Author Topic: Holiday Reading 2011!  (Read 44038 times)

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Holiday Reading 2011!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 12:41:55 PM »
Afraid I'm the same as kev and Terry. I prefer to stare at the surroundings and "read" all that appears in front of me. It's why I can sit staring at Gravia for hours on end from Graziella. Jen wins too because it will shut me up long enough so she can .... read her book!

Phil

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 01:47:39 PM »
I always used to take a few books with me on holiday - in fact, "My Family and Other Animals" was one of my choices on my first visit to Arillas and I loved it, BUT I find now I may pick up and read a couple of books that other holidaymakers have left behind in the library of our accommodation but couldn't even begin to remember what they were! Probably some psychological thriller or other, but we tend to spend most of our time wandering around and meeting up with old and new friends

Janis x

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »
Unfortunately none of my reads, [well listens as I download audiobooks onto my ipod - saves on the arms whilst sunbathing and you don't have to wear sunglasses or risk eye wrinkles! :-)]  followed your theme but one is well worth recommending - Restless by William Boyd.  It was superb. I could not stop listening -possibly a combination of the story and the narrator.

Synopsis: It is 1939. Eva Delectorskaya is a beautiful 28-year-old Russian emigree living in Paris. As war breaks out she is recruited for the British Secret Service by Lucas Romer, a mysterious Englishman, and under his tutelage she learns to become the perfect spy, to mask her emotions and trust no one, including those she loves most. Since the war, Eva has carefully rebuilt her life as a typically English wife and mother. But once a spy, always a spy. Now she must complete one final assignment, and this time Eva can't do it alone: she needs her daughter's help

Offline sunflower

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 02:00:55 PM »
Like Kevin, Terry and Phil I never read while on holiday.
I'm too busy taking it all in and meeting friends, old as well as new.
For me reading is for the long, cold winter-times with not much else to do.
But being a writer I take notes every day and sometimes a novel comes out of it.

Connie x

Offline georgia

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 11:26:25 PM »
Hello all,
One of the best parts of being on holiday is being able to read without the interuption of housework and cooking, I can plough through 12 books in a fortnight if not more. The advent of the kindle has been fantastic as no longer have to fret over weight of loads of books in my luggage.
I love a varied selection, though have several favourite books that I can enjoy over and over..namely Mapp and Lucia series, anything by Scott Fitzgerald, Martina Cole, and biographies by the score...nosy parker love to hear about other peoples lives..ha! x

Offline Atalanta

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 12:28:57 AM »
Blott on the Landscape by Tom Sharpe another favourite of mine.

The Ladies of Letters Collection is available as audiobook.

Anything by Colin Bateman!

Georgia how do you find the Kindle battery life? Is it possible to finish one book without a battery recharge? I wonder how you manage as you a such an avid reader?

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 11:37:45 AM »

I too take a Kindle to Arillas now, like you Georgia I find it superb, lots of room in my suitcase now, there was always loads of room on the way back as I always read everything I take, and more, but just carry one book usually a swop, on the flight back.

Atalanta, the Kindle battery life lasts days and you just recharge it by plugging it to the wall socket, you can charge it via your computer but I find the socket more convenient, you can also read while charging.
Since getting mine I have done a lot more diverse reading after loading lots of free books on, many of which I would not have bothered to buy or cart home from the library. All this from something the size of an envelope.

My holiday reading consists of 99% the same as everyone elses!! we seem to be a like minded lot, the other 1% are rereads from my youth, Neville Shute early Harold Robbins and other popular authors from the late fifties through to the seventies.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline Atalanta

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 05:33:28 PM »
Thanks Val for the information about the Kindle. I find the adverts very off putting as I do think they look a bit silly! I am encouraged to get one after hearing that your reading is now more varied and you have good battery life.

Another favourite by Neville Shute is On the Beach. I haven't read The Carpetbaggers by Harold Robbins since I was in my twenties but I remember hiding it from my mother's prying eyes. It would be very tame by today's standards.

Thank you again

Offline suzanne simcox

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 07:36:53 PM »
My Kindle is my new best friend, and have had it since last yr, keep downloading books for my visit back to Arillas in July first in 3yrs, since my stroke, they are brilliant, not carting loads of books in ya suitcase, it hold over 3000, so look out for the ones under £5, and there is loads for 99p. Roll on July 2012, cant wait, it will be our 24 or more time to visit xx No long walks for me now, :-( but I will still have a brilliant time from my wheel-chair/walking stick that will be for an odd small walk,lol

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 08:20:01 PM »
Mmmm I must look into these Kindles....Im such a fan of a good old book though, but I see myself being converted ladies - ah Harold Robbins, I too read all of his novels during my 20's they were a little raunchy then but as you rightly say Atalanta - very tame by todays standards.

Suzanne every one deserves a little new best friend and after your stroke what better way to enjoy your long awaited holiday next year...roll on your 25th visit.
Ang

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 08:25:33 PM »
Go for it Suzanne. Jen can't walk anywhere these days but we still do Arillas big-time. She reads more these days though. I could walk all over the area alone, but prefer to do nothing with Jen, than anything on my own.

Phil

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 09:45:49 PM »

Phil you are just like my Bill.......... lovely x

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline Paul & Denise

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 12:46:54 AM »
To all you "Kindlers" how good are they in bright sunlight? I am very tempted with the thought of carrying just a small tablet loaded with my favourites and my music too! I never read in the UK but can go through half a dozen on holiday.

Offline june

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 11:37:26 AM »
I'm very interested in a Kindle. I'm trying to read 'Fall Of Giants' by Ken Follet but it's a great big hard back book.I know I'll enjoy it but it's so heavy it's awkard to hold. I'm sure a Kindle would be bril for something like that but I don't know which model would be best for me.

June

Offline suzanne simcox

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 11:40:05 AM »
Hi, just to answer the question, Kindles are brilliant even in bright sun, have sat on our patio (when) the sun was shining no problem, if in doubt go onto Amazon and read the blog, downloaded 3 more free books yesterday, and a couple for 99p, BARGAIN :-) you will need the more expensive one for music.

Booking.com