Author Topic: card payment for meals  (Read 7305 times)

Offline Vaughan & Angie

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
card payment for meals
« on: June 13, 2011, 06:17:20 PM »
What are people's thoughts on using cards to pay for meals, where you are able?  Is this a good or bad thing for the owners?

V

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Re: card payment for meals
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:09:41 PM »
I tend to work on the policy that those who don't want us to use cards don't offer us the facility. I've certainly never had a problem at Brouklis, which is probably the only place I've used a card. They do usually have to pay something themselves for each transaction I think, which is why places sometimes charge extra for using a card.
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:44:15 PM »
I have used a card in Thalassa and Brouklis. Sandy is right - they have to pay a charge, so I am never keen to do it unless they add it on. But they didn't, so I now try to pay cash everywhere.

Phil

Offline himishere

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:25:20 PM »
I tend to agree with Sandy, they wouldnt offer you the facillity if it wasnt of benefit to the buisiness.

I always seem to spend more when I'm not counting the pennies anyway, worry about it when i get back i say.

Yammas

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:49:46 AM »
We pay cash wherever we go in Arillas, except for when we're paying for two weeks' accommodation!

Janis x

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:57:22 AM »
We prefer to pay cash, it seems the Greek way. We always have plastic with us though as you never know whats left on your last couple of days. But like others have said we would leave a good cash tip to cover it.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 12:27:14 PM »
rate as today is still ..e1.11..........................yammas

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 09:06:14 PM »
I only use my card at the Horizon after the 1st night we seem to put every thing on the tab and have never once found anything on the bill that shouldnt be there, there are several places in Arillas where I can run a tab if needed but I generaly pay cash as I go along, remember though the rate we get charged by our banks will vary...

Worthy totally agree whats the point if you cant enjoy, life is for living.
Ang

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 09:25:25 PM »
Ang luvver, over the years you and I and my gorgeous lady have reached the same conclusion. Life is about living, you only get one chance. Like us, you and hubby make every bit worth it. Goodonyer.

Vaughan, it costs them but we do it. And like others have said, we leave a good tip. And keep going back. Sandy said it - if they offer it they must accept the implications. Sometimes we try too hard to look after our friends in Arillas. They have a quite a good idea themselves....

Phil

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 09:28:31 PM »
To be honest, on the few occasions that we use plastic (usually last few days whoops!!) I never considered that the business owners had to pay for the service. Is that the case in Britain?

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 09:46:23 PM »
Jo luvver, yes. They smile and absorb it. Bless.

They're daft. All credit card operators charge them. Our hosts should simply pass that on. 3 percent on a 50 euro bill is only 1.50 None of us would even blink. It is peanuts, but must add up over the season. They should simply add it to your bill. Then I would be happy to use the plastic. like yous we do at the end of our stay.

Phil

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 09:58:57 PM »
Jo - to answer your question every business in the uk that offer a card facility pays for it with their banks.
Ang

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 12:38:45 AM »
charges To business vary between 2% to 6%for credit cards and fixed rates for debit cards of the transaction..also cost of purchasing or leasing pin readers..thats why banks want to get rid if cheques..they make a lot more profit if cheques were abolished...

Offline Vaughan & Angie

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 07:46:27 PM »
Phil,just read your reply, I think ,nay I know you are right, these lovely people are business men and women and they are there year upon glorious year and they look after us as we look after them by returning to this Xanadu.

V

Booking.com