Author Topic: What do you want in 2011?  (Read 20600 times)

Offline emeralddragons

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: What do you want in 2011?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 06:46:35 PM »
We shall be flying in from Finland soon, and have asked a friend from Sweden, a newcomer to Arillas, to join us there. Like all our friends, she has heard us describe the delights of Arillas many times, and now we have more or less promised her a Wine Festival in the bargain! Any news about those dates? Emeralddragons

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 09:51:44 PM »
Arillas for us, must never change it`s appeal as `the perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`, which is why we all love the place. It does need new Arilliacs, however.  Never seen it advertised anywhere.
Tour operators must not cut back their accommodation as it`s where most first timers will find out about the place and hopefully be tempted to return, package or independent.

Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 11:15:08 AM »
Just found this post of yours Phil - it's a bit of a paradox this one, you need to be careful what you wish for as it may just come true.
It is commendable that many posters on this thread would like to see more visitors in order to boost the profits of all those local business people who many of us regard not just as the providers of our magical holiday but also as friends. But the balance is a very fine one - too many new visitors to Arillas will destroy what it is and turn it into another Kavos or Sidari - good for those locals who wants to make large profits, but not what the majority of posters on this topic want - for the tranquility and unspoilt nature of the resort to remain as it is.
Of course, change IS inevitable, I first came to Arillas in the late 1980's and oh boy has it changed since then, but I guess that what we all want is for our dream holiday destination to remain as unspoilt and as far removed from the fast-paced modern world as it can, whilst still providing a good standard of living for all our local "friends" so that they can have a relaxed off-season period without the worry of insufficient funds to see them and their families through to the next holiday season. To achieve this very fine balance will require an exceptional PR person, and the joint efforts of all Arillas businesses working together to ensure that the vision of a "perfect" Arillas is achieved but not over-suscribed.
What do I personaly want in 2011? For that fine balance to be achieved, and for me to be able to finally afford to take the early retirement that is now 3 years over-due and make my permanent move to Corfu.

Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 11:44:23 AM »
Nicely put, Geoff! I, too, had thought about the downside of too many visitors but couldn't manage to put it into words as eloquently as you. (perhaps it's because I did take early retirement - five months ago - and my brain is addled already!)
Only joking - I took early retirement for a specific reason and am still very busy sorting things.
What do I want in 2011? Well, firstly, we're back in Arillas in May with our good friends, but, basically, I'd like a better year than this one has been. AND I'd like to wish all our friends a healthy and prosperous future

Janis x

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 03:11:34 PM »
Hi

Arillas will never become Kavos or Sidari. The business owners live in Arillas largely and have family there. Sidari is largely rented out to seasonal operators. You just would do this on your own doorstep!

Corfu doesn't work like England. You don't buy a business with a massive mortgage and become a slave to your debt. For most a successful season means making enough money to live out the off season.

A lot of these businesses are handed down without encumbrance. Whilst this makes them reasonably resilient it's important that any business makes enough money to reinvest in itself.

If Arillas becomes tired and tatty then it will lose visitors and end up in a downward spiral.

However nearly everybody has said that August was a good month in Arillas and although the other months were a little down as I understand I wouldn't be expecting any wholesale change in Arillas next year. The downturn is a global event, where you going to go to do better?
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 02:42:14 AM »
I have loved reading this. We all agree that Arillas must maintain it's unique character and never try to become another Sidari, Kavos or Faliraki (Rhodes.)

But it won't. At least not in any of our lifetimes. Just like Frank (Corfusoon) says in his very considered post.

Geoff mate, I have never met you but feel I know you anyway, and we both want the same thing. Mind you, I retired once and hated it. Beware retirement bearing gifts - it is very over-rated by the companies who profit from it. And it can be bad for your health.

Arillas will need a fan club to survive. People who realise like we all have, that you can make so many sorts of holidays there. And book up and go there again and again. I believe that the more who get to be Arillas Addicts, the more likely it is our wishes will be fulfilled.

Phil

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 01:04:08 PM »

Very interesting comments and I agree with a lot of what's been posted.....it's a fine line.

I actually work in PR & advertising and I'm Editor of a monthly magazine which is a monthly predominantly Bristol based publication.

I've been trying to think of ways I can help local commerce in Arillas by doing a series of articles and features that might best serve the lovliest place in the world.
As we speak, we're getting ready to go to print with our September issue - we're going to print early because a certain BB has thrown a spanner in the works and is swanning off to Corfu on the 24th!

I want to speak to Dimitris about it when I arrive but if anyone has any ideas, do let me know or PM me if you'd prefer?

My concern is that if I produce a series of monthly articles over the winter months they won't really hit the mark or achieve the impact required for Arillas. One thing in my favour however, is that you can fly from Bristol to Corfu so there's an element of ease.

