Author Topic: What are we going to do?  (Read 36209 times)

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
What are we going to do?
« on: April 18, 2010, 12:45:29 AM »
.....if this cloud of volcanic ash doesn't lift? I have heard somewhere that the last time this volcano erupted in 1800 and something, it went on for about two years...

What if we can't fly for 2 years?

How will we all get to Arillas?

I am already sitting here planning my strategy....
Sandy x

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
Re: What are we going to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 12:52:39 AM »
OMG! We've GOT to get there....

We could hire a campervan and follow the Arillas trail....

Janis x

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 01:32:32 AM »
I was thinking boat but then our 2 weeks holiday would turn into 5 weeks and I don't get that much leave
Jill XXX

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 01:42:21 AM »
We are thinking along the lines of train to Venice, and then getting the ferry, but this would no doubt take time off our stay in Arillas.

Just hope things can be back to normal soon....

lynn xx

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 08:02:18 AM »
How will we all get to Arillas?
I'm already here. Well, I did mention once that I wanted to live here, but.........
we do have a home & a business to run back in the U.K, so believe it or not, but I am just a tad worried about the cloud too.
Due to fly home tomorrow, so I'm constantly checking any updates.
We could drive our hire car back home & maybe one of you could drive it back for us, so at least one car load of you could get to Arillas!!!

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »
Well, the way I see it is that I just want to get to Arillas even if it takes couple of days from both ends of the holiday.

Eurostar to Paris, train from Paris to Venice and then a ferry to Corfu. When there is a will there is a way :)

http://www.eurorailways.com/

http://www.aferry.co.uk/timetable/VeniceCorfuMinoanLinesuk.htm

Life is good ;)

Offline Ivan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 11:58:20 AM »
I'm kicking myself that we booked flights rather than ferries this year! As a few people have already mentioned there is the time factor, for us in N. Ireland it takes about a week to do the round trip, those in S.E. England could take 2 days off this.
        Back on topic, I for one cannot see this being resolved quickly. As Sandy said the last time it erupted it went on for 18 months+. I also read in the papers that there is a danger of this activity setting off a bigger volcano. So I reckon that it's going to be overland and ferry in some shape this year, I'm sure the boats will be full and no cheaper. Sorry to be such a ray of sunshine on a Sunday morning and I do hope I am wrong. We are due to fly out on 3rd June,
                                              Ivan

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
For once we have been lucky. We are currently on our way by car, having travelled through the Eurotunnel on Friday morning, just missing the chaos. I feel so sorry for all those who can't travel.

Offline Geoffrey with a "G"

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 04:58:48 PM »
Some airlines are already testing flying at different altitudes - they will find solutions fairly quickly because so much money is being lost every day at the moment.
How about fitting filters to the jet engines?
A few big hills spitting out a couple of pounds of dust can`t be such big problem for modern technology to solve ...can it?
Geoffrey with a `G´

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 05:01:12 PM »
Latest update from NATS....

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Sunday April 18, 1500

Conditions around the movement of the layers of the volcanic ash cloud over the UK remain dynamic. NATS is maintaining close dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK’s safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace. We are currently awaiting CAA guidance.

We are working closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.

Based on the latest information from the Met Office, NATS advises that the restrictions currently in place across UK controlled airspace will remain in place until at least 0700 (local time) tomorrow, Monday 19 April.

We will of course continue to make best use of any breaks in the ash cloud to offer opportunities to airlines as they arise.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 05:26:47 PM »
Like our Sandy x, Jen and me sat in the pub just a while ago, and worked out what we will do in the event this still applies in July. It will be train from here, Eurostar, Venice and ferry. Just like our Erja posted. Thanks luvver for the links.

NOTHING will keep us away. Lucky enough, I can stay off the extra days. 25 hours on the boat? As long as we can smoke we'll cope. if not we'll be going to the loo frequently.....

Nature gave us Arillas bay, and this volcano. You just have to make the most of it all. Jen and me always will....

Phil

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 05:32:19 PM »
I agree, Phil, we will do it the same way as you and Erja, as I believe I already posted but not in so much detail....

Still hoping it won't come to that though.

Eileen, feeling so sorry for you right now.....  (And Sara, but at least you're in the best place!!)

lynn xx

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 06:01:49 PM »
Just had lunch with my dad and of course we were discussing this. I told him that even if there are no flights, I will still go overland.

"Right-ho" was the response "I'll start planning our route".

I think he's as determined as I am to be there!!
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 06:24:37 PM »
one word Sandy. FABULOUS

Phil

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com