Author Topic: Urgent Passport Question  (Read 10273 times)

Offline willowlark

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Urgent Passport Question
« on: May 31, 2005, 01:50:21 PM »
Oh dear - may be panicking over nothing, but not sure....

I am travelling to Corfu on 10th June, returning to GB on 24th June.

My passport expires on 12th December 2005.

Can I find anyone who can help me to make sure I can still travel on this passport?  No...

The Greek Embassy has been 'engaged' for the last few days.  They have not replied to my emails.

The UK Passport Office said that I can leave and return to the UK but they don't know if I can enter Corfu and that I should contact the Greek Embassy...

Can anyone help me?

Amanda

Offline Aly

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Urgent Passport Question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 01:55:02 PM »
Of course you are OK to travel. Mine too runs out in September 05 and I travel out in July.  You need to worry if your passport runs out whilst you are there that you are in trouble or in some countries you need an additional travel visa (i.e. India), then you do need 6 months to remain on your passport.  You are still in the 'valid' period.  If I've got this wrong, then you will have a mate in jail  :lol: , me!

Dont worry  :D

Offline willowlark

Urgent Passport Question
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 01:57:12 PM »
Thank you...

You know when you think of something, and you get that weird feeling in the pit of your stomach.....

Oh dear!

I am such a muppet sometimes!

It is just because I am so excited about seeing Arillas again.

thanks again

Amanda

Offline Aly

• Arillas Addict
Urgent Passport Question
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 02:08:47 PM »
Oops also forgot to mention, try www.ukpa.gov.uk - you may find some info on here, if you do and I am wrong, apologies.

Offline Elaine&Baz

Urgent Passport Question
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 02:33:10 PM »
Hi Amanda

I don't want to panic you but someone at work told me about a friend who wasn't allowed to go on a weekend trip to Prague because their passport only had 4 months left. So I would double check.

We also fly out on the 10th June, probably see you around!

Elaine

Offline willowlark

Urgent Passport Question
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 04:42:38 PM »
Thanks Elaine

I can't find anyone to double check with, that is the problem.  The passport agency just pass the buck and have told me to contact the Greek Embassy.  The Greek Embassy has been engaged for days and they haven't replied to any of my emails.

If I cannot travel on this passport, I won't be going as I won't have time to get another one before 10/6.

Oh dear...

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
Urgent Passport Question
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 05:34:04 PM »
I do know that if your passport is close to running out it's either 3 or 4 months  then they do not like you to go abroad,check with your travel agent,thats what they are there for amongst other things or at the post office
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Urgent Passport Question
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 05:57:07 PM »
Hello Willowlark,

It really won't be a problem.

Last September I was in Corfu and my passport was due to expire November.  Chill out and enjoy looking forward to your holiday. :D :D  :D  

Eileenx

Offline Mr & Mrs Cafes

Urgent passport question
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 08:03:39 PM »
Hi

Acording to my Olympic brochure, on the holiday information page (
passports and visas ) you are ok to travel to Greece.

Chill out and relax, start the holiday now.

Wendy & Stuart

Offline Pete E

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Urgent Passport Question
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 11:14:01 AM »
I know in Cyprus they used to have stringent rules about only allowing people to enter on a 10 year passport with at least 6 month to go before expiry.  I don't know about Greece though.

I agree with Harold though - your travel agent and tour operator both have a duty to inform you.  Check through all the info they have sent you to see if it is mentioned there and/or get in contact with them.

Pete

Offline willowlark

Urgent Passport Question
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 03:12:03 PM »
The travel agent, the tour company, the post office - hmmmm - all as useful as chocolate teapots I'm afraid.

Will just have to wing it!!!

Amanda

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
Urgent Passport Question
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 05:59:18 PM »
Hi Willowlark, passed my travel agents this morning so went in on spur of the moment and asked,she thinks you still have to have 6 months on your passport on the date of return. The website you where given earlier have an urgent section and you can also e-mail them. Hope everything s ok but I would follow it up now if i was you. Hope you get a defaniate answer before you get to the airport. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Aly

• Arillas Addict
Urgent Passport Question
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 06:17:07 PM »
Oh dear, with all these Chinese whispers happening on the forum, I made a call to my travel agents ...  :(  erm Greece require 3 months validity left on your passport!  Damn and blast (sorry), but now I gotta sort mine out too as it only left me 1 month when I got back.  Sorry if I gave the wrong info. Right must dash, gotta dive into a photo booth and pull faces for my pic!  :wink:

Offline willowlark

Oh dear, what am I going to do!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 07:18:34 PM »
Have just emailed the NI Consulate for Greece in the hope that they can help me.  I have had this email back from the Greek Embassy:

As long as your EU passport is valid for each day that you are in Greece no validity beforehand is required.
Thank you for your enquiry.

Consulate General of Greece
1a Holland Park
London W11 3TP

Offline malky

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Urgent Passport Question
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 10:12:09 PM »
If you still have any doubts' you should go to the Post Office, and they should be able to tell you.

Or if you really want to you can get a new passport back within 5 working days via the P.O. as well but it will cost you as they check all details before sending it off, so it is just a case of the passport office turning the documents around. I did it this way and had mine back in 4 working days.

Hope this helps, and hopefully see you out there in June. :)
DID i SAY RELAXING......

Booking.com