Author Topic: Advice needed on booking independently please!  (Read 12172 times)

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
Re: Advice needed on booking independently please!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 09:03:50 AM »
I don't know Sharon that either of your incidents make a case for tour reps rather than holiday insurance. I'm sure the family of the deceased tourist will be doing battle with the repatriation clause in there insurance. Not sure the operator will be interested.

My experience of tour reps is a mixed bag to say the least. I think you would get help in Arillas elsewhere.

As EU citizens we benefit from the free medical care transferred from our NHS.

Easyjet were indeed one of the best for caring for their passengers due to the ash.
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 10:02:41 AM »
I don't know Sharon that either of your incidents make a case for tour reps rather than holiday insurance. I'm sure the family of the deceased tourist will be doing battle with the repatriation clause in there insurance. Not sure the operator will be interested.

My experience of tour reps is a mixed bag to say the least. I think you would get help in Arillas elsewhere.

As EU citizens we benefit from the free medical care transferred from our NHS.

All so true Frank.  As many of you know earlier this season my mum took seriously ill in Arillas.   

Before midnight she felt a little unwell, but by 1am she was very poorly and needed medical attention.  Keith drove down to Arillas to fetch the doctor but failed to get an answer at the door (we later discovered 24 hours medical cover is not provided in Arillas). He then went along to Coconut Bar knowing that the lads there would help.  Kostas offered to lead the way to the clinic in Agros.

Keith came back up to the villa to fetch my mum and within 15 minutes we were in the clinic in Agros.  Two young and very efficient doctors stabilized my mum's condition before arranging for her transfer by ambulance to Corfu Town Hospital.

Despite the language barrier, the strange and different 'ways' of a foreign hospital we managed to get through the whole experience without any hitches.  All the medical paperwork, changing of flights and arranging accommodation for our extended stay was easy to sort out ourselves. 

Personally I think a young rep' (especially a rookie in May despite his/her good intentions) would have been out of their depth and more of a hindrance than help.

The people of Arillas offered help and much support to us...as they would to anyone in difficulty.  I'm fortunate that I'm very capable in these situations but if I hadn't been there were many offers of help from the local community.

For sure...never travel without an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) to cover medical care AND never Travel without Insurance.

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 10:25:21 AM »
Not sure how many of you have an EHIC card but you do need one it replaced the old E1-11
a while back and last for 5 years its easy to apply for online and you can also add spouses and kids here's the link it takes about 5 minutes to apply and is usually on your doorstep within a week
As Eileen says never travel without it you just don't know what lies ahead hopefully a damn good holiday but you never know,so heres the link just follow on screen instructions.
https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do

Tony

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 06:43:06 PM »
For the first couple of years we went to Arillas via the package deal route but very rarely saw the travel reps and to tell the truth we could tell them more about the local area etc than they could tell us.  We now always go indpendently and know that if there were any problems there any of the locals would be happy to help.  The main thing like previously mentioned is to make sure you have your insurance and take your EHIC card.
Eillen hope your mum is ok now.

Jill x
Jill XXX

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 07:18:59 PM »
I endorse that as well. Have BOTH your EHIC card AND decent travel insurance, whether independent or not. I would also turn to local people I know for help - as Eileen says they are far more effective and knowledgeable - they live there daily.

Not on the scale of the crises mentioned in this thread, my notorious dog-bite was at least free!!! Because I showed my EHIC to Dr Jannis, my insurers waived the excess on the policy and I got the full cost of my treatment and stitches back.

Phil

Offline mathsboffin

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 07:24:21 PM »
It's not so much having the reps there, but having the support of the TO company and knowing you are not alone.  I know if my husband died whilst away, I wouldn't have a clue what to do and probably wouldn't be in a fit state to do anything.  But to know that a company like Thomas Cook who will have dealt with similar situations before, are there for you would be reassuring at the time.  Not so much the rep, they couldn't even get the time of the welcome meeting right this year, but the support of the company.  I know the Thomas Cook office in Corfu Town handled everything very well and efficiently for the man with the broken neck, along with the lady in the hospital who sorted out the insurance.
Sharon

Booking.com