Author Topic: The magic that is Corfu  (Read 2562 times)

Offline jean

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
The magic that is Corfu
« on: June 27, 2011, 06:03:24 PM »
Have just started reading Gerald Durrell'd My Family and Other Animals. have never read it before but after a recent visit to Arillas thought I'd better give it a go. Chapter 2 concludes,
" Gradually the magic of the island settled over us gently and clingingly as pollen. Each day had a tranquility, a timelessness, about it, so that you wished it would never end. But then the dark skin of night would peel off and there would be a fresh day waiting for us, glossy and colourful as a child's transfer and with the same tinge of unreality."
Deep sigh...Gerald is transporting me back there to my favourite island! Hang on a minute.... Chapter 3 begins...
"...The morning air was full of..... eager cock-crows, the distant yapping of dogs..." Yes that bit is still true too.
I'm up to the bit where they are living in the "pink villa." Not sure where this is but I'm sure a forum member will be able to fill me in. Is it on the N.E. side near one of those lovely little bays further round from Kassiopi?

Offline Ang

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
Re: The magic that is Corfu
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:57:22 PM »
 Jean,Im half way through the Corfu trilogy-my family and other animals,birds, beasts and relatives & the garden of the gods, the only reason im half way through is that I started reading the 2nd book by John Waller yesterday - Avrio Never Comes, the first was an excellent little read Greek Walls

Gerald Durrell was an excellent writter, whilst in Arillas the other week there was many a moment when I just burst out laughing, also when my hubby was a wee boy his gran lived next door to him and he spent many an afternoon chatting to Gerald.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the books.
Ang

Offline jean

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »
I keep hearing about these books by John Waller. Will add them to my must read list!

Offline Ang

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:15:01 PM »
Jean I picked up a second hand v good condtion signed copy of his 2nd book for only 1p plus postage £2.80 on Amazon...

Offline jean

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:21:48 PM »
Wow! Will keep an eye open!

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:13:11 AM »
This is a quite good article about the subject:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/destinations/greece/article1289508.ece

And yes, the White House is on the NE coast in Kalami.
Life is good ;)

Booking.com