Author Topic: After the Storms  (Read 40092 times)

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Re: After the Storms
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 07:28:43 PM »
Actually, that's a very reassuring piece of information...
Sandy x

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 09:23:48 AM »
The phenomenon is called 'the Faraday cage effect', where the charge is restricted to the outermost surface, so the cabin and contents are not affected.

Wow! Not boring at all Martin and very good to know :)
Life is good ;)

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »

Thanks Martin you have reassured me. Now I can't wait to be on a plane in a thunderstorm. (After take off though).

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 11:29:07 AM »
I wouldn't be in a rush myself,
“while in the holding pattern, the aircraft was hit by lightning, which ignited fuel vapors in the No. 1 (left) reserve tank, causing an explosion that blew apart the outer portion of the jetliner's port wing. The crew of Flight 214 managed to transmit a final message – "Mayday, mayday, mayday ... Clipper 214 out of control ... here we go" – before it crashed near Elkton, Maryland. All 81 people on board were killed”

While lightning doesn't usually cause damage the winds and hail associated with storms can be disastrous and pilots are instructed to avoid storms wherever possible. Have a nice day!

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 11:57:08 AM »
Hi Dai

Not seen you on here for a while. Hope you are ok and not suffering too many withdrawal symptoms.

Hope to see you next year.

Sandy x
Sandy x

Offline june

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 12:16:59 PM »
Thanks for that Dai. My dread is flying and when I go to Majorca on Thurs I will remember every word of your post.

June

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 12:50:05 PM »

Dai I am not going to let Bill read your post, the only place he prays is on a plane!!
Me I love flying so I will just file your info and forget it. Still like to see a storm from the air though. Lol

Val x ;)

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 01:24:41 PM »
A good bit of info from Martin W to ease the fears of some passengers. I had that info back in 1994, so guess thats why I thought it was awsome, while others on the flight decided to scream out in terror :-) Which just made me smile. Wish I'd had a camera at the ready, but of course it was over in a flash. Sorry could't resist.

Gaz

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »
Hi Dai

Not seen you on here for a while. Hope you are ok and not suffering too many withdrawal symptoms.

Hope to see you next year.

Sandy x

Hi Sandy, can't believe it's only two weeks since I left Arillas. It seems like months not weeks. Must admit coming back after two weeks is much easier than coming home after 10 weeks and of course our glorious summer weather helps.

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 08:27:35 PM »
Just to back up Martins reply on Faradays Cage heres a you tube video the fuselage of an aircraft acts in exactly the same way as the cage in the video,now if the guy in the video was without the cage it would be Asta La Vista baby lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi4kXgDBFhw

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 07:45:36 PM »

Dai I am not going to let Bill read your post, the only place he prays is on a plane!!
Me I love flying so I will just file your info and forget it. Still like to see a storm from the air though. Lol

Val x ;)

Hi Val, didn't mean to scare anyone. That crash was in 1963 and since then I think there have anly been a handful of planes downed by lightning. The main risks are the electrical systems and stored fuel and safety designs in place nowadays have greatly reduced the risks. Mind you I love flying too but would rather sit in Efi's watching a storm out over the sea than fly through one.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 09:00:18 PM »
Nearly posted earlier, but cancelled it. I'm with Dai - he speaks the truth. We have watched every Air Crash Investigation on Nat Geo channel, read all the books, and keep coming to Arillas. It is now our only reason to get into one of those flying toothpaste tubes and suffer the indignities of airports. I have flown all over the Northern hemisphere, and hate it just as much as I ever did.  I'm quite sure that I'd get a taxi back to Arillas if there were storms around the airport when I was planning to fly. No, I don't trust the airlines to keep me safe, and I've got an awful lot of Arillas living to do before I pop my clogs.

Phil

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 10:42:34 PM »
Dai and Phil, my holiday starts when I close the front door, from that moment I enjoy every second, even some of the nightmare transfers we have made over the years.
 I always have a window seat and spend most of the time nose against glass even in the dark.... the moon and stars are beautiful from a plane.The most boring flights for me though are day time trans Atlantic, just nothing to see.
 I have felt lots of turbulence  and landed a few times in rain storms but never been in an electric storm, so guess I'm lucky (or not).
Also we have only ever seen a few storms in Greece although the most memorable was in Arillas whilst staying at the Marina, it started out at sea and then we saw water spouts travelling all the way across the horizon, right behind Gravia, as they diminished the thunder storm rolled in... Spectacular!!

Val x

Booking.com