Author Topic: Renewal of vows - not Arillas but I know you guys can help advise :)  (Read 20545 times)

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
Re: Renewal of vows - not Arillas but I know you guys can help advise :)
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 02:50:22 PM »
Sorry guys Ive got to say it.

You are talking to Chaplains and Churches but you dont want to talk about God???

Corfu is mostly Greek Orthodox and Im guessing your not so they would be unhelpful, unless one of you is Catholic the Roman Catholic Church cant help you, so you are looking for an Anglical or similarly liberal religion on an Island with only 100,000 people. Church choices would be extremely limited.

The renewals you are seeking carry no weight with the Church if you are already married but they might be persuaded to Marry you in the eyes of the Church and God if you were practicing their faith and previously married in a civil service only or bless your union under the same terms.

If you are not looking to enter into a Civil Marriage contract in Greece or anywhere else, Im not clear what a Greek Civil Servant would precide over?

It seems unlikely you will get anybody in Civil office to do it and if you dont want a mention of God then what kind of Priest will help? Im reminded of Joey in Friends finding something on line empowering him to be a minister for a wedding.

I can only offer advice on the mainstream Christian Religions. Scientology anybody?

Have you thought about finding a pretty spot and stating your vows amongst your closest family and friends? No reason this couldnt be as profoundly meaningful for you. It will be a lot less hassle. Luckily on Corfu there are no end of amazing spots.

Im all for this but hope a bit of Dutch Uncle might help.

Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline Grace06

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2010, 03:12:21 PM »
I woul of preferred not to have the ceremony in a church just because I didn't marry in a church in the first place it seemed a bit hypocritical to be honest. I want to do this because of my personal circumstances when we first got married. I would of preferred to make our vows again to each other anywhere but a church but we have no choice however the vows matter to me more than the venue

Grace

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2010, 03:59:19 PM »
Hi Grace

For someone without faith I cant understand why they would want to come to Church for a wedding because it would be just an old building filled with meaningless objects.

Hypocritical No, because the Church is always there to welcome you and not judgemental when you need it. However, to participate in the rituals of a faith you need to share its faith.

In faith, Marriage is a deeply religous union, for the most part for once and forever. Its considered a gift from God. Like baptism you only get to do it once because you cant keep asking for gifts!

Marriage is probably the only civil contract you cant renegotiate. Most contracts you can update or amend without breaking in law. However, as a Civil contract you either have it or divorce to break it.

I dont think you would be able to re-marry the same person without a divorce anywhere in the world. Actually this might be problematic for the juristiction of the marriage and under which Laws any future problems might be settled.

You can restate your vows in front of witnesses but I cant see any Civil Authority bringing legal authority to doing this.

However a blessing by the Church should be possible, either as a faith based marriage or a blessing if you share that faith.

Given that this isnt what you want I go back to the idea of restating your vows in front of friends and family as witnesses.

Dont know what else you can do.

Thought this might help people interested in getting married in Corfu. http://www.weddingchaos.co.uk/wedding-abroad/greek-wedding.asp

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 04:13:11 PM »
Sorry

Just to add "renewal of vows" is a misnomer. You cannot renew a religious vow because its fundementally forever or under the gaze of the eternal. Thats why some faiths struggle with divorce as a concept.

You can ask for a Religous blessing. That might mean exchanging vows in front of a priest. However most religions do expect you to be part of that denomination. Church of England (Anglican) is probably as liberal as it gets but even then they might ask if at least one of you is baptised into the religion.

Offline sweetcheeks2k

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 04:42:30 PM »
I am not someone who doesnt believe in God as I have been dedicated to the church but for different reasons church wasnt an option for me when we originally got married in cyprus. Like Grace the vows mean more to me and our wedding day didnt go as planned because of our co ordinator and I was looking for a 'budget' way that we could make our anniversary special to us and after reading about other people who had renewed their vows for a smaller fee I contacted the church and the church if I am fair are very overpriced and if we were going to pay the 300 euros to them then I would rather have done it in my home town but that isnt what I wanted and for this reason I looked into other ways to renew vows and have read on other people renewing their vows at town halls and so this was the next port of call for us.

Hope this reads a bit better than what it does. Lol.

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 05:39:34 PM »
Hi there

Its a blessing not a wedding! You might have to ask the right question. In the UK the civil bits of a Church wedding still cost £350. Additional hard costs might be for flowers, bell ringers and organists etc. but you would get asked to make a "donation" (not exactly voluntary) to use the Church on top of this.

I dont know what the going rate is for the "donation" but if its a nice Church (in demand) and you are not parishoners I think £350 would be quite cheap in the UK. I expect you might be asked a lot more here and a hotel wedding here would be way more.

Old buildings cost lots to upkeep. Thats one reason so many churches are being sold off in the UK.

Hope that helps.

