Author Topic: Cash Machine  (Read 18144 times)

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Cash Machine
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 05:51:15 PM »
Thanks Jo. We were hoping not to have a mass of cash to worry about, but might yet. Will bring a few days worth in cash, but the one thing we will avoid is losing a precious day to a cash run to SanStef or Sidari. If we had a month or more, then OK. But two weeks for us is the lowest limit.

Your turn soon....
Phil

Offline annemarsh

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 02:13:43 PM »
We always take 3 to 4 days worth of Euros, 2 to 3 days worth of sterling (cash), and the rest in Euro travellers cheques (with debit cards and Credit cards for 'just in case').  Most of the businesses will change cheques , or take them and / or cards as payment so it's never really a problem . Ok, they might take a bit of commission but I think it's worth every penny if it saves me trekking around north-west Corfu for half a day looking for a cash machine!
It would still be useful to have an ATM back in Arillas 'tho.

Anne

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2010, 11:19:38 PM »
Just got back today, make sure that you only take the new £20 notes, the older ones are not now changed, this was from Olga. Got 1.20 to £. Mick

Offline daisyday

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 12:18:37 PM »
We were told the same about £20 notes from the travel office on the other side of the road (sorry can't recall the name) but they also told us that they have been advised to no longer accept £10 notes and asked us if the UK were getting rid of them!  So beware - only take £20 notes (new ones) and above.

We took quite a lot of sterling with us and got a good rate in Arillas - about 1.18 when we were there a couple of weeks ago - but they do take 2% commission - I was advised it is the same rate everywhere.  At the same time we were offered around 1.12 and no commission in M&S and Tesco. 

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 12:31:59 PM »
This Travel Money calculator is quite a useful tool...
http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/holiday-money

FairFx currency card are very currently offering 1.20 euros with a flat fee of 1.50euro for withdrawals.  Not any good if you don't have transport to the nearest cash machine :-(

Maggie

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 01:58:24 PM »
You all know my feelings about the removal of the ATM, but I would advise that anyone coming to Arillas this summer should either bring euros with them, or some sterling to cash here. We went to Sidari for cash today, and all % ATMs were closed. (empty)....
We had to travel to Acharavi for our money!!!!!!

And the petrol is back up to 1.58. I am not a happy bunny.........

Offline BBB

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 03:16:35 PM »
We did the same trip to Sidari yesterday Maggie and all out of order. We came home via Avliotes and that one was working.

Offline mikej

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2010, 09:43:09 PM »
For those wanting to know the old notes that are no longer legal after June 30 have a pic of Edward Elgar on the reverse the new ones have Adam Smith on them.Just checked all ours before we set off for our annual trip back to Arillas tonight,we have about 750euros which normally lasts just over week so will be searching for an ATM thereafter anyone recommend the most likely one to be working.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2010, 11:14:07 PM »
The ATM  outside Dimitris/Markato Supermarket, in Acharavi has never let us down.
But..... you just have to get there, ( About 20 mins from Arillas by car )

The one outside the Chemist in Avliotes is also supposed to be reliable.

Negg

Offline mikej

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2010, 11:41:53 PM »
Thanks Negg...we will have a hire car by next Sunday so will try both of these.

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 03:03:27 PM »
The one outside the Thomas Bay in San Stefanos was working the last fortnight when we were there.

Offline Pip

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 11:31:41 PM »
Hello - we are coming out next week (23 July) - does anyone know if the new machine is in place yet please???

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 12:02:05 AM »
I used the one in Agros the other day....no problems....but again, you have to get there.
Sandy x

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 02:43:57 AM »
Was no sign of it when we left on the 13th. Can't see it happening this summer.

Maggie

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 11:17:54 AM »
No ATM yet..........

Booking.com