Author Topic: Mosquitoes and tennis!  (Read 12084 times)

Offline blazeboy

Mosquitoes and tennis!
« on: June 15, 2011, 02:44:36 AM »
Hi
We are a group of 5 who are heading to Arillas, our 1st visit, on 4th Jul staying at Bardis studios. Have been reading the forum and can't wait to arrive. You all make the place sound ideal for us. Bring on the Mythos and the sun.
A few questions from the group - is there a problem with mossies?
      is there a tennis court nearby open to the public?
                                                   are there any pub quizzes?
My husband and friend like to play tennis and are keen to find a court. I think they are crazy - why play tennis when there are sunbeds, books and beer! We also enjoy the odd pub quiz - as long as it's not too hard.

Thanking you for your replies.
Karen

Offline georgia

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Mosquitoes and tennis!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:42:08 AM »
Hello,
Mozzies can be a problem, make sure that you purchase jungle formula with the ingredient Deet and you should be fine. To be extra safe a plug in repellent for your room and citronella candles for balcony are great both of those 2 available cheaply in shops in Arillas..but get yr jungle formula here to take with you.
If you like a quiz the Kaloudis hotel hosts one in the pool bar on Thursday nights, great fun.
Tennis courts I am afraid I cannot help you with but feel sure someone else on the forum will come up with something...just sounds too exhausting to me.
Know that you will have an amazing time, if you have lots of energy to expend there are some lovely walks.

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:51:51 AM »
Welcome luvverrs and m8s, forget about tennis. Somebody might disagree, but watch Wimbledon first. Then come to Arillas. Have a sweet strawberry and a glass of Bollinger before you come - neither mean anything at home in Arillas. I love both dearly but I prefer Mythos and mezes.

Welcome to the mad house, the forum. Mozzies are an issue  - cover ankles with 50% DEET, Boots Jungle Formula,  or get bitten alive. Take yer pick. In truth it is the vital issue for Jen. The little darlings never touch me.

Pub quizzes? Try Billy at Kaloudis - it can be hilarious. The first prize is a day shopping in Corfu Town. The booby prize for me would be two days.  Sometimes the Rainbow do one. Once won it.

If you really want to enjoy Arillas just smile to everyone. Say hello and be open. That is the culture. That is the place. I love it and hope you do.
Phil

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 07:48:03 AM »
There are tennis court in S.S. The Bardis have beach volley courts, dont know if you could use them for tennis, but Im sure one of the family will tell you. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:30:49 AM »
There is a tennis court at the Hotel Marvel - well, there always used to be. I don't know if it's open to the publuc - there is probably little demand in hot weather. However, if you are really keen, you could always ask if you can use it....you never know........it was certainly never busy except for one year when the hotel was used mostly by Czech tourists. They used to do some sort of exercise/meditation on the court early in the morning.
Sandy x

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:32:33 AM »
We also used it in the W.R.A.F. worked everywhere then but dosen't seem as good nowdays. (unless it's just me getting old ).lol. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »
totally agree, about skin so soft, i normally get eaten alive, but started using that, and seem to be ok, i also shower with lemon and tea tree and take vitamin b tablets, so all bases covered!!!
ger x

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 03:07:16 PM »

Ger, that's weird, you and I fight the mossies in exactly the same way.

Do you think we might be related?

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline JC

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Hi Blazeboy

Lucky you going to Bardis Sun Studios - they are such a lovely family, the pool is wonderful and the rooms simple and clean.  You can pay Poppy extra for air con and, although quite expensive, to my mind it is worth it as it keeps the mossies at bay at night.  I use Boots Tropical Wipes in the evenings (partic. ankles and wrists) and have little problem.  have a great time - I shall be at Bardis for three weeks in August.

JC

Offline blazeboy

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »
Hi
Thanks for your prompt replies.
Will pass on info re tennis courts and quizzes.

I sometimes have a problem with mossies so will try some of your tips. I did try avon skin so soft last year with so-so results, but I did read somewhere that the formula has been. Not sure how true that is.

Checking out the forum daily for hints and tips to fully enjoy our holiday. Bardis sounds a great place to stay.

Counting down the days til we arrive in Arillas.

Thanks Karen

Offline blazeboy

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 07:45:56 PM »
 Hi

Oops!

'I sometimes have a problem with mossies so will try some of your tips. I did try avon skin so soft last year with so-so results, but I did read somewhere that the formula has been. Not sure how true that is.' 

- 'should read formula has been changed'

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 08:31:50 PM »
Whatever the environmental implications it Is DEET which keeps you from ankles covered in bites. Have seen so many holidays ruined by the mozzies including my Jen's. Boots Jungle Strength or anything with 50%DEET. So sad for those who can't use it.

Phil

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 09:09:09 PM »
Worthy mate, if I had to use socks I wouldn't be in Arillas. Socks are reserved for other places. Like Benidorm. Sandals and socks.... How do you spell urghhhhhh?

Like undergarments I don't if I can possibly avoid.

just make Arillas understand that Somerset produces people like you and me. Our reputation is in doubt. Eggy and Weggy justprove it.

Have a great time. See you soon probably...
Phil

Offline glendac

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:23 PM »
Hi, we will be at the Bardis Sun studios from June 29th to 15th July. I am hoping that I will be able to fit a few clothes in the case around all my mossie repellant as this year I am taking no risks. I was eaten alive last year. I would attach a photo if I knew how buts its not a pretty sight anyway. This year I have been eating marmite, taking vitamin B capsules and garlic capsules and I've got skin so soft, deet and lemon shower gel. I am hoping that with all that there will be one big mossie free area around me.

Offline newbies

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 10:02:33 AM »
Does anyone know where we can get hold of the avon so soft, have had a look in the local shops and havent been able to find it yet?

naomi xx

Booking.com