Author Topic: Bus from Arillas to Corfu town?  (Read 17986 times)

Offline carol

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Bus from Arillas to Corfu town?
« on: August 06, 2005, 03:07:24 PM »
I was just wondering if anybody knows of the bus that leaves Arillas to Corfu town.What days do they leave?What time?and the most important question does it come back???Thanks so much,cx
Im going to become to nanna for the first time in February cx

Offline bobandjoyce

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
    • http://www.essential-opportunity.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 05:02:04 PM »
Hope somebody knows Carol - I have the same question.
I think I read somewhere about a bus that leaves Arillas at 7 am but I'm not sure?

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Bus to Arillas
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 05:30:44 PM »
The bus leaves approx 07:00 every morning from the sea front but I don't know what time it gets back. By the time it gets to the outskirts of Corfu Town it is "Jam-Packed". I would imagine, on a hot day, a very brave trip to undertake.
Negg

Offline Jenni

Taxi's to Corfu town
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 07:19:59 PM »
Are taxi's easy to come by in Arillas?  how much would one cost to Corfu town?

We went to Kalymnos last year and taxi-ed everywhere using the same driver who was lovely...(we had little option as all the coaches there were grounded as the Olymics were on and a security check apparently revealed that none of the coaches details tied up with the paperwork - except the one that the reps used for tours ) - anyway - it was so cheap that we had planned on doing a similar thing this year in Corfu, if possible.

Where else do the buses run to from Arrilas?

Jenni

Offline Yiassou_TiKanis

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 07:47:14 PM »
---Carol---

The true answer to that question is that it comes whenever it wants to...extremely unreliable or "relaxed" as i'm sure they prefer to put it....You are better going on a coach/bus trip thingy if you want to go to Corfu Town. Its easier and actually RELIABLE!
I think (if i remember correctly) that there is a morning trip and an evening trip and there may be more than one of each in one week however i am not sure.

---Jenni----
Taxis are NOT easy to come buy in Arillas, as there is no taxi rank. However in most bars/tavernas/hotels etc you can ask someone to order you one and it will arrive in roughly 30mins depending on day and time of day. (They travel from Sidari mostly.)
If you are wanting to find a way to travel around arillas, taxis are reluctant to come from sidari to take you 10minutes down the road and will normally turn this idea down. You are better either hiring a car,motorbike/quadbike or whatever if you are definitely sure you are unable to walk.
In my opinion the best thing to do is walk as Arillas in not a large place and pretty much everything is of a walkin distance away. Even my mum with a bad ankle found it okay and we had to walk about 10/15minutes to and from the beach everyday!

Hope this helps! Need any more info?- just ask!
Sarah xXx

Offline carol

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 07:53:20 PM »
Thanks very much for the advice.We have been to Arillas twice before and been to corfu town on a boat trip from kassiopi.We came back at night,it was really good ,well worth the money.Next year however we,re bringing all our kids (3) and one of their friends so we,ll have to dig very deep.It might be alot cheeper to hire a 6 seater car for a few days.Thanks again,cx
Im going to become to nanna for the first time in February cx

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 12:07:36 AM »
Hi, when we were over in May we decided to have a trip into Corfu Town and got a taxi no bother from the car rental office just past Malibu Bar.  The driver charged us 30 Euro which I thought was reasonable.  On the way back there was alot of taxis parked by the harbour, if I remember right it was the same price back.  Obviously it's cheaper to take the organised trip but you have to go at specific times, our trip was just on a whim as the weather wasn't brilliant that day.

Hope this heps Jill
Jill XXX

Offline Stuart

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 11:08:43 AM »
Carol

We lived on Kefalonia for nearly eight years and I can honestly say that the buses there ran meticulously to time.  The one and only time when we had a problem was the time that a forest fire had spread across the main road and had prevented the morning bus from arriving.  This is not the sort of record that I would call "extremely unreliable".  I can't speak about Corfu buses from personal experience, but I would be surprised if they operated any differently.

We used to get very annoyed when we repeatedly heard the tour company reps tell their guests at the welcome parties that the buses were very unreliable and you may find that you arrive somewhere by bus but can't get home again because the return bus doesn't turn up.  This just wasn't true and they only said it to stop guests using the buses, so they would buy more excursion tickets or a rental car from them instead.  

The other problem was that the same guests would repeat this to their families when they got home, helping to create a dreadful myth that Greek buses were rubbish.

There is a web link to the bus timetables for Corfu here:
http://www.allcorfu.com/ou-buses.html

This shows that there is a bus from Arillas to Corfu Town at about 06:45 and a return one leaves Corfu Town bus station at 13:45.  It doesn't say how long the journey is but, judging from the timings, it may be up to 90 minutes, so take some water with you and have a snooze on the way.

Good luck

Stuart
Stuart
Na Pate Kala

Offline Yiassou_TiKanis

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 07:52:12 PM »
Stuart---I met people who said they were as they had waited for a very long time for a bus which simply didnt show up!
Maybe you had different experiences..although as you said that ur experiences were in kefalonia. I am now very unsure about both points of view and will have to try it out for myself.
Sarah xXx

Offline Jenni

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 10:01:38 AM »
Thanks for the info about taxis and also buses - I think that we will go with a combination of both - & possibly some car hire for a day or too.

We will try to manage the odd walk or too as well but as I developed asthma earlier in the year I am no sure how the heat is gong to affect my breathing - still I can always hole up at a taverna with a good book whilst Dave takes the children walking  :lol:

Jenni

Offline Stuart

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 04:20:18 PM »
Sarah

I just re-read my earlier post and I must say that it seemed like I was snapping at you.  That wasn't my intention at all and I apologise if anyone took it to be a bit aggressive.   :oops:

All the best

Stuart
Stuart
Na Pate Kala

Offline Yiassou_TiKanis

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 11:49:33 PM »
---Stuart---
No offence taken...you may be perfectly correct about the bus situation  :o
xXx

Offline fd

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 12:21:42 AM »
I am hoping to rent a car over there and i will bring a sign for the top of the roof saying taxi, I would charge a reasonable rate shall we say 5 pints. lol  :D

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 05:32:44 AM »
Hi All
  We find that hiring a car from Anna's is more convenient and much cheaper than a taxi and you can come and go when you feel like it, obviously the bus is cheaper but you have to get it at a certain time to Corfu and the return isn't until late !!!!! each to his own.

Paul/Deb5

Booking.com