Author Topic: How busy is it this year  (Read 15851 times)

Offline Derek

How busy is it this year
« on: May 31, 2010, 06:11:24 PM »
Hi all can anyone tell us how busy Arillas has been so far this year ?

Is it quieter than normal because of this crazy credit crunch & the Greek economic situation ?

Hopefully people are still trying their hardest to have a holiday in Arillas this year & all the local businesses aren't suffering to much

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: How busy is it this year
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 06:32:05 PM »
Derek, like you I hope that they all have a good year. I admit to my vested interest, I want to live there (exactly there, not nearby)  with Vasillis and all the Armourada crew, Dimitris and Litas and Spiros, with Jimmy and Spiros at Rainbow, with... all of them as neighbours.

Luckily for me my, Jen does too.

Eggy posted a worrying answer to your question last week. About wondering why more weren't enjoying our Arillas. He said "well it's only May." Or similar. I feel it in my bones that life will be hard this year. I hope I am wrong.

Phil

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 07:32:27 PM »
It was very quiet at the beginning of May....
Sandy x

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 08:36:49 PM »
It's still a variable Arillas folks. - The "changeovers"don't help as some leave on a Friday wth more arriving on the Monday , or vice versa. ( Some quiet days )
So we get these quiet spells. I was shocked though, on Saturday to see so many cars parked up and so many people around.

It will be mid June, I think for Arillas to have a bigger buzz than we do now.
But........ Make no bones about it, there is a buzz, albeit gentile, happening now.

Cheers
Negg

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 08:56:37 PM »
Sigh of relief exhaled Eggy. I hope to see them all sweating and running round like demented chickens when I get there in July. So many customers they can't cope. Big tills, little spills. Will add our little bit to it. Fingers crossed

Phil

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 09:45:20 PM »
We usually get to Arillas in September and have found it to be fairly busy.
The beach was packed.  Hopefully it will be a good season with not many put off by hard times.  Some how, we all get there.  The price we paid this year was the lowest we`ve ever paid, so is it really that hard for people to get there?
I know job situations lead to uncertainty and maybe it`s hard to commit to a holiday, but we coudn`t imagine not getting away. But there are different circumstances for different people, I suppose.
We need new visitors to discover Arillas to keep it going, and we will do our bit.

Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 09:52:27 PM »
Yes Arillas is quieter than normal for May as we have just returned..Lots of vacancies..in most of the popular hotels and apartments....but it apears to be the same all over Corfu....Bad press from English tabloids & travel companies (conspicuous by their absence)+ poor exchange rate may be one of the reasons.
   For those who are recluctant to go independent it has never been easier.with cheap flights from most UK airports..and unless more people take the independent route things may not improve..prices have not realy increased and  Arillas is still great vaue for money...
Quote"Its not the quantity of Visitors its the Qaulity" Unquote

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 10:46:42 PM »
Hi, Kes.   I understand people like to go independent but even with cheap flights plus accommodation costs can anyone really argue against our package price of £470. We`ve not gone independent beacause we`ve always had good package prices.
Having said that, we are not against booking direct. Just horses for courses.

Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline sunflower

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 12:50:59 AM »
I've only been going independant the last couple of years
and it works fine for me. It started when my travel Agency
stopped having trips to Arillas.
I spoke to Marino at the Horizon about it, and he said I could
book independantly which I did. All in all, the price was the same.

Connie x

Offline JennyD

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 05:55:48 PM »
We returned home this morning after a 9 hour delay with Monarch which was not pleasant. we spent a very pleasant week at The Bardis Sun Studios which was busy. However I think that Arillas is quieter than usual this year and as for the rest of the island that we saw was very quiet with many holiday apartments not open, with pools either empty or stagnant. Many hotels only had a couple of guests in them.
We have been to Arillas 9 times in 6 years but we think that we might give it a break now for a couple of years as the world is a big place.
Jenny

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 06:23:21 PM »
after a 9 hour delay with Monarch which was not pleasant

Hi Jenny,

Was it the Monarch flight to Birmingham (MON1643)?

Cheers

Terry

Offline sunflower

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 06:35:09 PM »
Hi Jenny,
Don't give up on Corfu!!!
You're quite right about saying there are lots
of places to see and to go to. But if you've got good memories
from the past, I'm sure you will get more in the future.
Greece is in trouble at the moment, all we can do is support by
returning again and again. Then things WILL get better.

Connie x

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 10:46:01 PM »
Every year I say we will try some where different at the beginning of the season and return to Arillas in September.  Every year I open the holiday brochure and guess where it automatically opens - CORFU.  Then I start thinking of all our friends over there, the friends we meet up with and the happy memories and just book again to the place we love best ha ha ha, works for us.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline JennyD

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 06:15:25 PM »
The flight was Monarch 1829 to Manchester.  Just about getting over the delay. I've emailed Monarch to see if we are entitled to any compensation.
Jenny

Offline mr_ccurtis

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
  • Cornish Chris
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
Just come back after a month stay , I . would estimate visiters no,s were down buy one third in may but by the start of june they seemed to be back to normal,I think the volcano had a lot to do with that . the Thomas Cook rep said a lot of people booked but didn`t turn up for their holiday for fear of not be able to get home on time.
       As for me , can`t think of a better place to being stuck in.
CORNISH CHRIS

Booking.com