In the New Year I hope to set up my own media firm - so there's a lot of scope but all suggestions, thoughts appreciated.
BeckyB :-)

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 07:09:07 PM »
Becky luvver, you have just volunteered to be what Geoff described as our "exceptional PR person." In fact you have taken the job and started work already according to your post. Our Dimitris has expressed his views in many ways already. But you are quite on target to seek out his opinion and publish it far and wide. In many ways he has become not only the voice of Arillas, but the guardian of Arillas. I can see him cringing just now (well, he "never reads my posts" so maybe not) but I believe what I am saying.

Jen's and my interest is simple. We want our bones buried there eventually, and have a vested interest in the survival  and success of our own slice of nirvana.

I'll go and get another voddie frappe now, and shut up.
Phil

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »

I love you just the way you are Phil - don't you dare change a single thing (which I'm sure you won't!).
I am perhaps in a good position to promote, give a voice, explore elements of PR etc & I would willingly do this for what is, in my opinion the most beautiful place on earth.

As I said, looking forward to speaking to Dimitris about it & welcome any thoughts, suggestions from all good Forum folk :-)

Wish you were going to be there when Christian & I are over in a couple of weeks - I would LOVE to meet you & Jen very much :-)

One day eh....
BeckyB xx :-)

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 09:36:27 PM »
Go for it BB, there is nothing better than a bit of publicity good or bad.
Must look you out when I'm in Bristol next,was there this week and in my work diary for next week also and prob the week after that.....goes with the territory lol
Ang

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 10:17:35 PM »
Becky and Christian, the forum still has a picture of yous two leaning over the balcony above Brouklis. You'll be doing that again soon! Let us have another pic for 2010 - I'm sure Dimitris will take it. And maybe post it on Arillas Today.

Ask him about Jen's brown bread (I have white...) Beer for breakfast is a moveable feast when you get up at 1145 am. We'd even meet Jo Wisset and her Mick's ban on alcohol before noon... (Yes Jo, I did read it - lovely report!!)

We have watched Whispers and Calypso go down. In 2002 they were two of our favourite places to be. If you can get more interest going about
what is, in my opinion the most beautiful place on earth.
on which we agree completely, it can only help Arillas isolate itself from whatever happens in the Greek, and world economy.

And yes, we would also love to meet yous two for a drink or three in the Nut

Phil

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 12:46:06 PM »
Well Phil - looks like you've got the ball rolling on this one - well done mate.
Becky - so glad you are taking up the challenge of being the exceptional PR person - it sounds like you already have in mind just what is need needed to keep the balance. I look forward to reading more after your meetings with Dimitris. May even get to hear about it before then as it looks as though I will be over there around the same time as you and Christian so may well see you in Brouklis.
Whats the name of your publication - is there a website for it so we can all take a look at it? Would it be the kind of publication where you could perhaps do a series of personal profiles on the "new generation" business owners like Dimitris at Brouklis, Akis at Mathraki, Marinos at The Horizon, etc. who are spearheading the change of business ethic by using I.T. and the Internet, but who are also upholding the values and traditions of their heritage. Just a thought ???

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 01:36:28 PM »
You sound like the ideal person to promote Arillas Becky. I'm sure that between you & Dimitris you'll come up with some interesting ideas.
Regarding writing articles & producing them in the winter months - I think after Christmas, thats when people start thinking about their summer holiday most & any article promoting Arillas & it's way of live & what it has to offer in glorious hot sunshine is bound to grab people's attention after our long, cold winter months [just my opinion!]

Good luck with setting up your own media firm. You'll, without a doubt get lots of suggestions from your forum friends.

Enjoy your visit at the end of the month.

Sara..x

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 02:30:07 PM »

Geoff,

Forgive my delay in replying to you and thanks for your comments/suggestions.
The first thing I really want to do is speak to Dimitris and get his thoughts on the whole deal as I wouldn't want to appear presumptious but to try and get the most for him and the local community.

I've several ideas of my own how this might be achieved but once I have a better feel I can best employ my skills.

I'm part of the 'What's On' group that produces a monthly family entertainment magazine and we also manage the What's On websites that cover Bristol, Bath, Cardiff & Weston but as I say, I will be moving away from this in the New Year to set up and develop my own company - although I will still be involved editorially with the group.

Finally, thank you  for your lovely comments Sara - you always make me feel great - you know me, I'll certainly try to do my best :-)
BeckyB :-)

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 06:08:15 PM »
Becky - I think it was me that was being presumptious - you are clearly the professional in this matter and you are quite right that nothing should be decided until you have spoken with Dimitris. I am quite sure that following that meeting you will devise the "right" campaign for Arillas.
Incase I don't get to bump into you and Christian at the end of the month can I say now  "Good Luck" with your new venture, and I hope you both have a great time in Arillas.

Booking.com