Author Topic: euros, to buy or not to buy  (Read 24124 times)

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
euros, to buy or not to buy
« on: June 19, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »
have just been to local travel agents to get some euros, and the rate has now gone down to 1.11!! why didnt i get them last week at 1.17???
didnt get them, someone told me post office did better rate than anyone else, post office shut, no rates up anywhere, typical, i will be at post office monday morning, better not be less than 1.11!!!! or shall i wait until after the "emergency budget"?? or shall i get them in arillas?? decisions, decisions!!
ger  x

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: euros, to buy or not to buy
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 07:42:39 PM »
ger luvver, after the demise of the ATM, we are going to buy travellers cheques in sterling and change them at Olga's. We might well get it wrong but it is like backing a horse in the Grand National. Our key issue is that we don't have to get the bus to Sidari and lose half of one of our precious days in Arillas, only to find the machine is empty.

Have a great time - like my Jen I can see your excitement mounting as you prepare....

love from Phil

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 09:22:56 PM »
We got 1.117 to the £ when we bought from Crown Currency Exchange for our holiday in May, BUT Barry lost them (and found them when we got back home!!)
We got 1.034 to the £ from Thomas Cook at Manchester Airport - NEVER NEVER NEVER again.
In Arillas itself the rate averaged 1.15......

I'd take either sterling or travellers cheques and change there

Have a great holiday, Ger and Phil and anyone else who's going soon

Janis x

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
lastweek in Arillas it was 1.19 so we changed etra money ready for September just incase it went down again.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 12:00:11 AM »
Wise move, Jill - ours will be at 1.117 - ouch!

Looking forward to meeting you and Mick in September! .....and comparing tops, lol!

??

Janis x

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 12:56:33 AM »
ICE are still offering  1.1747 today, which seems pretty good.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 01:20:33 AM »
Have a great time yous lot, luvvers.

It amazes me how we are now worrying about 1.12, 1.15. Not very long ago it was worrying about 1.52 or 1.55. Ask our Egg and Wegg.

We all seem to get used to what these politicians dish out while they buy new houses and live the life of Reilly, claiming it all back on expenses. F**k the exchange rate. Irrelevant. I'll get paid.... 30 tonnes of manure? I knew politicians in Britain were s**t but here in Somerset they bought tonnes of it on taxpayers money.

Doncherjustluv our innocent, naive Arillas?  Well believe that and you'll beleive anything. Naive yes, innocent no. Arillas is adorable, but full of people. And all that goes with that. And I love it and all its warts. Agree or disagree, it won't change my ambitions.

Phil

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 01:24:56 AM »
Aye, behind you Phil. Agree with what you`re saying. Anyhow, I met a lady in town today, from your part of the world. Really lovely, and at LJM`S.
Lindypops.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 01:44:14 AM »
Lindy luvver, I'm a simple man (as many would testify...) who is truly happily married to a woman who loves me too. You know that already. Not even sure why I said that, perhaps I needed to. Jen will read it tomorrow...

But please explain LJM'S. I can imagine all sorts, but have really never seen that one. So hope to see you for real one day in Arillas.

love
Phil

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 02:04:37 AM »
Aye, we all love ya Phil, Liverpool John Moors.
Lindypops.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 11:54:52 AM »
e118 hear at the moment ....yammas

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 11:55:56 AM »
Yammas indeed!

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 12:09:46 PM »
you're so right phil, why am a worrying about a few euros? get what i can and spend in my favourite place, martin will just have to have less mythos ha ha!!!
ger x

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 12:18:01 PM »
Although the rate isn't good at the minute we didn't spend as much as we normally do - what's different I don't know as we did what we do every time we visit and had mam with us.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 06:28:11 PM »
As the Beatles sang "Its getting better all the time"

This is on the BBC website today

The pound has hit a fresh 19-month high against the euro as the 16-nation currency comes under renewed pressure.

The pound rose almost half a cent to 1.2389 euros, its highest level since the immediate aftermath of the financial crisis in November 2008.

The pound is likely to strengthen further against the euro over the summer, according to analysts.

If correct, this suggests you would be better off waiting to buy euros for your summer holiday, although the difference is likely to be small.

Duncan Higgins at Caxton FX says the rate could rise by two cents in the next month or so - from the current 1.23 euros level to 1.25 euros.

Bear in mind that this is the institutional rate - you won't get such a good rate online or at a bureau de change.

Travelex is offering a rate of 1.1937 to its online customers.

This means you would get 596.85 euros for £500. If the rate went up by two cents, you would get 606.85 euros.

Booking.com