Author Topic: some Good and some bad news  (Read 13987 times)

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
some Good and some bad news
« on: March 23, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »
Well, today I'm going to be in the difficult position to announce some important for our arillas-community news...
The good news are that from today there is a free wifi hotspot available in the area of the beach of Arillas  We will be testing it tomorow in order to find out how far you can get the signal and inform you with more details.

the bad news are that  (believe it or not) the only and one ATM of Arillas and area has been removed by Eurobank today .
They said that they had some ATM's  that were not profitable enough and one of them was this one.
Something that we I can not understand as two years ago it had been one of the most popular ATMS in Corfu as it was unique for our area!!!!???

The family of Arkokal travel who was hosting the ATM is now looking desperately for a new bank to invest in or area, something that can not be achieved easily due to shortage of time and because of the current financial situation in our country.

Let's hope that this problem will be solved soon
If we will need your help in order to create interest form banks I will be posting about it here.

We are going out for tonight
Talk to you soon

Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Re: some Good and some bad news
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:38:02 PM »
That really is bad news as far as I am concerned. Because I have a lot of bills to pay in Corfu, I tend to use the ATM on almost a daily basis at the beginning of the season and really don't want to have to go to Sidari or Agros every day.
If you need any help from us Dimitri over getting another bank interested, please let me know and what we need to do.
Enjoy your evening out!
Sandy x

riggers

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 08:47:52 PM »
Bad news indeed for a lot of people (Visitors) who rely on this. I personally take enough euros with me not to need it.

As for the wifi, that's excellent news as i am taking a netbook for the first time on our next visit... :)

And yes Dimitris, enjoy your night.

riggers.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:49:42 PM »
here here sandy & rigs if theres any thing we can do ..ie  petition let us know...............yammas

Maggie

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 08:54:10 PM »
We heard this news last night, and we think it's terrible that the ATM has been removed.

Dimitri, if help and support is needed to persuade another bank, we're there! And I think you would find plenty support in Arillas. This facility will be greatly missed, by local people and holiday makers alike.

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 09:05:11 PM »
Like you Sandy, I use the machine most days to withdraw the maximum amount to pay bills.
It will be missed by everyone. Finger's crossed another bank will be interested. You have my support too Dimitris.

Good news about the wifi hotspot though.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 09:40:13 PM »
Thanks for the post Dimitris. wifi on the beach indeed! May well have a little go....

As for the ATM, it will be like the bad old days of either taking vast amounts of cash, and storing it in a deposit box or heading to Sidari often. As I can read above, it is even worse for Sandy, Sara and Maggie.

I do hope something can be done. Like everyone else, if I can do anything myself, (like writing to them etc) then please shout.

Phil

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:23:05 PM »
I would also like to add our support for bringing the ATM back to Arillas.  I believe the nearest one is in San Stephanos, we used it once in October last year.  A bit nearer than Sidari, but still a trek of course and not half so convenient!

Hope you have had a good evening out, Dimitri.

lynn xx

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 10:36:50 PM »
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, bankers, I think thats what they call them.

We need this like an hole in the head, I wonder if I can run up a few tabs and pay by cheque at the end of my holiday?
Go get them Dimitris, may the force be with you and see you in July. Mick.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
Great news Dimitris, now we can go surfing on the beach.

Bad news Dimitris, about ATM so lets get canvassing. There is a list of Greek Banks on Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banks_in_Greece

Or, if I could come up with an account number I would fill this form in, which is on the Eurobank website.

http://www.eurobank.gr/europortal/content/europortal/en/content/home/complaint_form.asp?type=pos

Offline coys

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 10:54:52 PM »
If Eurobank had fixed the ATM when it was broken in the summer instead of leaving it three to four weeks it would have been much more profitable.

coys.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 12:21:44 PM »
Oh dear.  Not good news at all as most holiday makers fully expect a means of getting hold of their cash while away. 

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 01:38:28 PM »
If Eurobank had fixed the ATM when it was broken in the summer instead of leaving it three to four weeks it would have been much more profitable.

coys.

Very good point, Barry!

lynn xx

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »
Think laterally - Is an ATM really necessary?
I have cashed a UK Cheque at the Marina Hotel for Euros in the past.
I have paid by UK Credit Card in San Stef using an electronic card reader, so obviously these devices are available for use by businesses in the area.
If a UK Debit Card works at an ATM then it will work on a traders card reader, so if local businesses like the Marina get an electronic card reader then they could offer visitors a Cash facility. We know that the Banks sting you for a cash withdrawl abroad, PLUS a lousy exchange rate from £ to Euros, so nobody will mind a slightly lower exchange rate for using this service - then the local businesses could make some money on the transactions instead of the Banks.
Just a thought.???
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Maggie

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »
Geoff, what about the people who live in Arillas, and used the ATM regularly? I always used it, and this morning we had to go to Sidari for cash. (and to add insult to injury, the petrol keeps increasing in price!) Also, how many people who travel to Sidari for money, will then spend money in Sidari?I know it will happen when local people go there, and then do shopping there. How much will Arillas lose out through this?
And Jo is right, most holiday makers expect to find an ATM closeby these days.

I think it will be greatly missed! And I want it back!!!!!!

Booking.com