Author Topic: This years Euros?  (Read 10594 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
This years Euros?
« on: February 12, 2010, 10:40:25 PM »
The pound is doing better against the Euro at the moment, and I have been wondering if it would be a good idea to get Euro's now. Crown Currency would give me about 1.178 for next September. Which is similar to what we got last year.

Here is the 12 month graph

Its always a gamble. If the situation gets worse in Greece, Spain or Portugal the Euro could continue to fall against other currencies. But other factors like a general election in the UK could have the opposite effect.

So, HELP!!!!!! does anyone else think it would be a good idea to buy now?

Maggie

Re: This years Euros?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
It's a lottery Terry! You pays your money, you takes your chance.......

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 01:41:41 AM »
Definitely a lottery at any time.I bought some in about October for delivery in March at 1.17. At the time I thought I had done really well....but now, I'm not so sure.!
Sandy x

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 02:06:37 AM »
Sandy - that's not a bad rate at all! We've been looking todayand Crown Exchange seem to be one of the best at the moment at 1.1401 now or 1.164 if we book for 29th April or a couple of weeks later.  ICE Waterloo is paying 1.145.

Here's a link that helps compare rates:
www.travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com and it's updated daily

Janis x

riggers

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:08:07 AM »
I tend to wait hoping and hoping it will get better. I never won at gambling though...

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:40:45 AM »
Similar to what we got Terry, i keep checking crown currency myself but think i will hang on and take a chance , we always try put a tad more aside just in case it drops but what ever the rate is it wont stop us having a cracking time ;-)

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 12:48:50 PM »
Well said, Tony! With the amount of money we'll all be taking it's not going to make that much difference anyway (perhaps the cost of an evening meal or something similar) 

That's if my calculations are correct ???

I've never been known for my maths!
At home I do all the book-keeping, house accounts, etc., but on holiday Barry controls the money (I spend, he pays! - great system!)
Janis x

Offline Alan and Jan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 03:47:29 PM »
Janis
Jan and me have a similar arrangement. I carry it around for her to spend when the fancy takes her. I reckon it might be worth hanging on for a couple of weeks just to see what is happening in the eurozone. Germany said yesterday that their recovery had made a bit of a backward step.
Alan and Jan

Eight letters, three words one meaning- Take That

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 04:30:33 PM »
just looked at crown 1.16.4 for june,,ill need to speak to my mate who.s a spanish bank manager and get his advice ill get back to you,s as he always seems to know when to get best rate.........yammas

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 12:08:32 AM »
I normally jst a bit over here but always seem to get a slightly better rate in Arillas.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline Dave n Anne

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 12:16:58 PM »
Hi

Just ordered my euros from crown again for our trip home in may , got the 1.1701 rate for delivery 4 days before departure . As for Terry's original question I always set a limit of 100 euro a day and just order the amount required , not been dissapointed yet but i am sure the time will come . When it does i may have lost out on a few euros but it will also mean everyone else is on a winner so i won't be too dissapointed ( been on the winning side for last 4 hols so can't complain ) . Also the gamble being is that the euro does'nt rise too much and if it does'nt then you are on a winner , the amount i have changed with Crown compared to my local co-op has saved me £75 , a . nice evening out one thinks in a setting we all enjoy

Yammas

Dave

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 04:09:02 PM »
I wish I'd bought my euros now 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8543007.stm

Sara

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 08:08:07 PM »
Damn, damn, damn!!
Thanks, Sara - I didn't know. going out in a few mins so will see what I can sort on my return....

Janis x

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 01:16:21 AM »
We were discussing the £ at work today because we export a lot of our products and a weaker pound helps us. The feeling is though that once the election is over the pound will get stronger again, maybe up to 1.18 against the € by August

I still wish I had ordered when I had the chance at 1.178 from Crown Currency. Oh well win some, lose some.

I think Sandy played it beautifully ......
I bought some in about October for delivery in March at 1.17. At the time I thought I had done really well....but now, I'm not so sure.!

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 01:23:58 AM »
I hope you're right Terry....they are due to arrive on 11 March!!
Sandy x

Booking.com