Author Topic: Back up all your photos and protect all your data!  (Read 6266 times)

Offline martin-w

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
Back up all your photos and protect all your data!
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:44:53 AM »
Hi!
I have just installed a brilliant bit of kit on my iMac G5. It's called a Netgear Stora. It is a separate unit that has two 'mirror' 1TB hard drives built in that copy files on the main hard drive in the computer to produce a dual 'reserve' storage system to guard against failure and loss of documents and files should a fault occur in the main computer.You are supplied with one 1TB hard drive, but have to buy the second (back up of the backup), which just plugs in the second bay. Got mine on line from P.C World at quite a good discount, when compared to the price 'in store'. It fits in the back of the wireless router via one of the lan ports. It can also be used to 'beam' files/photos, dvd's, etc to the main T.V. for viewing. The OSX 'Time machine' updates it at regular periods, and it ensures no data is lost. It was developed as a 'mini' version of commercial 'backup' systems,primarily for P.C's, but Apple Mac is also supported very well. Works with Lynux, OSX, and most Windows applications.
Hope this is of interest, at least my precious Arillas photos are now safe!
Yammas,
Martin. 

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
Re: Back up all your photos and protect all your data!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »
Sounds good, Martin - I'm not very pc literate, I'm afraid, and am only just considering updating my system which is about 8 years old....

Janis x

Offline sunflower

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 02:08:55 PM »
Hi all,
I tried to find an old thread without any luck.
Anyway, if anyone can remember, we had a very nice
chat about Radio Luxemburg and Radio Caroline.

Today I recieved my Radio Caroline T-shirt, Yahoooo!!!
It's about two sizes too big, so it'll be a nightie, but wow,
doesn't that make it even better as it will remind me of my
teenage-years listening to the radio under my pillow?!!

Connie x

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 05:31:06 PM »
Hi Connie - I think it must be the 50's and 60's radio thread.

Here's a tip - if you click on "forum" at the top left hand side of this page, you'll see a search field on the right - just try putting something in like "radio caroline" and it comes up with that thread.   I thought it easier to put "radio caroline" rather than luxembourg in case it had previously been spelled wrongly!

Love

Janis x

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:46:16 PM »
 Hard Drive

Hi folks i went and bought myself a 1 Terra byte (1000 Gyga byte) hard drive from Aldi and have stored all my pics and videos on it from the Cds i had them backed up on ,so far i have used 5 Gyg of it so plenty of room + i have 450 Gyg still unused on the main hard drive
    The only problem i have is something i remember discussing years ago when writable Cds became available is how long will they last ?will the eventually breakdown ? well i found the answer was YES GRRRRRRRR
    I had 3 one of Dylan when we took him to Turkey in 2003 a disc from around Malham and a disc with Pics on from Cromer in 2003 all the discs just locked the computer up when put in the cd drive i tried several times but to no avail the discs were knackered
    Luckily i also back up on Webshots and have some on Photobucket although the file size isn't quite as large at least i can recover some of the pics it looks like the Imation Cds i used have a life span whats actually happened to them i don't know they look fine and are not marked or scratched
    So just a word of warning back up online or onto a memory stick even better an external hard drive as well as Cds ,i just hope the new hard drive dont go Kaput lol mind you ive never had 1 die on me yet even my 1st puter with its little 1.7 gyg Hd is still working
    Tony

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Its strange how times have changed and also our mindset when it comes to keeping data safe on our computers...we spend hundreds of pounds on equipment and the fact is like vinyl,tape,compact discs,hard drives ,flash memory etc...(Apart from being unreliable and  breaking down)it all becomes obsolete, and sooner than we imagine...
Isn`t it great to dig out all those old photo albums and browse through them looking at photos our parents and even grandparents took many years ago..I wonder if our children will be able to do the same..probably not as the equipment to view them will most likely have dissapeared.....(whos to say our uploaded photo`s will not vanish?)Even the photo`s we have printed ourselves will have most likely faded ( dont most people go for the cheaper ink?).. here today gone tomorow seems to be the norm...I am as guilty as the rest..Boxes full of  old Lp`s ,audio tape (even some reel to reel)  betamax,vhs.philips,camcorder super 8 (even some old cine film)..cd`s dvd`s it goes  on  on.....all destined for the big Skip...
......All but our old family photo albums...!!

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:51:29 PM »
Very perceptive kes. We too have a mountain of old tech stuff full of memories locked away in all sorts of formats we can't use any more. It will get the elbow when we move. Here today.....

Phil

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:48:20 AM »
I agree with the posts about storing data, music, videos and photographs and backing them up securely. I use two external hard drives, online backup with Humyo (very good www.humyo.com) and also have lots of Vinyl, tapes, cd's, dvd's etc. and I still prefer vinyl to digital music. I think we all feel like printing out some digital photos, yet also want to scan old photographs to a digital format.

My biggest concern is the exponential growth of the data. photos get more megapixels, videos become HD, books are digital and so on. About a year ago a 1 TB drive seemed ample in size but not anymore. Also another problem is the speed of data transfer plus the length of time it takes to search.

If you are reading this and have not backed up your PC, please do it. Just imagine how you would feel if all your digital photos were lost forever.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 05:17:15 AM »
My Netgear Stora has now been running reliably for a while now,and it's possible to 'view' data stored over the past two months. Using the OSX 'Time Machine' the whole system backs itself up twice a day, so it's possible to go back to a time and date and 'restore' any data in the event of a main system failure. I think it's well worth the money!
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 11:53:55 AM »
Hi Martin,

Time Machine is a great product. We use a version of it called SyncVault, at work, on our Microsoft servers. Like you say, you can restore to any previous day and even to to a previous version of a file that has been changed.

We use Iomega external drives to then store backups of the backups at locations away from work.

http://www.acutec.co.uk/syncvault

Booking.com