Author Topic: Skype.  (Read 5514 times)

Offline martin-w

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
Skype.
« on: January 18, 2010, 06:46:18 PM »
Hi All!
I was wondering if any of you use Skype to keep in touch with friends and relatives?
I had a 'preview' the other day when my son contacted my cousin in Yorkshire on his laptop and we had about an hour talking to her. She has just 'joined up' to keep in touch during the recent snow conditions, when she was snowed in for about three weeks. I was very impressed with it, much better than a 'phone call, and apparently free! I have a 10mb. broadband connection and had great sound and vision for the duration.
Thinking of getting a webcam and going on line, and moving forward with this 'new' technology! I'll be 'twittering' next, who knows where it will all end!
Yammas,
Martin.

Maggie

Re: Skype.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:52:05 PM »
Martin, we use skype to contact our family & friends in UK.Also in USA. We pay 5E a month, and for that we can 'phone' any landline in europe for unlimited time every month. It's easier to do that than wait for a greek landline to be installed!

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:34:50 PM »
I signed up with Skype a couple of months ago, I must admit up to now I have only made one phone call, the 1st one was free, I think you have to subribe a small amount and some Skype to Skype calls are free. Once I get into it I think it will be a good  little programme to have.

Take Care

Mary :)

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 01:48:31 PM »
I use Skype qiute a lot, and its really good for having video chats with the grandchildren.

Its also good to use when you are on holiday to have free chats to the family back home. Last year I used the wireless link at the Horizon and I was able to walk around with the netbook and show my daughter the pool, the bar and the view of the sea.

Lastly I have some lovely chats with Marika and Josef and its so nice to be able to have free communication with people in different countries.

If anyone wants to add me,  my Skype contact name is "terrylwarner".

Anyone up for an Arillas Conference call? :-)

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »
Hello Martin,

Heidi and I speak once a week on Skype between Finland and England and have been doing so for about 4 years. Sometimes there are strange sounds on the line but if you hang up and call again it works a treat.

As for the webcam....I really don't want to be visible as I might be in my jammies with wild hair :D
Life is good ;)

Offline Ann K

• Arillas Addict
  • Arillas! Arillas! Arillas!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 07:36:11 PM »
We've just joined up to Skype.  The picture's not wonderful but it keeps us in touch with our daughter and granddaugher in Miami.  Otherwise we would miss some of the quirky things that toddlers do.  I think it's great.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 03:37:55 AM »
Webcam arrived this morning from Amazon. Got it installed,'plug and play' (simples) and downloaded Skype. Tried it earlier and was on line to my cousin in Haworth for over an hour! Great sound and vision and so easy. Best thing I have tried for a long time, trying to contact relatives in New Zealand now.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 09:35:44 AM »
Well done Martin - sounds good.
Sandy x

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 10:37:08 AM »
Ha Erja
about the Webcam I too don't think I'm going to get one as I would likely to be in my jim Jams and my wild hair!!

Mary :)

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 11:17:18 AM »
Been on Skype a few years now , use it to talk to Sis in Australia all the time.
Saved us a fortune (it's free) and great to see the kids in the pool !
Not too bothered about being on webcam with "wild hair" as I only have the one and it's quite tame !
Hope I don't burn !

Booking.com