Author Topic: We have another... 34 Guests and 9 Users watching this website  (Read 16081 times)

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
We have another... 34 Guests and 9 Users watching this website
« on: February 12, 2011, 10:07:41 PM »
"We have another... 34 Guests and 9 Users watching this website. "

I want to speak to those anonymous 34 guests. And any others who come across this post in the future.

Corfu has seen a big decline in tourism over recent years, I guess because it was so popular in the past and people now want new things. Well you need to think again. The names you see in the list of users, including mine, are people who have sampled the offer that Arillas, in the North West of Corfu can provide. And come back year after year, knowing what they can expect. Many of us are firm friends as a result of meeting there, and just as much with the villagers themseves.

The first impression can be misleading. A simple, rural ex fishing village with narrow roads, no high-rise, laid back and taking its time. But that hides dozens of superb family-run businesses which provide true Greek hospitality, set against a mile of lovely beach. The sea is shallow and warm, an ideal setting for families with young children, who are welcomed in every establishment. The welcome is real, and is such a contrast to the "plastic smile" reading from the script "customer service."

There is something for everyone. Teenagers can bop their nights away in the Malibu Bar in complete safety, and that includes the recycled middle aged ones! Yes, I have been known to join in.... Meanwhile their olduns can be enjoying a more sophisticated drink in the Coconut Bar next door.

The village is surrounded by beautiful countryside, ideal for the walkers who want to find new flora and fauna, or simply gasp at the amazing views.

Romantic couples can find plenty of locations, for example the deck above Horizon Hotel to sip drinks and ignore the rest. But beware - they reckon the water promotes pregnancy! Many romances began in Arillas, or blossomed into much more. Many
older couples find a chance to renew their own romance - Jen and I are amongst them. They call us "the lovebirds," and we are in our late fifties.

Older folk can find peace, pleasure and contentment amongst simple surroundings. They are just as welome as the tiny tots.

Arillas prides itself on providing exellent food and wine. Authentic Corfiot cuisine, but much more as well. And dozens of choices all over the village. Far too many to try during a two week stay.

To those 34 guests, why not sign up and read the whole forum.

It might change your life. For the better.....

Phil

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
Re: "We have another... 34 Guests and 9 Users watching this website"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:18:30 PM »
Well said Phil.
                   Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 01:23:56 AM »
Wonderful stuff, Phil!

COME TO ARILLAS

A big welcome to Arillas-dot-com,
We’re so proud of this website.
We hope you will enjoy it with us
And maybe soon book a flight.

Come to Arillas, you’ll see we’re right,
It is paradise on earth.
So many of us can’t be wrong,
You’ll find how much it’s worth.

Beautiful beach, rolling countryside,
Friendliest village ever known.
Superb bars and tavernas.
In Arillas, you’re never alone.

For the young, the old and in-betweens,
There is something for everyone.
Our pretty resort is safe and clean,
So peaceful and yet it’s fun.

Whatever type of accommodation,
You’ll be spoilt for choice.
Just watch an Arillas sunset,
Your heart, like mine, will rejoice.

lynn xx

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 01:30:46 AM »
Thanks Lynn, spot on as usual.
                                             Val
The love affair continues.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 01:34:07 AM »
What talented forum members we have.

Keep up the good work Phil and Lynn

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 03:33:19 AM »
I'm not talented Eileen luvver, but I am passionate. And selfish. I promote my Arillas because it is such a beautiful place and deserves to survive the worldwide downturn. Like Freddy Mercury, once he's gone you only have the memories. Arillas is doing all right, but what a waste if we ever lose it and only have the memories? I need Arillas to thrive and survive.

All it takes is for those who are choosing where to spend their time on holiday to actually give it a try. For most of us that was a life-changing discovery. So many could follow suit. And we KNOW what they will have - we've loved doing it over and over for years.

