Author Topic: Scooter hire in Arillas  (Read 5774 times)

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
Scooter hire in Arillas
« on: March 25, 2011, 01:04:17 PM »
I've just seen someone ask the question on 'small talk' -

"Does anyone know the minimum age for hiring a scooter in Arillas?"

I'd be interested in the answer too ,  also advice on the best place to hire from.
So can anybody help please?.

Thanks.

Angie

Offline M n M

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Re: Scooter hire in Arillas
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »
Angie,

First off you will need to have the correct licence in GB to drive or ride the same in Greece.

Next you should make sure that you have insurance, if you do not have the proper licence you will not have insurance no matter what paperwork you have or how much you have paid for it.

Finally, if you do not ride in GB it is not worth risking yours or others lives anywhere, also even though Greeks may not wear helmets it is a legal requirement to wear one.

I hire my bikes and cars from either Olga or Arkokal Travel.
Ride safe, live long and enjoy yourself, Mick.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 01:17:56 AM »
angie
good luck and go for it ,,i always have a scooter from arkotal in arillas for the duration of my hols ...my big advice is watch for the potholes ,,greek roads are not like english rds ..yammas,,plus i pay on av about E13 per day for hire,,

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 01:34:07 AM »
Good advice from both Mick and Kev. I still don't know about the minimum age, but at 58 I know that Olga wouldn't even hire me a pair of roller skates, knowing how I would end up face down in the stream next to Ina's. If she did allow me, she would push me round to the Nut on them, and see me sit down to my first Mythos, and not have to worry any more. I would probably roll out later, but not on wheels....

Olga and Arkokal provide an incredibly good service to us lot. Long may they prosper.

Phil

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 09:52:50 AM »
Like Mick said i would not advise anyone who does not ride a bike in the UK to hire a scooter in my opinion it is an accident just waiting to happen especially if its a young teenager with no riding experience at all
I myself usually hire one and through no fault of my own have had a couple of close shaves in Corfu and have been riding a motorcycle for 35 years as well as racing at international level 
If you do hire one just remember you are at the bottom of the food chain on a scooter and to my mind as a rule the bigger the vehicle on the road the higher up the food chain you become ,so always give way to cars vans lorries etc even if it means pulling in to let them past it's better to do that than end up being scrapped off of the tarmac and spending your holiday in Corfu hospital
The amount of times i have seen folks with no experience attempting to ride a scooter makes me cringe :-(
I know this post may sound negative and me being a bit of a kill-Joy but i do know what it's like to get knocked off a bike and believe me it HURTS
If you do hire 1 keep your eyes peeled and concentrate on the road at all times in front of you and behind you
Infact on 1 of Terry Ws videos he hits a pothole and you hear him use a couple of expletives  if he had have been on a scooter the chances are he would have been laid in the road after hitting it
Anyway have fun and ride safe & have a cracking holiday
Tony

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »
Solid advise Tony!
Life is good ;)

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 05:13:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies chaps , and all advice gratefully received and duly noted.

I would still like to know the minimum age please.

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 05:41:23 PM »
I would think Angie that for a person from the UK it would be 16 as that's the minimum age you can obtain a provisional licence over here and the Scooter Hire shops in Greece always want to see them before they will hire you a scooter
I usually take a photocopy of mine and that has always been adequate
Tony

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
Thanks Tony - I guessed that would be the case.
It's just that some of the kids you see riding around certainly don't look 16 to me - there again, I'm at the age where I swear my solicitor is no more than 12!! :)

Angie

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »
Take a look at this link Angie plenty of info on it ,it might be that the kids you see Angie are riding illegally i don't know if the Greek traffic police just turn a blind eye to it

http://athens.angloinfo.com/countries/greece/drivlicence.asp

Booking.com