Author Topic: Rob and Jean's Holiday 2011  (Read 3024 times)

Offline jean

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
Rob and Jean's Holiday 2011
« on: June 12, 2011, 02:17:26 PM »
We have just returned from another fabulous holiday with Anna. Many thanks Anna, Kostas, Theo and Tasos for a wonderfully relaxing time. This was our 6th and best ever visit, difficult to say why as there is so much we love about Arillas and many people have said it all before on this forum. The flight from Manchester was on time, the luggage arrived and having Kostas there to meet us like old friends made such a difference to the journey. At the immaculate Studios Anna and Tasos made us feel special and part of their “big family” of guests. Most of them are regulars like us and it was good to see them all and share some lovely meals and drinks. (Bob and Jenny- hope you’ll keep in touch) The weather was perfect, the sunsets amazing and what can you say about the food…just fantastic.
But I think one of the reasons why we enjoyed this trip was the people we met. Neil, after reading his posts for many years it was good to meet him “in the flesh” at the Night Owl. Our first visit to the Night Owl! How did we miss that one on previous visits? Wonderful food, good company and a pleasure to meet Linda and her family. Sharon at the Marina Pool, another first for us, but we will back for more of her wonderful hospitality not to mention the cakes! Tony and Glenda at the end of the jetty after the bench was installed. Then of course there was Dimitris at Brouklis, Nikos at his beautiful spot on the headland and if I’ve missed anyone I am very sorry.
Also visited the old village of Perithia, never quite made it up there before but we were pleased to see much of it still in ruins. It was fascinating to wander around the ruins breathing in the atmosphere and the history. There is obviously a lot of restoration going on and this may well be necessary for the economy but we are glad we saw before it is restored to within an inch of it’s life.
Now we are back in Nantwich, Cheshire and the hailstones are pounding down on the conservatory roof so that I can hardly hear myself think and yes it is June. Already looking forward to the next visit!
Love to all our friends in Arillas.

Offline Karen22

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Re: Rob and Jean's Holiday 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 05:17:17 PM »
We're also looking forward to our next visit - where's the old village of Perithia?  Want to put it on our list of things to do next time!

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 05:41:36 PM »
Lovely report Jean. Many thanks for sharing it. The Krasakis family are special, well they have a special place in Jen and my hearts. Along with so many others in Arillas who have welcomed us so warmly and affectionately.

Phil

Offline Debbie & Lee

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 05:49:15 PM »
Glad you had such a wonderful time...
Where is the Night Owl please?

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 06:22:28 PM »
The Night Owl is up towards Afionas...there is a thread on here somewhere but Im sure someone will find it for you.Smashing place lovely hosts cant wait to drive up there and say Hello next week
Ang

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 07:07:55 PM »
Fab post Jean.
Can't wait for our home coming again, not long now.

Debbie and lee
If you walk along the front and round towards Vavilas Fish Taverna
Turn left at Helens and follow the road up to Affionas, at the top of the road you will find Night Owl opposite on the left.

Offline jean

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 09:37:27 PM »
Hi Karon
The old village is out towards the north east of the island. Take the main road in the direction of Roda and pass through Arahavi - not sure I've got the spelling of that right but place names seem to vary on sign posts anyway. You can turn right at the sign post to the Old Village in Arahavi or you can keep going until just past the turn for Spyridon (of Gerald Durrell fame) You follow the road for miles up the mountain and we thought we'd missed it but stick with it as the road is a dead end and you will come to the village eventually.
Rick Stein did an item for his Mediterean Food programme some years ago filmed at one of the tavernas in Perithia.
Why not pop into Arillas travel and have a chat with Theo, I'm sure he would be able to show you on the map.
Enjoy!

Offline Karen22

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 10:50:46 PM »
Thanks for that Jean - we're already getting a list together of things to do / places to go next time we're in Arillas.  Love having things to look forward to!

Booking.com