Author Topic: Funniest Memory  (Read 12227 times)

Offline Mick and Jill

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
Funniest Memory
« on: October 03, 2009, 11:24:06 AM »
Well just got home last night with mam who is 83yrs and has never been on a plane for 40yrs.  She is now another Arillas Addict and would like to thank everyone who made her holiday so memorable.
Mick pushed her every where in her wheelchair and on Wednesday we decided to take mam and our daughter her partner and the 2 little ones up to Afionas so they could see the stunning views. I went to knock on our Daughter as they were staying at the Makris to see if they wanted to come.  I stood for about 10 mins banging on the door to get them up with no answer.  Just as I was going to leave I heard a little voice shout mam is that you, YES I had been knocking on the wrong apartment door.  So if that was any members room I must apologise now, I quickly made an exit while everyone esle thought it was hilarious.  I should have known from then it was going to be one of those days after that.
On the way up we went by road, didn't realise how steep it was but we made it, at some points 2 of us pushed, got lots of strange looks, mad English people pushing an old woman in her chair.  Well got as far as Panorama and stopped for a nice cold drink, decided at this point we wouldn't go the last bit as it was very hot for mam and our Grandson who is only 4 had had enough. On way back also stopped at Night Owl as Neill was there and had another drink and stroke of Makis the donkey. On the way back we decided to come down the track over looking the sea as it was shaded by the olive trees.  It was very steep in places but again we managed until we went around a bend just before you reach the 3 white houses.  Our daughter looked in horror as the road had gone and there was an 8ft hole right across the road, there were 2 greek guys laying pipes a huge lorry and an excavator.  We looked behind us and realised how steep the road was so couldn't push the wheelchair back up.  The 2 workman seen Mick and the children and waved them forward they would help get them over this hole.  THEN the look of horror as they saw we had Mam plus chair.  They reversed the truck and excavator and got a plank of wood about 8 inches wide which they placed over the hole.  The children were helped across then Mick had to get mam out of chair and carry her over the plank he's still got the bruises where she clung on, my job was to get the wheelchair over.  The Greek guys were great and we all had a good laugh before we proceeded down the track. By the time we got back to the village we had mam in her chair, our Grandaughter sat on her knee and Grandson stood on the back ha ha.  It's a memory that will live with me for ever and one Mam can't wait to tell her friends.
Then to finish the day off we ordered our night time meal, we were all starving after the walk and guess what they forgot my meal.  The owner only realised after everyone had almost finished so I declined the offer to make my meal then as I would have been the only 1 eating.  Ended up in Coconut where Perry kindly ordered me a pizza take away from San Staphanos.  I sat by the dart board with a box as big as the table and it was the best pizza I have ever tasted
Jill
Jill XXX

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Funniest Memory
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 11:32:12 AM »
Ah Jill luvver. Thought it could only happen to me! A lovely story. Thanks for taking the trouble to share it. Arillas always has a surprise waiting for you, doesn't it??

Phil

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »
Phil just couldn't believe it.  Wish I had taken my video camera could have made a fortune on you've ben framed
Jill XXX

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »
Great story Jill,  you guys must've been exhausted after that adventure!

Eileenxxx

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 12:54:46 PM »
That must go down as one of the best Arillas adventures! And I have to say guys.....100 out of 10 for effort!
Sandy x

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »
Kostas from Coconut said we are now officially his craziest customers ha ha.
Sandy just seeing her face when everyone came out to say hello to her and when she saw the amazing views will stay with me for ever.  She woke up this morning and asked when we are going back, her included.  So many people stopped us to congratulate us on taking her, what can I say she's my mam and although it was hard it was wll worth it.
Another memory that will stay with me is we took her for a meal at Captains and she had the roast lamb.  I advised her to cut the meat into small pieces so she could enjoy it properly.  Next minute she is choking, out flew the false teeth followed by a chunk of lamb, being the caring daughter and son in law we both sat laughing.  Once sdhe had stopped coughing she did see the funny sde of it while she recovered her teeth.
Jill XXX

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 01:44:20 PM »
She sounds a real character.....bring her next May and we can introduce her to my dad....though don't think he'd be up for pushing her up the hill to Afionas!
Sandy x

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 04:19:01 PM »
Jill
What an adventure you had and your Mam sounds lovely and how caring of those workmen to make sure you could all get accross that hole and what a lovely memorable holiday your mam has had bet she can't wait to go back again
Take Care

Mary X

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 06:52:40 PM »
O what a lovely funny post, I fair enjoyed reading it and could almost see it, you discribed it that well. I not surprised mam can't wait to tell her friends, I can hear the laughter now. A real family story to go down the generations. Love Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 07:04:37 PM »
Have to agree Jill. Kostas used to think PhilandJen were his craziest customers, but he didn't reckon on you lot!!

Someone posted recently that having met us all online, to be an Arilliac you have to be a nudist obsessed with donut man and food. Now we know - you have to be crazy too.

Give mam PhilandJen's best wishes. She sounds justlike our kinda mam.

Phil

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 07:17:51 PM »
Phil would you and Jen like to take her next year???????????????
Jill XXX

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »
Would be a reminder of all the times we cared for our ageing mums and dads, and we did a lot of that. We'd be more than happy to sit in the Nut entertaining her! We don't have the legs between us to take her to Afionas though. We can't do that ourselves without a taxi or a lift!

But goodonyer (to quote our mutual friend) for giving her the chance to sample our place. No wonder she wants to go back. Immediately....

love
Phil

Offline Lisa and Steve

• JustLisa
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 07:57:34 PM »
Which room were they in at the Makris.We did leave some eggs and tea bags.

Offline Geoffrey with a "G"

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 10:17:59 PM »
Excellent adventure! Surely it could only happen in Corfu!
Geoffrey with a `G´

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 11:25:13 PM »
Terrific stories, Jill, thanks for a good laugh.  :D

lynn xx

Booking.com