Author Topic: Expansion of nudist beach  (Read 61697 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Expansion of nudist beach
« on: August 30, 2011, 12:06:04 AM »
My son and his family loved Arillas but they had one problem that prevented them from using the beach as much as they would have liked to have done.

I had told them about the nudist beaches but they said that people were naked almost up to the part of the beach opposite to Kaloudis. On the morning they were picked up  to go back to the airport a naked man was clearly visible from the coach. I am sure other forum members would have seen similar in August and I was wondering if this was a common occurrence. 

I am amazed, that if this happens regularly in August, that there haven't been official complaints. When we were regular visitors to Skala in Kefalonia, a similar situation arose and the nudist "beach" kept getting closer to the main beach. One day the police raided the beach and arrested some of the nude sun bathers.

Because there are no "official" nudist beaches in Greece it has been left to the discretion of the local people to accept the beach and also to hope that naturists are sensible where they take their clothes off.

Maybe a solution would be a sign as this would put down a marker and people with young children would not have to leave the beach.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Expansion of nudist beach
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 12:32:18 AM »
Tough one Terry.

The unofficial but accepted stuff on our beach is that it's naturist after the rock outcrop. Mostly you have to wade round it. But Dimitris posted today or yesterday that you can now walk there without wading. Such bl**dy good news about the beach but it all seems to have got lost.

I have a problem with all of this. Arillas provides a perfect beach, bucket and spade children's holiday with shallow sea, workable sand, refreshments (forget donut man - total abberation) and naturists can stay at far north/south end and worship the sun, sand and sea. It is a mile long. There is room for eveyone. Including me, naked and behind my big rock at the far North end. But in the middle, by the jetty and to the south past Graziella, there is plenty of room for everyone. Textile, naturist, man, woman, Greek, Italian, German... everyone. That is the point of Arillas, and why I am so besotted. We can only have our little bit of it all. The rest belongs to someone else.

Phil

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:47:14 AM »
I definitely think the man was out of order and I speak as someone who uses the beach and loves it. There is definitely a time and a place though and in my experience I have only seen nudists at the very far end where the beach is a wide expanse past at least 3 jutting rocks and a good 5-10 mins away from kaloudis steps

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 12:56:59 AM »
Agree Jo meluvver. It would be quite wrong to see naturists all over the beach. 3 rocks from the sun sounds good to me. Isn't that the point? The far North/South ends for the unclothed, but plenty of safe space in between for everyone else. Live and let live. The spirit of our Arillas.

So sad for you back in Blighty. Like me, work tomorrow and deep depression.

Phil

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:25:24 AM »
Maybe a point all guests / holidaymakers can raise when they fill in their -
"Arillas Tourism Questionanaire"

Negg

Online vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 12:45:53 PM »
When I first decoverd the nuddie beach,apart from the fact that Dimitri's Grandmother would have chased me with her walking stick, Norm & Sandy posted this to me so please stay aware of it and dont spoil it for everybody else (not only that we could end up without any part of the beach.)

hi ya
as the others have said there is a nudist beach and yes i have been on it,but you must remember that the greek people are a little bit reserved when it comes to people baring all and i do advise you that you must keep to the far end or you could offened the locals, other than that they tend to turn a blind eye if its not in there face(excuse the pun)but it is against the law if it is not an official nudist beach which im affraid it is,nt
i have seen two british girls arrested a couple of yrs ago for baring to much too near to the central beach.
might see you there take care
norm&sandy

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Gotty & Liz

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 01:01:31 PM »
Let see the positive side of the thing.

Now in Arillas you can do "bird watching" for free....

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »
i have seen two british girls arrested a couple of yrs ago for baring to much too near to the central beach.

I was arrested once and taken to court. Case dismissed - not enough evidence.
(Well , I had just come out of the cold sea)
Hmmmm!

Get these questionaires filled out people and make you views known.Never alienate those who follow the local flexible guidelines.
It's never been a problem in the past.

"Bird Watching" for free Gotty? - I think there may be many "big birds" out there to watch them all - Maybe an Ouzo instead! - Now that makes sense!
Priotities first - ( Two ouzos and I see double! - Aaaaarrrgh! )
Negg

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 09:14:26 PM »
The North Beach has been where it has been since before all of our time - Ive read somewhere it kind of became adopted by naturists during the 70's, I could be wrong, so maybe all it needs is for some to gently remind others where the line stands!!..you really cant put up signs when its an illegal activity - which is not really policed monitored or observerd and for very good reasons - I keep hearing that we dont want to change Arillas - well keep that in mind all.

Me im not bothered either way im happy to wander off down to the north end just because I like to walk one end to the other, love walking through the sea to get there, sometimes I enjoy a bit of peace, tranquility and just sit and watch the waves and sink my feet in the soft wet sand..... Im probably the odd one out- got a wraparound on or shorts and top -  but I dont care - what I did always absolutaly adore was a swim eu natural , must try and come back late season when the sea has warmed up - ah memories.
Angx

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »
When we were there in June there was naturists by the Kaloudis steps, seen a few families move because of this.  As Phil said there is plenty of beach along at the North end which has always been used.  One guy was in the water just standing with his wares on show just dangling above the water line, is there any need for this, I don't think so.  There is plenty of beach for everyone and have not noticed this in previous years.

Will mention it on the questionnaire as Neill suggested when we go in September.

Jill x
Jill XXX

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 06:29:09 PM »
In case I was misunderstood, I agree wholeheartedly that the naturists should stay beyond the rock outcrop. Exhibitionists are best ignored - they quickly lose interest. But above all, the other areas shoudn't have to endure offence or embarassment. We can't have signs, but maybe we should become a bit more assertive explaining the unwritten rules to any who breach them.

Phil

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »
Phil I'm sure in June some nudists were chased by a Greek guy from the South Beach.  I agree whole heartedly if people enjoy it they should do it with out embarrassment for both themselves and other people on the beach and this is so easily done by them going to the appropriate place

Jill xx
Jill XXX

Online vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 08:55:51 PM »
Well said Jill, in 2004 Dimitri's told me the north end had been used by naturist for 30 years
and not botherd anybody and nobody had botherd them. As Phil says the few exhibitionist will soon get fed up if ignored, the only thing is it only takes a few to spoil it all, and I think they should be told nicely but firmly by us to please go right tothe north beyond the rock crop. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »
I have to say when we were there the last 2 weeks we didn't see any nudists stray further than the little outcrop and we were on the bit of beach next to the nudist beach, the bit where the donkey track looks like its gonna give way at any moment infact there were a coupple of small rock falls while we were on the beach causing a cloud of dust
Phil the beach was getting bigger by the day and you could walk on sand to the nudy beach not sure if you can make it out on this pic but its deffo there as is the ather large fissure in the rock at the side of the donkey track lol
Tony

Offline andyandali

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 11:24:52 PM »
We first went to Arillas in 1983 and yes there were nudists on the north end beach but this never bothered us then or now. We went nude for the first time this year and its great. Yes maybe a sign would be a good idea but alot of us are regular visitors so we all know who is wher,nude or not. Live and let live!!

Booking.com