Author Topic: some Good and some bad news  (Read 13991 times)

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Re: some Good and some bad news
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 08:37:29 PM »
I disagree with you Geoff. Nationwide don't charge for cash withdrawals and you get a much better rate of exchange at the ATM. It's useful for all holiday makers but for those of us transferring large sums, it's a god send.

Maggie, does this mean the ATM in San Stef is out of action?
Sandy x

Maggie

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 10:15:17 PM »
Sandy, the ATM in San stef works for most cards. We went to Sidari, tho, because the winding road to San stef has been closed for repairs(about time too). It  was as easy to go to Sidari, as we had to call into Bretta on the way back.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 11:51:41 PM »
Lets hope another bank does install an ATM. I never did trust the ATM, especially as it swallowed my card last year. Also, I found Eurobank were not very helpful at all.  I never felt as if I could let my cash go below €100 because of problems with the ATM.

I know many of the local businesses like to be paid in cash and this could now be more difficult.

This is really bad news and I hope the local community can come up with an action plan. I know emails, from an Englishman, to a large Greek Bank won't have a lot of welly but its worth trying.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 12:23:42 AM »
So agree with Maggie. Having driven to Sidari, I know I would shop there, whereas if I could get cash locally it wouldn't be worth the time or petrol.

Ever adaptable Arillas businesses may have to work out how to make a "cashback" type service, if they want to prevent a big leak in their takings during the season.

But I feel really sorry for those like Sandy and Maggie who have depended on it so much. The right answer would be another bank taking over the service and rplacing the ATM. Let's all hope we get it.

Phil

riggers

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 12:48:39 AM »
I think you are all right....but for visitors who don't hire a car and don't have transport, this may be a put off to them..

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 11:58:02 AM »
Sorry Maggie / Sandy - I was thinking more about the seasonal visitors than the permanent residents, for the same reasons that you and Phil have stated - if they have to travel elsewhere for cash they will spend it elsewhere, which is why I thought it might be a good idea for Arillas businesses to offer the service and thereby keep the cash in Arillas. It would also be a service that could be in place much quicker than a new ATM, thereby reducing the impact on businesses for the coming season.
But, from a residents point of view, I do agree with you that the lack of an ATM is going to cause considerable inconvenience, so maybe we should all adopt Terry's suggestion and start flooding the Greek banks with emails supporting it's reinstatement.

Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 11:59:30 AM »
Thats my point riggers. Luckily we always take just about enough currency then spend any extra on credit cards or debit cards as I have read that its really expensive to draw cash out but it was still good to have in an emergency.

Last year, my sister was running out of money and was checking the machine every day to see that they had been paid.  Bearing in mind they were skint there is no way they could have afforded to go to Sidari by taxi. Its situations like this that could prove difficult.

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 12:03:25 PM »
Well at least it won`t be gobbling up my bank cards as it did a couple of years ago...!!

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 07:08:53 PM »
Oh dear!!! Heidi and I just got worried as the ATM has been a sole provider for our "beer tokens".

Now we will have drink only with what we bring and make do. When there is a will there is a way, and for the rest Royal Ionian there is a Master Card ;)
Life is good ;)

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 09:12:32 PM »
ill have my scooter out in june if any needs a lift to agros flag me down ,,am is best .....yammas

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 09:15:28 PM »

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 11:01:36 PM »
That's hilarious Terry!! All this new (fangled) technology and the answer is staring us in the face! Do we take it in shifts to blow the notes out to customers?

lmao
Phil

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
Free WiFi Hotspot
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 01:06:53 AM »
Has anyone used the free WiFi Hotspot yet. Also, if it is working, what is the coverage like.

Terry

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 01:12:22 AM »
Not me yet Terry.
Lindypops.

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »
Couldn't find any free wifi spots other than in restaurants. Quite funny when I asked Spiros in Thalassa if I could use his WiFi, at first he thought I wanted to use his wifey!!!. Well it amused me anyway.

Booking.com