Author Topic: Driving to Corfu  (Read 13887 times)

Offline Curt

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
  • Rare Corfu Lizard
Driving to Corfu
« on: January 21, 2011, 01:08:23 PM »
Hi Guys,
Anybody out there had the experiance of driving to Corfu from the UK ?
I am thinking of following the Tom Tom route but I am a bit concerned about finding
places to stop and sleep on the way ?
Any info would be greatly appreciated !
Going down in the first week of March to work on my house !!
Curt

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Driving to Corfu
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 02:30:11 PM »
We've done it several times and have really enjoyed the trips. I always plan the overnight stops before we go and always book ahead. It's worked really well so far and we've tried several routes all via Venice.

We use Google maps to plan and then our TomTom on the journey. Be careful though, as some of the newer roads ie around Venice are out of date on our TomTom. The choice is paying toll roads through France, or free autobahns in Germany. You'll need Vignettes if you travel through Switzerland or Austria obtainable from Petrol stations near the borders.

Our next trip is back to the UK. Anek ferry to Venice (30% off at the moment), then through the Brenner Pass, overnights in Innsbruck, Stuttgart and Thionville (France). Then the Eurotunnel also booked ahead as it's much cheaper to book in advance. We like to take our time and see a few sights on the way. I can give you more info if you need or you can find several threads about this on the Agni.gr site.

Offline JohnJ

• Arillas regular visitor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:55:39 PM »
Ann and I are planning to drive to Corfu  latre season 2012.  Unlike most people we are hoping to make the journey a part of the holiday.  This means keeping off toll roads and autobahns and going the pretty way.  We also hope to have plenty of overnight stays and take up to 6 days to get there including the ferry trip from Venice.  I have worked out the route with the aid of a computer programme called Auto Route Express.  The only problem with Auto Route Expres is that my copy was issued in 2003 and there have been no more updates as I suspect that most people now use Google maps or Sat Navs.  This means a bit nearer the time I might try Google maps to check if my proposed route is still do able.  Anybody know if I will need winter tyre to drive back through Switzerland during late October or early November?
JohnJ
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline Geoffrey with a "G"

Driving to Corfu
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »
Winter tyres (and having chains in case of need). are compulsory if your route takes you though Austria.
Geoffrey with a `G´

Offline Curt

• Rare Corfu Lizard
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 12:10:55 AM »
Seems like most of you go via Venice ?
I was planning on the ferry from Brindisi , in S.E. Italy , which is a much shorter crossing.
Any reasons for not driving down that bit further ?
Oh ... thanks for the quick replies !!

Offline coys

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 12:48:17 AM »
We drive to Venice because we can do the journey from Calais in one hit, 13 hours actual driving time using French and Italian motorways with two of us driving. Stopping a few times to eat drink etc you can be in Venice in 20 hours. Anek Ferries with 30% off costs around £350.00 return with cabin for two.

Barry.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 01:07:48 AM »
Seems like most of you go via Venice ?
I was planning on the ferry from Brindisi , in S.E. Italy , which is a much shorter crossing.
Any reasons for not driving down that bit further ?
Oh ... thanks for the quick replies !!

For us it was a mind numbing long haul down the leg to Brindisi.  We certainly wouldn't do it again unless  intending to spend time sightseeing. 

Mind you maybe you should try it because afterwards Venice is a dawdle!

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 02:14:44 AM »
I would love to be driven down through Europe, soaking up the passing scenery, heading ultimately to my favourite place to spend time. But I hate driving slightly less than Jen does, and three to six days of hell, instead of 12 hours of hell on EasyJet and airports, would be daft for us two.

Sorry I posted here when I have nothing to contribute to the subject except another point of view about driving from UK to Corfu. I think those who get off on rolling along the road could have a great time doing it and goodonyer luvvers. But if I could be eating in Brouklis 12 hours after I shut my front door, I would fly every time.

Phil

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 10:11:10 AM »
My thoughts entirely Phil as i hate driving maybe if i had the money and was spending a few months in Arillas i could cope with it and take a leisurely drive down stopping off at different places for a couple of nights
But like you its the airport for us last year we left home at 2pm and was at the Mathraki apartments for 11pm so flying for me wins hands down :-)
Tony

Offline BBB

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 12:27:35 PM »
We've never considered the Brindisi option, as it's another 600miles with the extra petrol and toll costs. The ferry still takes around 8 hours so you might need a cabin. Also, I think (may be wrong on this one) that the Brindisi ferry goes to Igoumenitsa where you have to disembark and then get the shuttle ferry to Corfu. This adds another 38€ for a car and 9€ per passenger and another hour or so. The Minoan and Anek ferries from Venice both go to Corfu all year round.
Venice is such an amazing place to end your journey and the sailaway views of Venice are breathtaking. We really enjoy the ship. We have an outside cabin and really relax after the long drive and arrive in Corfu fully refreshed.

We started driving down a couple of years ago and found it opened up a whole new world for us. We love the challenge and seeing the different countries and cultures and have found some new favourite places. For us it is part of the holiday.

Offline Curt

• Rare Corfu Lizard
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 12:39:57 AM »
Well what can I say ...
You guys have convinced me ... its gona be Venice !

And for those non drivers ....
I,m only doing it to get my flatpack Kitchen , Wood burner , Showers , generator and tools down there , along with a mate who is going to help me fit them !
I would much rather fly !

Our house has just got a roof and the windows will be going in during February , so its all getting really exciting !
Thanks to all ...
Curt

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »
Good luck with the build Curt :-)
Tony

Offline BBB

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 11:50:43 AM »
Best option for your first drive Curt! Which route are you taking? Good luck with the drive and let us know how it goes.

Offline Curt

• Rare Corfu Lizard
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 12:23:52 AM »
I think I will just follow the Tom Tom route !
He seems to know the way !
Thought we would overnight in Strasbourg ? in a hotel just off the motorway.
Thanks Guys ....

Offline coys

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 12:30:43 AM »
Have a good trip.
Have you booked your Ferry yet.
Barry. 

Booking.com