Author Topic: Holiday Reading 2011!  (Read 44147 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Holiday Reading 2011!
« on: August 19, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »
After trying but miserably FAILING to find an old topic of the same name I will resurrect a 2011 version..

I would be interested to learn of any recommended reads this year.  I am currently making my way through Gerald Durell's Corfu Trilogy and it is an absolute JOY to read! So, so funny with breathtaking desriptions of Corfu throughout the seasons.

Whilst on holiday I read 'The Summer of my Greek Taverna' (excellent) by Tom Stone and Nights of Rain and Stars by Maeve Binchy (so so). Can anyone see a pattern emerging?! I have already read the excellent books by Jon Waller and the heartbreakingly wonderful 'Life, Love and Loss in Corfu' by James Chatto.

Offline emeralddragons

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Holiday Reading 2011!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:09:37 PM »
Dear Jo, -
Recommending books is always tricky, but here goes:
There is of course that other famous Durrell, brother Lawrence , but I read his novels so long ago that I dare not recommend them. They may have aged - I certainly have!
Books describing a move to a new country, the joys and tribulations of settling in and adapting to a new way of life, became very popular after Peter Mayle published his books about Provence, starting with A Year in Provence, if I remember correctly.
But the genre has always existed, for instance the similar, much earlier series of four books by Lady Fortescue. The first, Perfume from Provence, illustrated with small drawings by E.H. Shepard of Winnie-the-Pooh fame, was first published in 1935, and the sequel, Sunset House, in 1937. Her autobiography, There's Rosemary, There's Rue from 1939, was followed by Trampled Lilies in 1941, a book about the war. These books were reprinted in pocket by Black Swan in 1992, with later reprints. Slightly quaint, but clever and interesting. Not about Corfu, though...
I probably should recommend one or another of the oh so popular Scandinavian crime novels, but I find them far too violent for a relaxing holiday. Instead I'd like to mention the Moomin books by (Ms) Tove Jansson from Finland. (Not the cartoons, although they are good, too.) If you thought they were only for children, think again, and read them with grown-up eyes!
I always find that a few pocket books by old personal favourite authors is the safest bet.
Emeralddragons

Offline Anne

• Retired and loving it!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 09:45:33 PM »
I have just read The Kite Runner - enjoyed that very much. I think my all time favourite book must be - The Island by Victoria Hisslop. Anne x
We were in Arillas for 2 whole months and going again for 2 weeks :-)

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 10:22:37 PM »
Jo I did the Gerald Durrell Trilogy earlier in the summer and whilst I had read them in my teenage years I had forgotten on how an easy and enjoyable read they are with many an aloud chuckle or laugh whilst reading and have since bought 5 more of his books for hubby all of which he too has read....

you should read his brother Lawrence's account of his time in Corfu - "Prospero's Cell" completely different account of their time there but with some similarities.

I'm disappointed with myself this summer that I have not read as much as I would normally,something which I must try to correct, but sadly my most prolific reading moments are when the sun shines and I am sat in the garden....and we have not had much of that or if we have I have been working or writing my own little adventures on here, which come to think of it are probably another reason why I have not read as much lol.

I have done the 2 Jon Waller and enjoyed, the first was better in my opinion.

The genre of the books I read can vary - however I do tend to prefer the complex mystery, crime, style of writers and then on the flip side I can pick up a book from a complete stranger to me and enjoy - the last one a few month ago which I got from my local post office - donations to cancer charity was one by Susan Howatch  - The Dark Shore - bit of a romantic side entangled with intrigue etc first published 1973 I think I had that copy - but a lovely little paperback minute script needed glaases.

Emeralddragons I have read some of the Sandanavian novelists, they are very violent in thier descriptions but some good writting, I just cant seem to get in to Jo Nessbit with the same ease of reading though the story lines is v good
Angxx

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:24:57 PM »
i know say no more
i only read the bottle labels in the coconut and malibu ,,hmm wot to have next ,,lol...yammas

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:44:56 PM »
I read about 4 books by Cecelia Ahern. I love her writing - she's very different and always a bit quirky.
Sandy x

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 12:24:07 AM »
Lol Kev ;-) x

Offline june

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »
Hi

For books about Greece I read 'Eleni' and 'A Place For Us' by Nicholas Gage. Eleni is is true story of growing up in Greece and his mother being executed for sending her children abroad during the civil war. Very harrowing in parts, I hadn't realised just what a hard time they had had. 'A Place For Us is the story of Nicholas after he had had been sent to America to be brought up by his father and aunts. Very amusing in parts and made me think of the Arilas people who had also gone to America.
Also love Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Much better than the film and the speech about marriage says it all.

June

Offline june

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 11:25:21 AM »
PS Anne

I also enjoyed The Kite Runner and also A Thousand A Splendid Suns by the same author. Makes you realise how lucky we are.

June

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 12:34:01 PM »
Some very interesting suggestions here so thank you. I really want to read the Lawrence Durrell one so think that may be on the agenda.Interestingly, his biography states that he had a wife with him whilst in Corfu but no mnention in Gerry's books. Strange. I read the Island and greatly enjoyed also.

Offline Atalanta

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 10:03:20 PM »
I can also recommend

The Wasted Vigil by Nadeem Aslam

A stark and uneasy brutality runs through this elegantly crafted tale of latterday Afghanistan
If you enjoyed A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner.

The Potter's House by Rosie Thomas
 set on a Greek Island

Unless by
Carol Shields
The story of how a woman copes when her daughter drops out of university and lives on the street.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 11:16:14 PM »
they say the ignorant are blessed ,,,im soo blessed .
give me the sun from alex,s and a mythos from anywhere ,now thats holiday reading ,,lol...yiammas

Offline JHS

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 12:19:12 AM »
Jo I can absolutely see your pattern emerging and the one I would recommend more than any of the others is The Venetian House (sorry cant remember the author but it will be on Amazon) - it is one of those lovely stories you can lose yourself in and it is all set in Corfu.  Absolutely brilliant when reading it in the sun!  Enjoy!

Offline Atalanta

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 10:24:29 AM »

The Shield of Fatuity

Codevilla, Angelo M.

I also recommend this but some may find it too heavy going for holiday reading.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 11:44:51 AM »
they say the ignorant are blessed ,,,im soo blessed .
give me the sun from alex,s and a mythos from anywhere ,now thats holiday reading ,,lol...yiammas

Nice one Kev, that made me smile on a cloudy Sunday morning.

I can't read on holiday, as there is too much to see, lots of people to talk to, and immersing yourself in the daily happenings in Arillas is the same to me as reading a book.

Booking.com