Author Topic: Going to Arillas on my own  (Read 7947 times)

Offline Debie

Going to Arillas on my own
« on: June 28, 2005, 02:21:45 PM »
Hi

I have just booked a holiday to Arillas, after reading all your views, it sounds wonderful.  Thank you everyone.

I'll be coming on my own and am excited to have the time to myself to laze around and do my own thing.  I'll probably spend most of the time reading. sleeping, walking and sunbathing.  It's been a hectic year and I can't wait to get there.

As much as I am really looking forward to going on holiday on my own, it will be the first time and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions.  I am not looking for anyone to "adopt" me while I am there and I am quite independent, but it will definitley be different.  In a good way.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Debie x

Offline Aly

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 04:16:02 PM »
Hi Debbie.  Good on ya for holidaying on your own - its the best!  I too go to Arillas on my own, because its not intimidating whatsoever least of all for the lone lady traveller! Im going in 3 weeks time, my 4th visit doing this so I would highly recommend it for your first time.

You will be surprised on how many people do travel on their own so you won't feel out of place and not made to feel that way. The local people (and visitors) are very welcoming and you couldnt have chosen a lovelier place to relax and sunbathe. There is something for everyone, but I will let you find your way around the place, its more of an adventure rather than following someone else's preferences, and I do mean that sincerely.

Have a fab time and if you are there in July, maybe I will see you.

A

Offline coastalwalker63

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 04:27:51 PM »
:D Hi Debie,

I think you're very brave holidaying on your own; I don't think I could ever do it.  I will be going with my 11 year old daughter, which is fine during the day, but I do tend to find that she makes friends on holiday and spends the evenings with them.  I must confess that I find this difficult and I usually sit on a table on my own feeling sorry for myself, but putting a brave face on it.

You sound like this won't be a problem for you, as you are, obviously, very independand and Arillas sounds such a lovely, friendly place.  I have never been before, and I'm really looking forward to it.  I am going at the same time as Aly.  When are you going?

Enjoy your holiday

Sue x

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
On yer tod!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 04:28:37 PM »
Well Done Debie - Go for it.
I used to go, on my own, every September for one week. A very good way to unwind etc. It's accepted more and more now that,very often, people like to be their own company but, years ago, when I did it, there was always some kind person who liked to take you under their wing. You will find plenty of friendly people to talk to, if you do get bored. If you are going before the end of July then go to Brouklis one evening and say hello to Hanaka. A very nice Dutch Lady who, like you, is an independant traveller. She asked to share our table one evening and very good company she was to!! Lots of Laughs. Her English was better than mine as well, so no communication problems.
Have a good one but watch out for those smooth talking Greeks.
Negg

Offline Aly

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 06:29:31 PM »
Girls girls girls.  Now Sue, dont you dare feel sorry for yourself sitting at a table on your own :shock:  Do you know, its the only time we can do it without it being frowned about. There is no way I would sit in a restaurant or go to a bar etc etc on my own here in the UK - people look at you as if you are a freak  :o  So I absolutely relish this as a holiday treat. Besides, I have never ever managed to get through a meal yet without speaking to someone on the next table. Its fab and like Eggy says you meet great people. Last year I met a German lady and her daughter. I speak no German  :oops: but the daughter (whose I have totally forgotten and I apologise), was learning English at school and I was the guinea pig :D
Go girls  :lol:

Offline Debie

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 07:59:44 PM »
Hi ladeeez (sorry, and Eggy too!)

Thank you so much for your replies.  I'm glad you said that Aly about there being quite a few people who travel on their own.  I've been to Corfu once before and other Greek Islands 3 times, but always with a friend or my husband (soon to be ex!) and so I guess I haven't really been aware of lone travellers.

I am quite happy going to the cinema and out for meals (not fancy ones though) on my own in the UK, but I must admit it is more the evenings I am not sure about when I get to Arillas.  If I was going with someone, we'd come back from th beach late, shower, then go out for dinner.  But I wonder if I'll feel comfortable on my own in a taverna in the eveing, whereas I'll be absolutely fine eating out on my own during the day.

I think I might have a more substantial lunch and maybe more of a snack at the appartment in the evening.  I guess I'll suss it out when I get there.

Any more tips will be greatly received though!  Will be there 4-18 July by the way.

Thanks again,

Debie

Offline WILLIAM

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Going to Arillas on my own
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 08:34:56 PM »
Quote from: Debie
Hi

I have just booked a holiday to Arillas, after reading all your views, it sounds wonderful.  Thank you everyone.

I'll be coming on my own and am excited to have the time to myself to laze around and do my own thing.  I'll probably spend most of the time reading. sleeping, walking and sunbathing. It's been a hectic year and I can't wait to get there.

As much as I am really looking forward to going on holiday on my own, it will be the first time and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions.  I am not looking for anyone to "adopt" me while I am there and I am quite independent, but it will definitley be different.  In a good way.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Debie x

You have chosen the right beach Debie.

Arillas is the perfect place for relaxing.

Let's meet on the beach.....

Let.z exchange mobile nr by pm....
William Butler Yeats
Arillas Lover Nr. 1
Owner of the "PsaroKotopoulos Travel & Adventure"

Offline Debie

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 08:36:37 PM »
Are you flirting with me William?!!

Debie x

Offline WILLIAM

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 08:42:59 PM »
Are you flirting with me William?!!

Debie x

NOT FLIRTING...IN ARILLAS WE ARE ALL A BIG FAMILY.....
William Butler Yeats
Arillas Lover Nr. 1

Offline Debie

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »
Oh, that's really lovely.

Thank you!

Debie  :D

Offline WILLIAM

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 08:46:41 PM »
Oh, that's really lovely.

Thank you!

Debie  :D

WHEN YOU WILL EXACTLY ARRIVING?
William Butler Yeats
Arillas Lover Nr. 1

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 06:30:39 AM »
hi debbie
me and my family are in Arillas from 4th july to 18th july also.
i will try and look out for you
where you staying?
suexx

Offline Aly

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 02:50:31 PM »
Hi Debie, my first ever time on hol was in Zante, I too was perplexed at the prospect of what to do in the evening but hey! there is no stopping me now. I always take a book but never read it.  PEOPLE WATCHING  :shock:   :P  IS MY FAVOURITE HOBBY with a glass o wine and cigarette. People will always chat to you in the tavernas etc.  Its such a pity we dont adopt the same attitude here in the UK  :cry:

Hence I love to holiday on my own, the freedom without being made to feel a twerp!  :wink:

Offline Debie

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 03:13:08 PM »
Thanks Sue and Aly!  Being there on my own will be a bit of an adventure but I can't wait.  

Please don't think I'm being rude (or paranoid) Sue but as I am travelling on my own I am a little bit more cautious than usual about safety so please excuse me if I don't comment on where I'm staying.  Isn't it a shame you have to be so careful these days.  

Thank you again for all your reassurances.  I just can't wait till Monday!

8)

Debie

Offline sue

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 03:49:12 PM »
i totally understand.
well if i dont bump into you
have a fantastic holiday
im sure you will love Arillas.
suexx

Booking.com