Author Topic: WOULD I GO BACK TO ARILLAS  (Read 27992 times)

Offline nora

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
Re: WOULD I GO BACK TO ARILLAS
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 10:27:57 PM »

I'm about to book for a first time visit to Arillas - the post hasn't put me off. Infact the relaxed attititude to health and safety is one of the many charms of Greece. I think censorship is wrong - its a very valid observation - and if people are put off - then maybe they are the type of people who would not enjoy themselves in Arillas or Greece anyway.

Offline sunflower

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 10:34:53 PM »
Paul C and Terry,
I totally agree with you.
Anyone negative should just keep it to themselves,
who needs that anyway????!! I certainly don't.

We have a saying in Denmark:
If you can't take the smell in the Bakery: Stay away!

Connie x

Offline mr_ccurtis

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
  • Cornish Chris
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »
Paul C and Terry,
I totally agree with you.
Anyone negative should just keep it to themselves,
who needs that anyway????!! I certainly don't.

We have a saying in Denmark:
If you can't take the smell in the Bakery: Stay away!

Connie x
  sorry to here you live in Denmark but thats not my fault.
CORNISH CHRIS

Offline sunflower

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »
You're a "lovely person" Chris, hope you are happy,
sitting on your dark cloud. The rest of us just enjoy life.

Connie

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 10:56:03 PM »
Censorship (if that’s what you want to call it) Mr Ccurtis, should be used on posts that are an exaggeration of the facts. It’s like News of the World Journalism.

If you like to go out for a good meal [ and there`s plenty of places to go to ] but don`t mind paying dear for a drink with it 9/10 e  for ltr of wine, 4.50 for baileys or whiskey, soft drinks are more expensive 3.50/4.50 e for coke lite or 7.50 e for sprte.

You make it sound as if every taverna in Arillas charges these prices.

If you don`t mind the narrow roads being used as a race track by young and sometimes not so young drivers with cars or bikes that have no silencers fitted.

We have all been to Arillas and know that this an exaggeration.

If you don`t mind walking down a road that has a metal bar sticking out of the ground to a hight of 2 inches/50mm. forming a bad trip hazard. [ outside Akti ] or deep concrete ditches that you could break a leg trying to get out of the way of a young driver who thinks it`s alright not to give you room to walk.

I could do a Risk Assessment of roads in Greece and in the UK and find examples like this. Thats if I wanted to!!!!!!!!!!

If you don`t mind staying in an appartment where the drains smell ,the electric switches and sockets are falling off the walls and bare wires are taped up with insulating tape. and the shower only has warm smelly water if the sun shines, and the basins have no plugs.

If the room was this bad, why don't you name the establishment to help people who may be going there soon? Or are you scared that we will find out that this is another exaggeration?

If you don`t mind paying double for items in the super markets compared to those in Sidari or Archaravi  ie: 21 e for a bottle of whisky in Arillas 11 e in Archaravi other food items are the same comparision

Was it the same Whiskey? Give us more examples to show where prices are double.

It is beyond me why you would want to publish this and then say you would still go back. People on this forum have villas in Arillas and you could have put someone off booking already.

I am sorry Mr C curtis censorship of Cr** is required.

Offline sunflower

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 11:07:35 PM »
P.S. There was a miss-spell in your post:
It's not to here I live in Denmark, it's to hear I live in Denmark.
Do you have a problem with that as well?.
Anyway, end of conversation from my part. Stay well and try to be positive.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 11:10:22 PM »
Chris - AKA Mr Curtis makes some valid points here and, living here, I can associate with some of them.

I've steered away from this post but am now finding it difficult not to put my point of view across. It won't be tonight anyway as Retsina , Ouzo and a great meal does not make hiiting the keyboard very easyily. <<< Is that spelt right?

Open minds people for, in my opinion, a good posting with, as said, some valid points

And.... Chris may be back, and he just might buy me a beer, but albeit a small one in this day and age. ( and Greek economy)

I may answer this one in more detail soon but some snippets to leave you with are:-

" In June 2007 a "cheap" bottle of whisky cost me e5.30. Today the same brand on the same shelf of the same supermarket in Corfu Town is e10.99."
and....
"A pack of Superkings was e2.40 today they are e3.70. - Hmmmmmm!"
"3 years ago a euro of unleaded would get me 12 kilometres now it gets me 8"

Cheers Peeps and be nice.
Negg

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 01:03:58 AM »
I've kept out of this so far, but......as regards prices, how many of us can go out for a meal in the UK and buy a litre of wine (NOT a bottle) for 9 or 10 euros in a restaurant? How many of us can buy cigarettes here for 3.70 euros?

When I was in Arillas in May, I felt all the bar owners and tavernas were doing their very best to keep their prices low for us, often at their own expense. Don't forget they are all trying to earn a living there AND are having to adjust to additional costs of food/fuel etc themselves in their own lives.

If we're honest, many of us have been attracted to Greece for many years because it has been so much cheaper than the UK (amongst other reasons of course) and it is certainly not the fault of the people of Arillas if this is no longer the case.

