Author Topic: The Arillas Tourism Questionaire  (Read 24147 times)

Offline JohnJ

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: The Arillas Tourism Questionaire
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »
I have to agree with Corfusoon about the early closing during October We often come for the first 3 weeks in October and sure enough many places start to close down and it is quite depressing by the start of the 3rd week. To exemplify the situation it is just as bad for those of us who come early May.  We often come for the first 3 weeks and again many places do not open until the 3rd week which is very disappointing.  I realise that the owners worry about having to pay staff etc. with very few cutomers, but I worry about the people that come for the first time at that time of year and October who will go home saying "there is nothing open and we will never go there again"  An exaggeration of the facts I know but I have heard it said.  If the owners are not careful their season will end up being June to September and have to earn enough to last them for 12 months in just four months.  In addition there are those peole who come outside of the school holidays deliberately or have their holiday dates dictated by their employers and they again may choose eventually to go elsewhere.  Those of us that have been coming to Arillas for man many years will of course still go but as we all get older (and much older in my case) we shall be a dying breed.   We all love Arillas and the wonderful people who make our holidays so wonderful and I only put this forward in the hope of improving things for them as well as us.
JohnJ
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »
" If the owners are not careful their season will end up being June to September and have to earn enough to last them for 12 months in just four months." 

Thanks John. You put my point better than I.
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 04:12:51 PM »
think i was am honoured to have been the 1st to have filled in the questionaire,back in june whilst in brouklis with dimitris and vasillis from arkokal,and youg spiros with mummy putting the stamps on the pages lol,,,good times ,,yammas

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 05:17:05 PM »
You may be, Kevin, but it's possible I beat you!!  ;)

Yammas,
lynn xx

Offline kvarnell

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 09:48:50 PM »
All filled in, what a great idea,we were given ours at the bar in Kaloudis by Vasilis.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 03:10:07 AM »
At the end of 2011's season, I hope the authorities are busy reflecting on all we have all said in the questionnaire. Arillas is quite different to other North West resorts. All of them are beautiful, but none have the special character which makes Arillas unique.

It is nothing to do with level of service, you get this in nearly all cases, wherever you go in NW Corfu. For people on holiday it offers a mile of beach (that needs, and is largely maintained by local families, but could do with more clearing by the authorities.) And it is safe for young families.

It offers complete peace if you want it, but also some partying if you want that too. There is a range of accommodation that serves most needs (maybe some more single rooms or disabled facilities needed? I have read posts about those.) It has some of the best chefs/cooks in the island, and the food is affordable and to die for. All by the hands of our local hosts.

That doesn't mean it needs no support. It could easily look after double or more in the majority of the season, if it gets just the right support. But the marketing is patchy, and I get the feeling that the tour operators are still treating it, and us "tourists" badly. The truth is that you will be part of the family if you want it, like Jen and me, or served professionally and courteously, advised, helped and looked after, without needing to be us.

There is very little point asking us lot (the forum, Facebook, the quieter regulars....) We already know what Arillas means to us and we all want to promote its long term success. We only gripe about the ATM and buses.

But a bit of Municipal support to maintain the look and feel would be a start. And a marketing campaign which recognises how unique an asset Arillas is to Corfu.

Phil

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Just a brief reply to Phil's post. I agree Arillas is not like any other resort. It has a very homely and special feel about it. It is the only place I feel comfortable enough to visit alone

Mary :)

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 02:42:06 PM »

I don't want Arillas to change, I just want it to become more prosperous,
and to do this it needs more and better marketing as Phil says.

I noticed Thomsons seem to be giving a better description in their on line promotions this year and have awarded both Mathraki and Kaloudis accolades for the new season, so if Thomas Cook follow this trend maybe Arillas will get a little more advertising and put it back in the public eye, as not everyone uses a computer to book their holidays, so many people never see the independent accommodation that is available as well.

Val x         

The love affair continues.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
I agree Phil, Mary and ValnBill. Like Mary, I feel it's a place I can go alone and feel totally safe and 'at home' thanks to it's unique character and wonderful friendly people.
On the plane coming back we all had a long questionnaire from Thomson Holidays asking us where we had stayed and whether we went 'independent' or as a package, to name and rate our accommodation and resort. I have just received another email from Thomson asking similar questions, again asking for info on accommodation etc. even if I went 'independently'. Makes me think they are looking to expand their business on Corfu, as there are a lot of people still going there. As long as they pay the hosts a reasonable rate/guest!
We'll see what happens in the new deals next year.

Martin.   

Booking.com