Author Topic: I really don't get it!  (Read 9554 times)

Offline martin-w

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
I really don't get it!
« on: April 27, 2010, 01:34:55 PM »
The subject of air fares I will never understand. When on 6th. March I booked my flight to Corfu it cost me £409 in total with meals, seat reservations, tax, debit card commission and baggage charge. I was advised to book as the plane was filling fast and the cost would only go up. I have checked the Thomson site recently and to my amazement there is a flight a week later all in for £188!!! In fact Cardiff CWL is cheaper than Bristol or Garwick and there are 'bargains' as low as £98 return for the summer and later in the year! When I first booked, there were no 'bargain' flights, and it just got more expensive in the summer months!
I give up, I just don't understand.....I'm booked, so I will just enjoy....Arillas is just a few days away!
Yammas,
Martin. 

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
Re: I really don't get it!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 05:15:47 PM »
How annoying Martin.  I must admit you seem to have been really ripped off with that ridiculous price.  When you think that we only paid £750 for 5 in Aug! There should be some way that you can demand a refund when there is such a large discrepency, its like they have mis-sold you the flight.

Offline dave mull

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 08:11:15 PM »
hi jo who did you book with tats a great price for 5 where are you flying from
cheers david

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:45:58 PM »
I agree Martin....as you know, my dad and I paid £330 return from Bournemouth for next week. I've kept checking the site to see if the price goes down.....fortunately it hasn't, or I would be feeling just like you do now.....
Sandy x

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 03:27:12 AM »
Hi Sandy!
The fare you are quoting is that each? If so it's about the same as I paid last May. It seems that my flight is 'sold out', but there is a flight, although later in the day from Bristol for £148!
I had to go to the local Thomson shop to get my Euros today and mentioned it to them. The manageress although sympathetic, could not offer any explanation.
I feel very strongly about this, so I intend to ring Thomson's inquiry line today to see if they can shed some light on the subject.
Jo, as you stated, £750 for 5 works out at £150 each! Just checked the website, and there are fares going for £98 around that time from Cardiff! 14th.-28th. May is now listed at £148 return! What is so special about 7th.-12st.May to warrant the £409 tag?
Will update after I have spoken to Thomson.
Martin.

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
Martin

It is a case of 'supply and demand' but with all bookings managed by computers prices can now fluctuate wildly, even through the course of a day. Someone once said that even the numbers of people checking out prices will affect it as the computers are set to adjust prices automatically.
The moral is 'if you see a good price, get it' as it might not be there a few hours later.

I don't know the sums work out now but on 3 occasions in previous years we saved over £100 by cancelling and re-booking immediately. I think they might have raised the cancellation fees since to stop that game!

Obviously the nearer you get to the flight date the better bargains you MIGHT get if there are vacant spaces.  Don't forget though that you have to go right into the booking process now to get the 'full' prices, so the advertised prices mean nothing.

It is all a matter of luck now and fairness does not come into it.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 09:38:09 AM »
Yes Martin....£330 each. It was actually £210 going out and £120 coming back. Like you said, the first flight out of the season seems to be the most expensive for some reason.

However, going out in October, I have paid only £59 for the outward flight (which includes tax, baggage and a meal) from Bournemouth but it was about £250 for the return so we are coming back Easyjet to Gatwick for £39 each plus bags....
Sandy x

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 11:43:03 AM »
Dave, I booked through Easyjet as I did last year. It is definitely a case of book it as soon as they are released though as those same flights would cost me over £1200 now through the same company! It was horrendously stressful at the time as they kept putting the release date back and forth but worth it in the end! Good luck with Thomson Martin.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 01:46:37 PM »
Rang Thomson this morning.
After several 'lists' of numbers to press, I spoke to a very helpful young lady. She said it is always best to book in advance if you want a particular flight, then you are guaranteed a seat. Some flights sell better than others, and it's a bit of a lottery. There have been several factors governing seat prices. The ones advertised at the moment reflect the rather poor sales to Greece in general, and the state of the Euro. My flight was fully booked, and no 'spare' seats were available for 'reduced' price. Corfu harbor is now a 'pickup' point for many Mediterranean cruise liners, and some flights are fully booked to accommodate those passengers, hence the higher price.
My flight  price is made up to the £409 by 'additions'. The basic cost is £309.38 return, plus tax at £39.60,meals at £15, one check in item a bag/case at £20, reserved seat at £15, world care fund at £1, Debit card surcharge at £10.
So there we have it! Looks like it's best nowadays to be more 'flexible' with dates, and avoid planes that are designed to coincide with Cruise liners!
So on those grounds, the £148 return flight would cost £248 'all in'. Hold baggage used to be free.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 03:10:33 PM »

Hold baggage used to be free.

Martin
Nothing's for free, there is always an hidden extra.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 08:43:48 PM »
£10 for a debit card is a bit steep. What on earth would they charge for a credit card? I know EJ wanted £5 per person to book with them by credit card...why, when it's only one transaction?? It also adds £25 perbooking for a family of five....
Sandy x

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 08:57:34 PM »
Are you sure its a debit card you paid with Martin ?
I paid by debit card but havn't paid a £10 surcharge although it would not surprise me 1 jot if they start charging
Tony

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 04:13:26 AM »
The card charge was 'new for 2010' as was the baggage charge. Last October both were 'free'. There was a credit card charge then, but that is something I only use in an emergency. You live and learn, I'll certainly do more research before my next booking September/October this year. More 'fiddles' that Mantovani and his orchestra!
Thomson are local for me, saves the 6 hour trip to Gatwick, I am always treated well by their staff and have got to know the crew, so I feel less stressed. Leg room is good and the 'local' aircraft is almost brand new, seems to be based at Cardiff. Down to one flight/week to Corfu, hope they don't decide to cancel that!
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 04:45:05 AM »
Like us, once it's booked the only point is being there. Too late to bother. maybe next time...

More 'fiddles' that Mantovani and his orchestra!

Martin, I thought only Jen and me were old enough to remember Mantovani!!! Silver strings? My dad loved it and so did I.

Have a great time. Get photographed by Dimitris and posted on the forum. We will all be watching. Bon voyage

Phil

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 09:41:18 AM »
Yes Martin, at least you are booked up and headed to Arillas! The moral of this story is never EVER go back and check prices once you have booked!! :-)

Booking.com