Speaking as a public sector worker who may be facing a 5% pay cut soon, I reckon we all need to make the most of today - you never know what is round the corner.
Sandy x

Offline heatherberriman

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 01:13:58 AM »
Well said sandy,arillas people go out of their way to keep prices down at a high cost to themselfs.some dont even know if they will still be able to last the year out,and then dont have any earnings for at least six months.we need to support them and we have already booked again for next may even if prices do go up.

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 02:03:45 AM »
I think posts should be left where they are. From time to time, for whatever reason people have differing views. Lets not slam them or shoot them down. If someone puts a point across, its the duty of this forum to show it AND allow others to respond. If the points are valid, the bulk of the replys will back this, if not.....

My Carolyn suffered a broken suntan from a pot hole on the path in Pefkos (it was a scratch, but it was her 10 day tan) I had a taxi run over my foot in Zante (took the toe clean off my shoe, hold on I was wearing sandles) As they say s##t happens, but it happens all over the world. Arillas is no worse than anywhere else, but its so much better than most other places too. Iffy things happen, I should know (AB) but surely the forum is here to report the good, the bad and the ugly. The ugly being my mug being back in Arillas in 19 sleeps time.

I think I have said all I want to say.

Offline Ian C

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 03:42:43 AM »
Hello everyone,
 I've been to Arillas twice and August this year was to be my third, but due to circumstances beyond my control - redundancy - I have had to change my plans...but I have every intention of coming back sometime soon, if not this year then certainly next, it's a gem of a place and long may it continue to be special to all of you too.....Ian

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 08:37:49 AM »
I dont feel that this post should be moved but I do think Chris could have started by saying  "Yes I would go back despite .......... then it wouldnt have sounded so negative
 If this accomadation was so bad Chris, I think I would have said something to the owner while there and I am almost sure something would have been done.
Now money wise I think what Sandy has already said is spot on. Just my view and nothing against Chris. I believe we met on the beach about 3 years ago? Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline mr_ccurtis

• Cornish Chris
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 09:43:14 AM »
I dont feel that this post should be moved but I do think Chris could have started by saying  "Yes I would go back despite .......... then it wouldnt have sounded so negative
 If this accomadation was so bad Chris, I think I would have said something to the owner while there and I am almost sure something would have been done.
Now money wise I think what Sandy has already said is spot on. Just my view and nothing against Chris. I believe we met on the beach about 3 years ago? Viv
your are right Viv we did meet on the beach and I value your point of view.
CORNISH CHRIS

Offline mr_ccurtis

• Cornish Chris
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 10:56:36 AM »
I think posts should be left where they are. From time to time, for whatever reason people have differing views. Lets not slam them or shoot them down. If someone puts a point across, its the duty of this forum to show it AND allow others to respond. If the points are valid, the bulk of the replys will back this, if not.....

My Carolyn suffered a broken suntan from a pot hole on the path in Pefkos (it was a scratch, but it was her 10 day tan) I had a taxi run over my foot in Zante (took the toe clean off my shoe, hold on I was wearing sandles) As they say s##t happens, but it happens all over the world. Arillas is no worse than anywhere else, but its so much better than most other places too. Iffy things happen, I should know (AB) but surely the forum is here to report the good, the bad and the ugly. The ugly being my mug being back in Arillas in 19 sleeps time.
sorry to hear about Carolyn`s mis fortune, perhaps steel toe capped sandles should be worn in Zanti . I think you are perfectly right in your well balanced reply Chris

I think I have said all I want to say.
CORNISH CHRIS

Offline mr_ccurtis

• Cornish Chris
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 11:19:40 AM »
Chris - AKA Mr Curtis makes some valid points here and, living here, I can associate with some of them.

I've steered away from this post but am now finding it difficult not to put my point of view across. It won't be tonight anyway as Retsina , Ouzo and a great meal does not make hiiting the keyboard very easyily. <<< Is that spelt right?

Open minds people for, in my opinion, a good posting with, as said, some valid points

And.... Chris may be back, and he just might buy me a beer, but albeit a small one in this day and age. ( and Greek economy)

I may answer this one in more detail soon but some snippets to leave you with are:-

" In June 2007 a "cheap" bottle of whisky cost me e5.30. Today the same brand on the same shelf of the same supermarket in Corfu Town is e10.99."
and....
"A pack of Superkings was e2.40 today they are e3.70. - Hmmmmmm!"
"3 years ago a euro of unleaded would get me 12 kilometres now it gets me 8"

Cheers Peeps and be nice.
Negg
   Thank you Eggy, I`m`sure your spelling is better than mine. thank you for your partial support and yes I will buy you a pint ,Sea breeze and Grazila are having a price war at the moment Grazila are selling a pint for 1.50 e See breeze 1.40 e but Ammos is charging 3 e for a SMALL Mythos so I won`t saying yamassss to many times there. chris
CORNISH CHRIS

Booking.com