Author Topic: Going Independent  (Read 13027 times)

Offline Alan and Jan

• Arillas Addict
Going Independent
« on: June 24, 2011, 12:45:14 PM »
Now that BMIBaby are flying to Corfu from East Mids next year we decided to look into doing our own thing rather than use the tour operators. Visited various flight websites and none could better BMIBaby so we have bit the bullet.
Flying out on 28th May 2012 for 14 glorious days. Just gor accommodation and transfer to sort. Still reckon we can undercut Thomsons at Kaloudis for same period by around £200.
The other thing of course is that we will be paying the locals and not Thomsons.
Alan and Jan

Eight letters, three words one meaning- Take That

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Re: Going Independent
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 06:21:50 PM »
This will be our second year going independently to Kaloudis and the BMI Baby flights will make a huge difference to the cost if we go again next year - at the moment we use Thomson Airways as it's still cheaper than Jet2.

On paper it isn't cheaper going independently. When we priced it up and finally booked flights in May it was £1400 (incl taxi) as opposed to £990 with Thomsons - but you get a 2 bed, air-conditioned, lovely apartment as opposed to a tiny studio where aircon is extra with Thomsons!  Plus you can do whatever dates you like. We're doing 11 nights this year, Mon-Fri which fits so well with work. Can't wait to be back there in a little over 2 weeks  :-)

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 01:23:07 AM »
We've not yet booked for next year, although we always do May/June and Sept/Oct.

Just priced up three weeks at Kaloudis and it worked out at just a few pounds short of £2,000 for us two!  A bit ridiculous I reckon. I'm not saying we want three weeks, but it would enable us include a few more things that way.

We usually do Thomson in May then independent in Sept so checking for offers all the time now!

Janis x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 02:37:24 AM »
Our shy of three weeks (back on Friday instead of Monday) this July cost £360 flights, £400 accommodation and £90 transfer. £850 total. Had we done the full three weeks, it would have been £30 extra for accommodation, but £70 extra for flights. £950 total. Idiots, we should have stayed the extra days for the extra £100.

In October week the flights were £260, transfer £90, accommodation £180, total £530.

The prices that Janis is getting frighten me to death. If it is all up there, ArillasPhil might justbe GlastonburyPhil next year.

Phil

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 02:48:13 AM »
The three weeks at Kaloudis was package, through Thomson, and included a week of school holidays, Phil! I'd been trying to stay in Arillas and incorporate seeing friends that we already know will be there and also Jill's birthday.
Sadly, we can't do it, but have just booked two weeks - again at Kaloudis (package) flying 21st May from Manchester £868 for both of us.
Kaloudis is a good place to stay and we love the family there. Everything is absolutely spotless and well-kept; however we do like to go independent later in the year (Sept/Oct) when it usually works out slightly dearer but includes breakfast and aircon (yes, we still need aircon sometimes!)

Anyway - WE'RE BOOKED!!

Janis x x

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 02:49:21 AM »
I wish I'd booked sooner, though, as soon as Thomson released their prices.....

Offline NicandJohn

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 03:01:11 AM »
We stayed in chris and roula's rooms there a couple of years ago and they were far better than either the rooms we'd had via thomson or the lovenest. Great value too.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 03:02:41 AM »
WeLl done Alan for taking the plunge!There is something slightly thrilling about doing it independently and saving some hard earned cash whilst at the same time helping the local community! Billy even has some private accom at Kaloudis so you may never notice the difference!! 

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 03:07:03 AM »
im gonna be a big ,flash head,,,but i dont care what it costs   ,independant is for me ,dates i want ,,accommodation i want ,and not much more than package if you book early,,i know some cant ,,but if you want something in life youll find a ,way,,come on,youve a yr to save up,,book now..xxx
 ........yammas

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 11:43:19 AM »
Kevin - I really wanted to go independent for BOTH Arillas holidays next year, but if I'd chosen the flights I wanted, from the airport I wanted, and especially the accommodation I wanted (Horizon), it would have worked out around £1,200 for the two of us....

Doing it this way, package in May and independent in Sept/Oct enables us to go there twice and do other things we enjoy as well.

We never economise on eating out while we're there - we eat out all the time and never "self cater" so this also helps the local economy

Looking forward to two weeks at Horizon in October this year!  Can't wait...

Janis x x

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 12:46:55 PM »
We could only do Independent as we only ever want to stay at the Horizon, yes we have stayed at other independent places and at Kaloudis over the years and each of them satisfied our need at that time but we kind of found our spot now and would be reticent to compromise.
This little trip did'nt feel as expensive because I had already paid for the flights last year and 1/2 of the accommodation but in total
Fights £280, Taxi £100 Hotel £490 = £870 but I did pay for an extra day at the Horizon as we had a late return flight.

Ive looked at prices for maybe a return visit in Sept for hubby's 50th but so far nothing is coming up even looked at the cheapy packages just for the flight...what will be will be it would be nice but it may just be a few days in Spain to celebrate.
Ang

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »
Ang, I feel that same about the Marinaki. Having stayed (and enjoyed) our hols at lots of different Arillas places over the years, as soon as they were built that was it for us!

I always remember us saying when it was just the Flamingo pool, that would be such a PERFECT spot for some apts! We also find that the independent price for 5 of us is impossible to beat via package and by a good £7/800. I can only IMAGINE the relaxation that PPMAN is enjoying now...grrrrr...

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 02:22:03 PM »
this yr it cost us for a 2bed apt at the marina ,£540 for 12 nights,,£260 for flights £100 taxi..total £900 ,,£40 more than t/c package in a 2xbed in the rainbow,,so not that much of a differance,,,xx

Offline NicandJohn

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 03:03:49 PM »
We've just booked for next year but again not arillas. Next year we'll be just over the headland at Romanza villa. 2800 euro for two weeks, flights for 4 at 800 euro, just need to organise a car now.

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 06:28:14 PM »
Being restricted 'up north' with Newcastle and its limited choise of flights, we could'nt get close to what we have paid for 2 weeks at the Akti next Jun/Jul. Would love to go it alone so hotel gets more money, but it adds £300 to the holiday compared to what we paid through Thomas Cook and for us that is the difference between going or staying.

Booking.com