Author Topic: Where is everyone staying this year?  (Read 86317 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Where is everyone staying this year?
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2011, 11:05:13 PM »
PhilantSue,as convenient and great as the packages can be (and we have used a fair few in the past) the reality is that the owners get a pittance from companies such as Thomson and Thomas Cook.

When we saw the Marinaki being built (whilst staying in Arillas on a package) we asked around and found out who the owners were then arranged for a 'viewing'. We have never looked back. We pay FAR less than any package could offer (as a family of 5). I still reckon that you could just get a couple of flights, turn up and you could find somewhere to stay no probs. When you have kids as we do, you need to be a little more prepared but I still think it would work out ok.

A perfect example of this is my friend and her family who turned up at The Kaloudis last year (for one of their private rooms) to find they had been double booked.  They walked down the front, popped into the Marina and ended up getting a couple of rooms for a good 200E less than they were originally going to pay.

Offline Jaz

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
  • Stop War, Make Peace.
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2011, 11:30:04 PM »
how do you manage to get kids in there when thompson will not let you book kids because of the balcony?

Offline mikej

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2011, 12:31:02 AM »
Jo..
Quite agree i couldn't believe how little the tour operators pay appartment owners ,we too have booked direct for the second year running and arrange our own flights ,wouldn't say it was cheap but i have the satisfaction of knowing that all my money for our accomodation is helping the owners stay in business along with all meals etc we have and then there's the bar bill but we won't go there,and next year will be more competition on flights with Ryan air now flying to Corfu.

Anyway just 2 weeks to go and it's Arillas here we come just hope the exchange rate improves a bit can't decide wheather to exchange most of our cash here or wait and change over there ,any thoughts on this anybody?

Mike.

Offline Jaz

• Stop War, Make Peace.
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2011, 01:10:37 AM »
I find when I go abroad exchange rate counts for nothing really unless you are changing thousands... couple of points this way or that way makes a difference of a £50 in a grand...and you only have to buy a couple of extra ice creams and buy an extra round and youve 'done' your rate!
Answer to your question.... went to Arillas back in May and the guy in the travel shop opposite Brouklis Taverna gave us a good rate with no commision for cash.It was 1.08 at home and he gave us 1.13,  5p in the pound better.... thats £12.50 better off if you change £250 or a fiver in a hundred quid. I'd say, dont worry about it and enjoy your holiday.

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2011, 12:34:54 PM »
No prizes for guessing where we are staying!

We are over between the 18th July and the 1st August.

I know Ann is over and it looks like Phil and Jen perhaps Jo Wisset. Who else is about while we are there this year?

It would be lovely to get a few of us together for an evening.

Regards
Frank
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline Jaz

• Stop War, Make Peace.
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2011, 08:30:51 PM »
PhilantSue,as convenient and great as the packages can be (and we have used a fair few in the past) the reality is that the owners get a pittance from companies such as Thomson and Thomas Cook.

When we saw the Marinaki being built (whilst staying in Arillas on a package) we asked around and found out who the owners were then arranged for a 'viewing'. We have never looked back. We pay FAR less than any package could offer (as a family of 5). I still reckon that you could just get a couple of flights, turn up and you could find somewhere to stay no probs. When you have kids as we do, you need to be a little more prepared but I still think it would work out ok.

A perfect example of this is my friend and her family who turned up at The Kaloudis last year (for one of their private rooms) to find they had been double booked.  They walked down the front, popped into the Marina and ended up getting a couple of rooms for a good 200E less than they were originally going to pay.

Hi< can you tell me how you manage to take children in the marinaki please as Thompson wont let me book kids because of the balcony's....how much do youusually pay for rooms please,,, many thanks, Jaz

Offline june

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »
Hi Jaz

Thomsons is Mathraki and not Marinaki.

June

Offline nicki

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2011, 09:04:06 PM »
I'll be at Irene's Studios with my daughter, her bf and my 9 year old twins! Arriving 15th til 29th! Keep an eye out for us! :) xx

Offline june

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2011, 09:04:20 PM »
PS

At the moment Mathraki are not available on Thomsons for 2012 so maybe they're with another company or could be independant again in which case children may be accepted.

June

Offline Jaz

• Stop War, Make Peace.
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2011, 09:17:14 PM »
Hi JUne,,, thanks for that,,,must of been having a 'blonde' moment. I know they are not taking kids this year but will try next,,, many thanks again, Jaz

Offline julie

« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2012, 11:07:16 PM »
THE Akti for me two weeks commencing 8th June . We have been there twice before . lovely clean apartments . friendly owners with nothing too much trouble.  I cant wait :)

Offline Sarah1

« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2012, 11:34:14 PM »
 Tria Adelphia for us. Third year. Two weeks from 11th June
Sarah

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2012, 11:50:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum julie and Sarah1. Rapidly becoming Arillas veterans! You need to have twenty posts to see all of the forum, and 4 visits to be badged Arillas Regular Visitors. Hoping to hear more from you both.

Phil

Offline Sarah1

« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2012, 12:08:24 AM »
I don't think notching up 4 visits will be too much of a challenge for us.Truly have 'the bug'!! 5 weeks to go...
Sarah

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2012, 12:15:52 AM »
Sarah1, Tria's Philip and Helen are gorgeous people. And it is a lovely destination at the edge of the village. Sadly we rarely get that far these days unless we get a lift. Jen finds the walk from Bardis Sun to the Coconut a trial now. Have a lovely 3rd stay. Like the rest of us, it won't be the last!

Phil

Booking.com