we had our winter oil delivered and suprised to find the price has dropped from last year by 14cents a litre! Same price as 2006. We love the winters here even with the storms! More storms to come I see!

Offline Steve & Lou

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 05:51:45 PM »
Thanks Phill, it was a perfect as you said it would be, got back yesterday had a good 10 days (we were 3 of 12) still there, though as Eggy warned friday & saturday were horrendous ended up carrying the son & wife through the fast flowing river! but loved every minute, July for us next year now the boy is at school! :(

hi steve and sam. We did the last week in 2007. A lot of places were shut, but some favourites soldiering on, like The Coconut, Thalassa and Rainbow. We had a truly peaceful week, except we first met our Eggy then. Mind you he's as much fun as he sounds - we totally enjoyed our times with him.

The pools were freezing and the sea was like a bath. I spent more hours swimming in the sea in that one week than I did all of September the next year. And believe me - I don't do cold...

We had a couple of dodgy days, and sat and watched films in the Nut. But with a few good folk who were sharing Arillas with us.

It is very different from peak season, but absolutely worth it. Hope yous enjoy as much as we did.

Phil

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 06:02:26 PM »
So glad you experienced what Jen and me did. We spent hours nattering to Spiros, Yannis and Litsa in Thalassa, and with Hannah, Kostas and Perry in the Nut. Swam for hours in the sea, ate fabulous food, and joined the end of season party in Kaloudis. Will never forget it.

Phil

Booking.com