Author Topic: Advice on flying with Easyjet  (Read 9611 times)

Offline Debbie & Lee

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
Advice on flying with Easyjet
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:32:16 PM »
This is the first time we will be flying with Easyjet.  Previously, we have always used Thomas Cook.  Any advice or tips would be welcome (have heard it can be quite a scrum to get on board!)

Offline kevin.g

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
Re: Advice on flying with Easyjet
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:43:38 PM »
debbie/lee
dont worry ,your on your hols go with the flow ,,once your on the plane its like any other flight,,even with speedy boarding ,theres no promise of getting legroom seats,so just chill and relax,the only scramble is at the corfu end as the bus doors open ,,,,,,,,,,,yammas

Offline gaye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 11:51:24 PM »
We have travelled wit E.J. for our last 4 trips to Corfu and will always sing their praises, particularly after our October 2010 experience when the pilot aborted two attempted landings owing to poor visibility and we were diverted to Athens! Their care for us was excellent.

Admittedly there is a slight scramble to board and it's best not to bank on sitting with family, but speedy boarding, at an extra cost, could prevent this.
gaygo

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:38:50 AM »
We travelled with Easyjet the last few years and to be honest I though they were great.  The crew and even captain were continually making humorous remarks and seemed really friendly.  We are a family of five and always have managed to sit together despite everyone and their dog getting on before us. We have booked Thomson flights this year because they were (unbelievably) £300 less!! Even with this airline you now have to pay if you want to guarantee sitting together (which we haven't!Mick is even saying a little prayer!!:-))

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »
I agree with Jo and with Gaye. I always use EJ and last year when my return flight was delayed overnight for a technical problem they put us all up in a good quality hotel and provided all meals.
The one thing you do need to watch at boarding time is that they are very strict on the 1 piece of hand luggage rule. If you have a flight bag AND a handbag (for example) they will hold you back until you put the handbag inside the flight bag, so have everything in 1 bag before you get to the boarding gate and you will get through quicker!
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »
Jo, we find travelling with Thomsons that the earlier you check in the better chance you will have of sitting together. At Manchester they have all the desks open and all the flights can check in at the same time no matter where you're going, the queue is usually enormous, last year going to Arillas on an early evening flight we waited an hour and a half in the queue before we reached the desk. Also don't take giant size suitcases because they have a weight restriction for each case. If it's over you have to repack. We saw a family sent to buy another case because they had two large cases between four people.
Leave the shoes behind sweetheart. (I mean the boys not yours). ;)

Val x     
The love affair continues.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »
Thanks for that Val.  The kids will be barefoot!! ;-)

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 12:32:57 AM »
We flew EJ last year for the first time and Wendy and Stuart had recommended that we booked speedy boarding... we didn't but it was no real hassle, just slightly longer to wait.  Having said that, we HAVE booked speedy boarding this year.
On the subject of flight bags, I received an email from them with the following information:
From April 5th we have updated our pricing policy for hold luggage and for oversized cabin baggage that needs to be checked into the hold.

The following charges apply:
•At the airport check-in desk: If you purchase a bag to be checked into the hold and/or we notice that your cabin bag exceeds the maximum allowed dimensions, you will be charged £25 per bag
•At the boarding gate: If you go directly to the boarding gate and your one permitted item of cabin baggage exceeds the maximum allowed dimensions you will be charged £40 and your bag will be checked into the hold
Remember: easyJet allows one item of hand baggage into the cabin per person; maximum dimensions are 56 x 45 x 25 cm .

To keep our fares low, be able to board the plane as quickly as possible and ensure your comfort onboard, if you bring more than one piece of hand baggage we'll check the extra piece into the hold. Hand bags, briefcases, laptops and laptop bags are all counted as one piece, so if you have a trolley and, for example, an additional hand bag or laptop bag you'll be asked to put those items into your trolley bag. If you can't consolidate your cabin baggage into one single item, one of your bags will be checked into the hold and we will have to charge you £40. We do this to ensure that we don't delay the boarding process and bring everyone to their destination on time.

Hope this helps!

Janis x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 12:57:23 AM »
We now always use EasyJet. It's the prices. We book as soon as the schedule is published. Already got our October week for an amazing fare.....

If I've got one tip, head for the departure gate as soon as it appears on the displays. We used to wait until the flight was nearly closing (yes... having another beer) but we had already been allocated seats. On a full EJ flight you would inevitably end up in the single seats left over by the rest. EJ has served us well so far, and would recommend them.

Phil

Offline dave mull

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 05:33:18 PM »

hi
we have used easy jet for the last 3 years as phill we book early as the flights are released to get the better price ,as for boarding we tend to wear spurs on our shoes
and spiked elbow pads for the rush and have not found it to be a problem.
appart from last year when the pilot was injured in the rush
            dave mull

Offline Debbie & Lee

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 01:47:36 AM »
Thank you all for your helpful advice.  I just hope I can get to sit with Lee as otherwise I'll be grabbing onto someone else's hand when we take off and land!!!!

Offline wetty

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 02:26:58 PM »
Hi,

We flew with Easyjet for the first time last year, from Bristol. To be honest we weren't looking forward to it, having heard quite a few horror stories, but to be fair it was a pleasant surprise. We had booked speedy boarding, but i don't know whether i would bother next time. As long as you keep your wits about you in the departure lounge & go to the gate as soon as the flight is called you should be fine.
 Coming back was easier as well. There was none of the queing outside that we have had when on a Thomson package in the past. I would definately fly with them again. Just wish they would use one of the Midlands airports.

Wetty

Booking.com