Author Topic: Internet, dongles, sim cards and all that.  (Read 3652 times)

Internet, dongles, sim cards and all that.
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:18:59 PM »
Hi, I have a laptop and an unlocked Vodaphone dongle.  Can I buy pay as you go sim cards for internet access in Arillas?  If so where can I get one, how much are they and what is the connection like? My kids live in far flung countries and I'd like to stay in touch via Skype or at least emails whilst I'm there in May.  Information would be much appreciated.  Joan

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
Re: Internet, dongles, sim cards and all that.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:59:39 AM »
Hi Joan,

Quite a few of the tavernas, hotels and rooms offer free wifi which is probably your best bet. I believe Vodafone Greece offer a monthly package of a usb dongle and a months access ut it's quite expensive, about 50 euros I think and you have to buy it from a mobile phone shop in Corfu town. Terry W may have more info which I'm sure he'll post when he reads your post but as I said, wifi is probably your easiest and cheapest bet.

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 01:16:31 AM »
Hi Joan,

I agree with Dai. A Vodafone would cost a fortune. Just use the WiFi in the places where it is available. Maybe a list could be compiled of all the establishments that have WiFi.

Terry

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 01:38:07 AM »
A quick search on the directory for wifi came up with the following places offering wifi:
  • Irene VIllas Apartments
  • Akti Hotel
  • Bardis Sun Hotel
  • Hotel Horizon
  • Nikos Apartments
  • Mathraki studios
  • Brouklis rooms
  • Hotel Marina
  • Makris apartments
  • Thalassa restaurant
  • Anna Studios
  • Akrotiri Lounge Cafe
Obviously you need to be a resident or customer but there’s quite a choice. I’ve used it in the last three on the list with a good connection in all.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:45:11 AM »
Hi Joan, I take my netbook with me and as Dai said you can use it anywhere on his list. Just sit down buy a drink or food and off you go. If you are staying at any of these places you can lie on your sunbed keeping family upto date with your every movement, just don't try using your laptop in the pool though ;D

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 01:44:43 PM »
The Coconut Bar also has wifi, Joan.  :)

lynn xx

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 02:01:29 PM »
Wow Efharisto everybody!  That's really good to know.  You all sound a very friendly and helpful community!  I'm looking forward to staying at the Kaloudis for nearly a month and hopefully meeting some of you.  Thanks again.  Joan

Booking.com