Author Topic: Mosquitos  (Read 26929 times)

Offline lew19

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Mosquitos
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:07:58 PM »
Can anyone help or give me some good advice?

Each time that I have been to Greece, I have been covered in mosquito bites (usually 30 plus)l. I have used a plug in, a body spray repellent and after sun that contains an insect repelllent, but nothing works for me.

Please help so that I can enjoy my holiday without unsightly legs and being awake all night itching

Thanks in anticipation

Lynda

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Mosquitos
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 11:18:08 PM »
Jen's recipe is to protect lower legs when out eating etc:
Early evening - all over feet, ankles and up to he knees with 50% DEET (eg Boots Jungle Stregth.) Pop Sox under feminine floaty trousers. Light spray over any other exposed skin.

It has transformed her time in Arillas. She only seems to get one or two these days.

Hope it helps
Phil

riggers

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:51:52 AM »
Jungle Formula. works for me :)

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 12:58:35 PM »
lemon and tea tree shower gel followed by avon skin so soft dry oil spray works for me everytime! i also take vitamin b tablets and zinc and vitamin c not sure which does the trick but for the past 3 years havent had ONE SINGE BITE!!
ger x

Offline sunflower

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 01:08:41 PM »
Hi Lynda,
I have had exactly the same problem as you each year.
Nothing works for me either!!!
Looking forward to any useful advice just like you are!
Connie x

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 01:25:29 PM »
Like Phil says the only really anti mosi sprays that work are the ones containing Deet i've tried everything but deet based sprays are the only thing that work for me
My son never uses anything and the little blighters dont bother him 1 iota

Offline sunflower

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 01:31:16 PM »
What is Deet?
Sorry, I'm not English, so you have to explain please!!
Love Connie x

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 02:43:42 PM »
Sorry Connie, I am English but still couldn't explain what deet is

All I do know is that last June the little blighters seemed to just love the deet spray we used, and Colin especially got loads more bites by using it.....

I use Marmite for the vitamin B, Skin so Soft and Superdrug's Buzz Off spray.... then still have to wash my hands and get bitten on them....

lynn xx

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 02:56:50 PM »
Hi Connie click the to find out about deet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET

Offline sunflower

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 03:03:55 PM »
Hi Lynn,
Oh my, oh my. Now I'm back to square one!!
We don't have Marmite in Denmark. Guess I just have to live with it then.
But I've become quite an expert in killing the little bastards though:

One night I'd forgotten to close my balcony door and they just came in attacking like Japaneese Kamikaze-pilots!!! I got 26 of them and felt I won the battle!!!
(just wonder what my neighbours thought if they had heard all that slapping!)

Connie x

Offline sunflower

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 03:08:49 PM »
Hi Tony,
Thank you for the information. I will have to print that out and take it
to my pharmacist. Living next to a wood I'm used to mosquitos, they are in fact
much larger here but for some reason not half as much aggressive.
Connie x

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 04:13:47 PM »
I've tried everything. Vitamin B supplements, skin so-soft etc & I still get bitten badly, but I am bitten less when I use a formula containing deet.
Has anyone tried using a personal mosquito repeller? They clip onto a belt or waistband or can be carried in a pocket. They emit a high pitched signal which is inaudible to humans. I've seen them for sale on eBay & Amazon.

Sara

Offline Julie j

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 06:38:04 PM »
Yes I use a personal mosquito repeller all the time time, I even keep one on by the bedside all night, in fact I have four (greedy I know) they run on LR44 batteries, the little round ones. Jimmy in the Rainbow hates the noise, it is a bit like having tinnitus. I bought them on a First Choice flight. Certainly works for me.
Julie

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »
The little b******s kept us away from Arillas for four years. Jen was so ill and had seventeen blisters lanced, some of them two inches across... She still carries the scars all over her legs.

DEET is a chemical substance that seems to prevent them from attacking your skin, rather than reducing the effects. Tony's link might boggle your mind, and the diagram of the structure is wrong on wiki. But in the end who cares. Use DEET sprays and remember, when you are just going out for the evening, beware. You are all washed and dressed up for a fabulous Arillas meal, you are wearing your sexiest outfit that shows more than it should... (well I usually do lol)

It isn't the men you need to look out for (most of us there are past it anyway....) it is the mozzies. That's when you get bit.

Jen now seems to have it beaten. But never lets her guard down. Me? They hate me. Like your son Tony, I have never been bitten by one.

And Sara luvver, Jen had one of those and it was useless. Don't waste your money.

Phil

Nan

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 07:42:06 PM »
 LOL you are a real tonic Phil!

I took Jen's approach last year in the Maldives evening wear must include long trousers and socks to avoid bites on feet. Three quarter sleeves are also a good idea if you can cope with them. Skin so soft by Avon is very good and you can leave it on your hands which helps, no little fingers getting bitten. If you do this in the evening you avoid the worst part of the day and have to take your chances during the day time.

I had several bad bites when I tried Jungle formula and Boots own repellant but skin so soft Avon has been the most effective. The only time i got a bite was when I got a bit cocky and left it off and used the repellant only !!

If you cover up it will save you a lot of AGONY and you can still be sexy and alluring at the end of the evening with the benefit of air conditioning !!!

Cheers Nan xxx

Booking.com