Author Topic: exchange rates  (Read 11618 times)

Offline babs

exchange rates
« on: April 08, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
does any one know what the exchange rate is in arilias today.

thanks if anyone can help

babs

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
Re: exchange rates
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:36:09 PM »
As there hasn't been an update from Arillas and I can't help with the rate there but Travel Money Services
http://www.travelmoneyservices.co.uk/content/euros.asp
are offering 1.1277 for delivery in ten days.
Hope this helps
Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:44:33 PM »
As usual, Pat, we've missed out again! We missed out a month or so ago with Crown Currency Exchange (Sandy got hers!) and have ordered ours at 1.17 ish
When we ordered, others were offering 1.06 - 1.08 so we went for it!

Ah well

Janis x

Maggie

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:25:44 AM »
In Corfu town on Wednesday, the exchange rate at the bank was 1.12.
I don't think there's anywhere exchanging in Arillas before May, and we haven't got the ATM now.

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:07:02 AM »
Eurobank shares dropped by nearly 10%  yesterday (8th April) so no wonder they are cutting costs like removing ATM's.

The irony of the situation in Greece is that as things seem to get worse (ie the doubt increases that the Greek debt can't be paid) so the £ increases in value against the €

see

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8609456.stm

Also after reading the following, I think its more important than ever for us to holiday in Arillas, to do out bit to help.

More than 400 hotels across Greece, mostly small to medium-size operations, have put up ‘For sale’ signs under pressure from the economic crisis.

According to data collected from real estate agents and classifieds for the first five months of the year, the owners of 406 hotels are looking for a buyer for their business.

The hotels are located in tourism-oriented parts of the country, such as Rhodes, Corfu, Halkidiki, Crete and Kos.

A breakdown of figures shows that out of the 81 hotels up for sale in the Ionian region, 49 are on Corfu, 15 on Zakynthos, 12 on Cephalonia and five on Lefkada. The larger hotels up for sale are mostly in the broader Athens area.

The total amount being asked for the operations reaches 2.4 billion euros. However, industry sources believe that the figure is much higher, around 5 billion euros, after taking into account hotels for sale that are not being advertised.

With the Greek economy entering its second year of recession in 2010, income in the tourism sector is seen playing a crucial role in determining the extent of the downturn.

Nikos Angelopoulos, president of the Association of Hellenic Tourism Enterprises (SETE), told Kathimerini in an interview that visitors are expected to spend less this summer than they did last year, resulting in a drop in revenue for the sector.

“The global economic crisis and the trend in recent years for Europeans to book late have formed a blurry picture which doesn’t leave much room for safe predictions,” he said

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 11:56:27 AM »
Just get Euros in Arillas...Marina etc...  let them have the sterling..

If you order 1 month in advance on the Internet £1000 you may get 3 or 4 Euro` extra on the rate at that time...

Also there is the possibility you may not receive it in time or the company goes bust!!

Then there is also  the chance rate could go up..

personally would not risk paying in advance on the internet to save a few Euro`s..
The Internet companies are Gambling with your money..

Comments welcome ..

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 12:11:29 PM »
Terry - very interesting article about tourist hotels on the market and also the BBC report on the Greek economy.  Am not sure the British economy is much better off - but think the politicians don't talk about it because there is little they can do about it.
Kes - I think that whatever you do relies on luck to get the best rate and as you say what is a couple of euros in the great scheme of things.  So long as we have enough for our holiday needs (food & drink mainly)!
Best wishes
PJ

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Dave n Anne

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 12:12:56 PM »
Hi Maggie

Was the 1.12 rate in Corfu to before commision .

Kes I have used Crown Currency Exchange for the last 2 years and never had a problem , I got a rate of 1.1701 and got 1200 euros that cost me £1025 . At the same rate that Maggie said was available I would have got 52 euro less . So 52 euros more to spend in Arillas which gets us a meal out and a few more euros for our friends .

Yammas

Dave

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 06:42:31 PM »
We've never had a problem with Crown Currency Exchange before either.  Looking at a brief resume of the company on webcheck all their accounts are up to date and there's not been any regular changes of name (I'm always suspicious about that!)

....but in any case I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Janis x

Maggie

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 10:05:35 PM »
Dave, I've no idea.......we just saw the sign outside the bank when we were using the ATM.

(this week we went to Corfu Town for money).........cos we don't have an ATM in Arillas.

(Am I becoming boring now?????)

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 11:36:06 PM »
'Course not, Maggie!  :)

lynn xx

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 02:25:55 AM »
Maggie - there should be an ATM in Arillas!
(how many times have we said that now ???)

Janis x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 02:36:33 AM »
Maggie luvver, we will never be bored with your views until we get our ATM back. (And to be honest, we will never be bored by your views, ever.)  

For us it is a struggle in 2010 - but only two weeks of holiday. Put 1,000 euros in cash in a safe deposit and visit every day, or I have to get on a bus at 7am and spend half of a precious day in Arillas cooking on the bus, and then waiting for the return.

Been there in 2002. Stuff the exchange rate. WE WANT THE ATM BACK.

Phil

Janis, you posted while I did, but we totally agree luvver

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 01:15:11 AM »
Sorry for jumping in first Phil - we usually agree in any case!

Janis x

Offline buzz1107

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 04:08:22 PM »
Hi does anyone know what the prices are like in arilla sayt the moment for general stuff, food drink. I know they are sky high in major towns wasnt sure if arillas had benn affected as much? Cheers to anyone that can help

Booking.com