Offline sweetcheeks2k

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2010, 07:24:21 PM »
Your messages confuse me. Lol. A UK wedding in church near me would have cost less and a nice church.

I dont need no advice anyway as se4ems on hold but thanks.

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2010, 08:17:34 AM »
Sorry if I have confused you. Please let me know if I can unconfuse.

Found the following links which to back up what I know.

http://www.standrewschippenham.org.uk/WeddingsAtStAndrews.htm

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=22389

http://www.christchurchswindon.co.uk/PDFs/Wedding%20Pack.pdf

As I alluded to previously if you are a regular attendee at your local parish Church the tradition seems to be that the expectation is reduced for your donation.

I don't know how many Anglican Churches there are on Corfu. There certainly are very few Catholic churches and I think they are only in Corfu town.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.

It's all very complicated. That's why we got married on a beach!

Offline sweetcheeks2k

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2010, 10:43:53 AM »
Thanks for that. We were originally going to get married in our local methodist church, we dont attend at a church. But for certain reasons we got married in the amphitheatre at ayia napa town hall in cyprus. Would have loved the beach but the hotels who provided that were very overpriced. Basically me and hubby went abroad to get married alone and our families were happy with this but mother in law & partner turned up and it turned out our wedding co ordinator had arranged for them to be 'suprise' witnesses even though we told her no family and friends would be at our wedding due to so called fueds etc! This is why we were looking at renewing our vows when we go to corfu for our '2nd honeymoon'.

We were looking at renewing vows in corfu pref on the beach and so I contacted the church which had previously 'renewed' some couples on here vows but they no longer offer the 'donation' as a new chaplain has taken over but instead a fixed fee. I was then advised to contact local town hall as they can also offer renewal of vows via registrar or local ?mayor and so this is what my next step was as the hotel agreed to let us use their grounds for this but I have not received a response from the town hall I contacted and this is why it is no longer going ahead.

Thanks for your advice.

x

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2010, 11:54:27 AM »
Which Town Hall are you trying to contact?

Now the Mayor in Greece is a local funtion, which is not exactly the same as "Dick Wittington" Mayor of London.

Anybody know who the Mayor is in the Arillas area?

He might be the type of fella you could approach for this for a reasonable cost to bear witness to your vows. There won't be a legal component but I dont think a registrar will do this for the same reasons.

Know what you mean about family feuds. We uninvited family to our wedding. We told our friends and figured if they wanted they would work a way to come out to the Caribean. So hey presto my two best mates showed up and Mandys best.

We missed out on two sets of divorced parents playing politics with us in the middle.

We were the most relaxed people on our wedding day. Nobody could believe how chilled we were. Went for a walk, had breakfast, went reef Diving for an hour, lay in the sun, played water volleyball, had lunch, had a massage and got married on the beach at 3pm. Drank 8 bottles of Champagne courtesy of the Hotel DURING the ceremony!

Tanned, relaxed couple, with fantastic backdrop to the wedding photos.

Offline Grace06

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2010, 12:06:17 PM »
family issues also our problem they were all in attendance many years ago but hardly any of then agreed with the marriage due to our age and said it would last long but were celebrating a large anniversary next year so this is why it's important to me. I am willing to pay the 300 euros but like sweekcheeks didn't really want the church but I'm still struggling for a venue

I hope this makes sense
grace

Offline Grace06

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2010, 06:39:58 PM »
Hiya sweetcheeks,

I had an email back from a company who said they can officiate a renewal of vows ceremony anywhere for €250 can even be done on a beach. If you want the details let me know and I will send you the details :D

A Very Happy Grace

riggers

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2010, 12:36:02 AM »
Great news for you guys.....  :)  :D 

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2010, 03:38:58 AM »
I'm sorry in advance if I upset yous who want to renew your commitment to each other. I think that charging 200 or 300 pounds or euros is ridiculous.  Restating your promises should be free. Or only the expenses if you employ someone who helps you feel that it matters.

I have watched three of our forum family do that on the beach in Arillas. They have all gained from it and I applaud it. 

But like I've said it before, you can renew your vows every day with nobody else looking. Alan and Jan do it, Jen and Phil do it, and so many others do it. Spend your money on romantic meals together in Thalassa, or Brouklis. Or at home together. Ceremonies are all very well but in the end it is your life together that matters. Nothing else.

Sorry folks, this is your philandjen. We will never change. 

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2010, 03:32:14 PM »
I think your so right Phil, Pete and I had one of the nicest days we have had, but we didn't have to pay for it as the vicar only wanted his petrol from Corfu to Arillas and he wanted to do it for us. We had met him before as a friend and he and his good lady wife thought it was a nice thing to do for us. The best part of the day was having our friends with us to share it. Niether of us would have paid the silly prices that are mentioned here because like you & Jen we renew our love with every new day and new experiance that we share together. All that said the memories of that day will never fade. Love Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Booking.com