Author Topic: Small Talk  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
Small Talk
« on: February 11, 2010, 04:37:32 PM »
I don't know whether this topic has been discussed or not before (I did a "search" but it just brought up all the times when the words "small talk" has been used in the various postings...

If you hover your mouse over and entry in small talk, it gives the date and also your IP address.  Is this safe?  Not knowing enough about technology and stuff I could do with an expert opinion....

Janis x

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Small Talk
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 12:01:28 AM »
Janice, good question.

There are programs that can do a reverse lookup of an IP address.

I have just tried yours and I can find out who your ISP and a map was displayed showing that your location is Yorkshire.

I will do another search tomorrow and try to post what is displayed.

The thing is that its a good job that this information is available to Forum Administrators. Take for instance our friend Barrel (or other names), who was a pain in the butt. Because his IP address was known Dimitris could ban him. Also knowing his ISP was important so that if things got worse the ISP could be notified to take action against him.

The reverse IP would not allow anyone into your PC, so you are safe unless you become a ruddy nuisance :-)

riggers

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:06:07 AM »
Thats very good info Terry, so where does my isp come from ?  :)

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:06:39 AM »
You should speak to Barry, Terry - he thinks I'm a ruddy nuisance sometimes!

Thanks for checking this for me - I was concerned that any unscruplous person could "tap into" my computer using my ip address...

I hope Dimitris doesn't ban me!

Janis x

riggers

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:07:42 AM »
must get my o2 dongle out......  haha

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 12:31:11 AM »
Oh riggers, "you are naughty, but I like you!" Dongle out indeed!!! You never did that in the Nut... lmao

(Anyone remember Dick Emery?)

Lot of sense Terry. Mine seems to be the same every time, even though I am in the ADSL pool. People can find out that I'm with Tiscali but you can't get much more (that is of any use) than that. Interestingly, mine locates in Yorkshire too. Just a little way away from Somerset....

I wouldn't worry Janis. See you on smalltalk soon!

Phil

Booking.com