Author Topic: hi!  (Read 6820 times)

Offline charjep1

hi!
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:58:12 PM »
Hey everyone, I've just joined the forum as I'm heading to Arillas for the first time on Monday 13th June, staying in the Kaloudis Village. I did write in another forum because I didn't think it would let me post in this one but then Phil made me realise it was because I was writing web cam as one word!

Seeing as it's my first time in Arillas, does anyone have any good suggestions to go/ eat out for a first timer? Also, I'm slightly worried about the weather forecast cos I've been looking on a few sites on 14 day weather forecasts and some of them have given out cloud/rain for most of the days that I'm there... are the forecasts usually correct or do I just have to wait til I get there and see? I'm praying for good weather as I'm desperate for a break in the sunshine!

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: hi!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:07:18 AM »
Hi Charjep1 and a very big welcome to the forum.  You are in for a treat visiting this resort I promise.  As someone who has visited 13 years on the trot I could honestly recommend all the restaurants.  They all have their specialities and you will struggle to have a bad meal.  The ones along the seafront are spectacular for their views of the beach and amazing sunset and chilled atmosphere. If you are after a truly traditional Greek taverna then look no further than Brouklis which is the last one you come to after the Pizzeria, passing the two bars on the main street.  As for the weather, I would be amazed if it is not scorching for you.  Even if you do see rain it usually blows over very quickly.  Enjoy your visit and you MUST tell us all about it on your return!! :-)

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:25:52 AM »
See chargep1 - there's at least two of us (in truth hundreds) who know how great the food is. Have never been in June, but all the reports have said June is "flamin." It was 30C today. You may see the odd cloud....

I have to correct the list I gave you - I missed out the Horizon after Thalassa. Don't know how - it is another superb eaterie. They joke about me here. I used to lose it when I put on a stone during two weeks in Arillas, but these days they call it my "Corfu baby." My six-pack is a party-seven, and my waist has disappeared. I only ever put it on out there.

As for things to do, go and talk to Olga Vigli in Olga's Travel. Whatever you want she can find it. Glass bottomed boats, scooters, trips.... she has even been know to organise gout medicine for a customer. Have a great time and like Jo says tell us about it.
Phil

Offline charjep1

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »
Ahh thanks so much for your warm welcomes, I'm really excited now! I'll be sure to tell everyone about it when I return :)

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 02:40:54 PM »
hi, welcome!
our favourite eating places are graziellas, along the beach front, fab views over the sea, gorgeous food lovely people, efies, take no notice of the overgrown look of the place!! up the steps the food and the people are marvelous.
you will have a brilliant time!
ger x

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »
Wecome to the forum, We have been going twice a year since hmmhmm (that would give it away) and have only ever had 1 bad meal in Arillas. Actully it was one of the terverna's that everybody love's think we just hit it on a wrong day, have been back since and it well made up for it.
 If you like fish you must go to Vavilas caught fresh every day and for a real Greek meal nowhere can beat Brouklis.
The weather when we went last month the forcast said 4 days of storms, we had 1 that lasted about half an hour. Spectacular to watch. Im sure you will enjoy our favourite place and start saving as soon as you get back ready for next year. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline willis

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 09:55:05 PM »
Have a wonderful time. My only advice would be when it is windy eat on the main street. When it isn't eat on the front. The restaurants are all worth a try. My favourite is the Horizon, but even so I would always go to other places too. The Marina on a Saturday is a must, but you will need to book.
Nic

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 12:31:10 AM »
Yes Charjep, definitely book the Marina for its Greek night,  Truly fabulous.  Like Willis says, they are every Saturday.just pop in at some point and Dida will fit you in. Enjoy xx

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 12:44:40 PM »

Welcome  charjep1 Valnbill can only endorse what everyone else has told you.

So just enjoy, we know you will.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline hippopotandmouse

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 01:06:09 AM »
we visited Arillas for the first time last month,and loved it. Had great meals at Mirage, and Vasillas fish taverna ( i had meat cos allergic to fish!!), but didn't have a bad meal anywhere. Just chill out and slow to the wonderful relaxed pace of Arillas.......we are hoping to return in Sept we enjoyed it so much.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 01:19:21 AM »
Hi Hippopotandmouse, I love the nickname.

I'm glad you loved Arillas, and caught the Arillasitis bug to make you go again.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 01:32:31 AM »
See hippopotandmouse, we aren't all mad. (I might be but that's another story. Ask Eileen....)

Our Terry said it - Arillasitis. Once bitten forever smitten. There's hundreds of us who are infected. But it's no leper colony.

So glad it worked for yous as well. Thanks for reporting back....
Phil

Offline charjep1

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »
Thanks everyone for your lovely words, only 3 days to go, I can't wait! It's looking beautiful there on the w e b c a m.

I don't know if anyone will know the answer to my question, but I've read that at Kaloudis Village its 5 euros per unit per day for air con, which I'm definitely going to need as I'm a very light sleeper and struggle to sleep in summer when it's warm...but we arrive at the apartments at 2.30am on monday night so will i be able to purchase it when i arrive or would I have to wait until the next day?!

Charjep x

Offline wetty

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 03:25:06 PM »
Hi Charjep1,

I'm sure you will be able to get the key for the aircon on the night that you arrive. Billy, Roula or Christos will sort it out, nothing seems to be too much trouble. We have stayed at the Kaloudis many times & i am sure you will love it.

Wetty

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 06:31:19 PM »
Hi Charjep1 - we came back on last Friday from two weeks at Kaloudis - our fourth time there - and enjoyed our stay there.
The apartments are very well kept and the gardens are immaculate. There's a lovely pool, and I can guarantee you will find every member of staff to be helpful and friendly.
I'm sure that whoever takes you to your apartment will be able to activate the aircon for you and you can pay later; however you may find it cool enough for your first night as the patio door will have been left open and the shutters down, letting fresh air in.
As you walk down the drive away from the Kaloudis, your first sight is of the sea and Gravia island. I'm sure your first thoughts on seeing this will be "wow! Paradise!"
There's a lovely taverna very close called Eytixia (we all call it Efi's) and we regularly had lunch there, and also a couple of evening meals.
Walking along the sea front you'll find lots of lovely tavernas where you can call in just for a coffee, an alcoholic drink, a snack, or a meal - everyone is very welcoming.  If  you turn left at the Marina you'll find everybody's favourite restaurant - Brouklis - up a few hundred yards on the left. We always make a point of going there as often as possible - it's a truly traditional Greek taverna.  Dimitris will always give you a menu, but ask him what he recommends as he will offer you the food that is special for that particular day.
If you like a gentle stroll, turn left at Marina and follow the road along, past the hotels Marvel and Rainbow on the right hand side, down a slight incline, round the bend, passing hotel Tria Adelphia on the bend on the left, then the road continues round to the right and back to Arillas seafront.  We try to do this walk every day, reversing it as well, so that it keeps us fit (ish) after all the lovely food we've been eating...........

Enjoy!
and let us know about it afterwards so we can all anticipate our next holiday there! 
Janis x

Booking.com