Author Topic: The Mist  (Read 7872 times)

Offline Aly

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
The Mist
« on: August 12, 2005, 01:17:57 PM »
See today's pic of the day (12 Aug).  Anyone experienced this whilst in Arillas?  It happened once when I was there a couple of weeks ago, its the most bizzare thing, its still very hot, but you can't see a hand in front of you!  When it disppears, its absolutely roasting  :o
Aly

Offline tracey&peter

• Arillas Addict
The Mist
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 01:40:50 PM »
As long as strange things dont come out of the mist Aly everyone will be fine - or has this already happened :wink:  :wink:

But then again, maybee the mist will clear a few strange things of the beach  :lol:  :lol:

Tracey  :)  :)

Tracey & Peter Smith
Solihull
West Midlands

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
The Mist
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 01:46:00 PM »
Yeah Aly, when we were over June/July there was mist one day.  It was so strange, it was like in patches and you walked into it and out the other side! :?

Tracey, I hope no one thought Keith and I were strange things! :D

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
The Mist
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 01:50:57 PM »
I am still seeing the picture of the day for  the 11th August
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline Fiona

• Arillas Addict
The Mist
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 02:00:01 PM »
Yes, I experienced the mist on 11th August.  It was really weird, almost spooky, and even blew into Porto Fino while we were having lunch.  As has been mentioned, as soon as it disappeared it was absolutely scorching and very humid.  However, it was early afternoon before it went.

Funnily enough it was hovering just above the sea the night before and I took a picture of it, never imagining what it was going to be like the following day.

Fiona

Offline rachelc

The Mist
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 11:29:06 PM »
The mist was also really bad on the 12th and very early hours of the 13th.
We flew home on Saturday 13th at 6am and our transfer got us to the airport by 2.40am.  Needless to say check in wasn't open and we had to wait outside on the grass.
At about 3.30-4am the mist descended again and once we had got into the building and checked in, we discovered that a flight from East Midlands airport had been diverted to Athens because it hadn't been able to land at Corfu!

Offline Fiona

• Arillas Addict
The Mist
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 11:39:12 PM »
Yes, the flight from East Midlands that was diverted to Athens was the one we were due to catch back home!

Due to all the planes having to "stack" because of being unable to land in the mist at Corfu, our pilot realised that he was not going to have enough fuel to continue circling as he was last in the queue.  Hence he flew to Athens to refuel and then returned to Corfu.  Luckily the delay was only 2.5 hours as the airport is definitely lacking in comfort!  There was already a flight to Gatwick which had been delayed by 5 hours so lots of people were sleeping on the floor.

Quite a contract to our June flight when the plane took off half an hour early!

Fiona

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
The Mist
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 01:08:41 PM »
I think it was last year when we experienced the mist.  We were at Portofino looking out at the island when suddenly it was no longer there.  It was really weird.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
The Mist
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 09:27:15 AM »
Here is a photo I took of the mist in June.  (I was stuck  :?  on how to get the image onto here so I had to get my brother Killie to help me out!)

Eileenx

Offline Carolebabel

The Mist
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 12:01:13 PM »
We too experienced the mist in Arillas.  We were sitting having brunch in the Sea Breeze when the mist just came down and covered the island opposite.  As we watched the island appeared and disappeared a couple of times.  It was really strange!

Offline Aly

• Arillas Addict
The Mist
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 12:54:20 PM »
Fab photo Eileen!  really spooky, don't you think?

Offline Pete E

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
The Mist
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 01:15:47 PM »
We were in Arillas 1 - 15 August also and did experience some unusual weather.  There was a big storm the night of the 3rd (I slept through most of it though because of all the Metaxa I had drunk at Vasilis BBQ at the Nikos Apts!).  My wife, Elaine, ran outside at 3 am to rescue all the towels etc before they blew away.

The mist came down on a few days while we were there as well - I found it quite pleasant on the beach though as it wasn't too hot but was still warm enough for swimming (not too far out though!).  We had quite a few windy days as well when I went boogie-boarding in the breakers with my two boys - great fun.

Have to say that the weather was weird on occasions but not unpleasant at all.

Pete

Offline Carolebabel

The Mist
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 02:26:26 PM »
Hi Pete,

I agree the weather was still lovely and warm and very pleasant.  However the wind did mean it was cool enough for us to walk over to San Stephanos and up to Afionas without being too uncomfortable.

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
The Mist
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 12:11:06 PM »
We were in Arillas until 8th August, the weather was a bit foggy now n then, and very hot too. We had a brill time. It`s lovely there, our 4th time. Back next year. We stayed at Leonidas this year, and they are a lovely family. 2nd time at Leonidas. Last year we saw a gr8 storm, it was brill. The weather is usually great, we`ve always had a lovely time in Arillas. The people are fab. :D
Lindypops.

Booking.com