Author Topic: a question for the experts  (Read 13330 times)

Maggie

a question for the experts
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:30:38 PM »
I have a question for all you flight experts out there. In your experience, do flight prices change between the start and the end of the season?
I'm looking for flights from uk (scotland actually), and they are a bit on the expensive side! Are they likely to be reduced????

Also, I was shocked that Thomson want £25 for each bag checked in! On top of the extortionate price that they are starting with.....

I'll be interested to hear others experiences.

riggers

Re: a question for the experts
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »
Things will only get worse Maggie........you are in the right place (lucky you).

Offline elsmum

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:30:13 AM »
Hi Maggie, might be worth getting cheap easy jet flight 'down south' more choice of airports/airlines this way. If you need any assistance with stopovers etc. let us know. See you in May Karen & Steve x

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 11:19:19 AM »
At this time of year the only way for a cheaper price for charter flights is to wait until the last minute.  Other than that there won't be much movement on prices.

I find Skyscanner the best source for flights.  Try messing around with search options such as departing from any uk airport to Corfu.  That gives the option of driving to the departure airport.

Another idea is to enter Edinburgh/Glasgow etc - Corfu where the results will include connecting flights from your chosen Scottish airport to an airport down South.   Sometimes the results will show connecting flights in other countries such as Cologne or Milan rather than in the UK...but if the price is right I don't see the problem.

Don't forget to enter the search details as one-ways.  This will quite often give you the best price deals. We regularly fly out and return to different airports...providing of course that we can fly back from wherever we land in the south.

I only use Skyscanner to source flights...I do not use their option to book via their website. 

Offline mikeG

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 03:32:46 PM »
Hi

Have a look at Olympic Holidays they fly from scotland and can be  cheaper that Thomson  have used them from luton. Mike & Sue

Maggie

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 04:26:41 PM »
Thank you for all your replies.
What we want are flights for our son, his partner and their infant daughter. So really, Edinburgh is their nearest airport, so that would be best, however, what I wasn't prepared for was the hike in prices, as compared even to Glasgow or Newcastle. We will keep looking, and may wait a bit longer, just to see if prices change.
Skyscanner puts first choice as cheapest, and what they really need is direct flights.

We will see how it all works out.

Also, it seems that September is quite expensive, and yet, I thought it would be a bit cheaper after school hols were over.

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 04:36:02 PM »

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »
Brilliant, Tony.
                      Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 04:47:48 PM »
Maggie, check Edinburgh airports own site it will tell you which airlines fly from there.
                                                               Val x

The love affair continues.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »
I had a look on EasyJet, but they don't do direct it seems. Found flights to Gatwick frm Edinburgh for £24 each way and Gatwick to Corfu in September at £42 there, £72 back, making £162 return + luggage etc. Quite understand they want direct flights with little one, but might be worth another look.

Phil

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 01:16:34 AM »
How about looking for a really really last minute cheap package and then telling the rep at the airport you're staying elsewhere? Or is that just "not on"??

I think prices definitely go up - we booked package with Thomson to stay at Kaloudis for two weeks at end of May - £758 for both of us from Manchester - it's now at least £300 more!!  And I bet Billy's not getting any more...

Janis x

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 01:39:47 AM »
We've done that before Janis.....several times...
Sandy x

Maggie

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »
Thanks again for all advice. We have looked for 'cheap' packages, but they aren't cheap! We are afraid to wait very last minute, incase they don't get flights, so, since our son has to book his time off work well in advance, and won't be able to change it, we reckon we'll just have to pay through the nose. We really want to see our family, and for them to enjoy a holiday.

I do think it's very unfair that flights from london are so very much cheaper than from the north. But with a young infant, it just isn't feasible to look at indirect flights.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 08:28:56 PM »
Hi Maggi, when do they want to come and visit? Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Maggie

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »
Viv, we're looking at beginning of September. Out of Scottish school hols, and a bit cooler for the baby. I really thought that flights might be cheaper then, but I've been proved wrong.....

Booking.com