I am nothing to do with the businesses there, except being friends with many of the people I meet. My passion for Arillas is born out of the joy I alway feel when I am there, as does my Jen. Even when nothing is open at the end of October.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 03:35:04 AM »
Lynn luvver, as usual our poet has captured the mood and the point. Spot on.

love to yous both from us both
PhilnJen

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 07:08:14 AM »
Phil, Your exactly the kind of person we need to advertise Arillas. Lynn, Your exactly the kind of person we need to make us say, (How does she do that) she says it in so many ways and yet it always rhymes. I always enjoy both your posts. Thanks Viv xx

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 11:18:17 AM »
Well said Phil,I was just wondering yesterday if Arillas would be as quiet this year as last ,things may pick up for Corfu and the other Greek islands with the trouble in Egypt and Tunisia
One thing for sure is i know where i would rather visit and Arillas wins hands down ,just counting down the months now until the 15th of August i only wish i could spend a month there :-)
Tony

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »
and remember
ARILLAS-IS JUST A YAMMAS AWAY FROM NEW FREINDS ...................yammas

Offline Alan and Jan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 12:38:07 PM »
 If I can give my twopenneth.

Jan and me have only been to Arillas once way back in September 2009. The only reason we came then was because of what we had read and seen on this forum. Lots of passion.
We both fell in love with Arillas within a couple of days and all the exploring we did and wonderful people we met only strengthened this. We had already booked our 2009 holidays so have had to wait till this May be enjoying and savouring the delights of Arillas yet again.
Alan and Jan

Eight letters, three words one meaning- Take That

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
Re: We have another... 34 Guests and 9 Users watching this website
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 01:32:52 PM »
This thread is the ideal advertisement for our bit of paradise!

Phil, as usual, you speak from the heart and you speak for all of us on this forum.
Lynn, you contribute in your own way withn wonderful verse which also captures the essence of the place.

Tour operators should seek permission to use these words to promote Arillas and to make more people aware of the place.
It seems to me that over the last few years, operators have decreased their properties. Why??  ( But this could be better for our hosts as they are not tied into tour companies that pay a pittance for their rooms. )
Arillas needs to be promoted and tour operators can help with this. I wouldn`t have found out about the place if it wasn`t for seeing it in abrochure first.

If Arillas is to move on and keep up, then investment is needed. We all do our bit by returning but properties eventually need upgrading and money needs to be found for this. Without wishing to be harsh, there could be some improvement to some establishments - SOME establishments.
I, for one, will keep returning because I don`t want to see Arillas become a ghost town. Or become like some resorts on Corfu.
  Can`t explain it but once you`ve visited, you can`t keep away.

Yammas,  Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 04:02:21 PM »
I'd like to add my support as well - we've been visiting since 2007 (far fewer times than many of the people on the forum) but we now visit twice a year - May (when the sun is very gentle and relaxing but we still get great tans, and when the fireflies show themelves at night) and October (when the sea is wonderfully warm from the summer sun, and we still get great tans!).

We've been to other places as well, of course, and each time we say (it isn't Arillas.....)

PLEASE everyone, support our little piece of Paradise - you won't regret it!

Janis x

Offline pvjam

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 06:22:30 PM »
Hello all
Up and till now we have been one of the 34 guests and 9 users looking at the forum, looking everyday for the last 2 years, but we felt we had nothing to contribute because everything wonderful about Arillas  has already been said. With our 2 daughters we had 5 lovely holidays at the Rainbow back in the mid to late 90s. Cant remember the first time we stayed, but somebody will, the first year Spiros ran the bar on his own, the following year his brother Dimitri had finished his army service and was with him. Someone will remind me.
Anyway to bring this all up to date, my wife and i are returning this year, we have booked Easyjet flights from Bristol on 26th Sept but we cant make contact with the Rainbow using their enquiry link on the forum. We have tried twice in the last 6 weeks but have had no response. Is anyone else having or has had the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Here is another question for you. If you walk out of the Rainbow and turn either left or right the walk around the village should take about 40/45 mins. Why did it always take us 3 to 4 hours? do you think its down to the wonderful people that live,work and holiday in Arillas.
Now look whats happened, our first posting and we could fill page after page talking about Arillas, hope someone can help with our accomodation problem.

Thanks
Paul and Lin

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »
What a great first post pvjam. From the heart, wanting to share what so many of us understand. I used to be ashamed of my obsession with Arillas but now I wear it on my sleeve.

Why did it always take us 3 to 4 hours?
That is exactly what this place is about. Laid back, meet folk, forget about appointments. Live, Love and Relax.

But you understand all that already. The Anthis boys are special, as is there place in Arillas. The Rainbow. Our Eggy will fix it for yous, I am sure. Many forum members as well. Come on Sandy luvver - it's your space.

Welcome to the forum. It keeps the likes of you and me in touch.

Phil

Booking.com