Author Topic: go privately or with package co.  (Read 8355 times)

Offline gaye

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
go privately or with package co.
« on: August 17, 2005, 11:07:17 PM »
Been doing lots of deliberating since coming back fron Arillas a fortnight ago.
Can I ask for advice? Which is more economical....to arrange own transport and privately organise with local apartment owners ie Ina or Alex or to use a travel company?
Given the rise in air fares I am not sure really!!
Would welcome any comments.
Gaye
gaygo

Offline SteveH

Package or Private
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 12:02:52 AM »
Gaye

I've been doing exactly the same. I spent hours going through all the cheap flight sites I could find and found that unless you want to go at really off-peak at 'stupid o'clock' it is almost impossible to compete with a package. You might get to within 40 or 50 quid, but certainly not cheaper.

Having said that, we're not flying until the 3rd of October so I'm going to watch lastminute to see if the fares come down close to the departure date.After all that's the whole idea of lastminute. This year we've gone for a package and hiring a car locally which we will pick up at the airport.

I would go for a self made package once I've got a feel for the air fares but this time we just felt more comfortable with a package.

Unfortunately the flight checker on Arillas.com doesn't seem to work with advanced dates.

What I might do is choose a flight near the time we're going to fly and watch the price until the day. I could then post updates on the forum so that everyone can see the trend.

Steve

Offline bobandjoyce

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
    • http://www.essential-opportunity.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 12:19:34 AM »
Hi Gaye
I've been pricing air fares from Scotland and they cost a lot more than a package deal  :(

We would prefer to book direct with the local hoteliers but those of us on a budget, sadly, take the cheaper option.

Wish it were otherwise  :cry: even trying to juggle connecting flights from Inverness to London, London to Corfu would mean overnight in hotels en route.

Oh the joys of living in the back waters.

Wouldn't it be nice to think that the hotels got a fair deal from the travel companies?  I don't see how the hotels can make money when you compare the room rate + independant flight to a package deal!

If flights were cheaper I wouldn't hesitate to book direct with the hotel.

Offline SteveH

Just an idea
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 12:25:50 AM »
It might be quite an undertaking and a little far fetched, but if enough people were interested in going at the same time ......

Chartering an aircraft ?

as I say just an idea, thinking aloud.

SteveH

Offline gaye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 01:38:10 AM »
Thanks Steve and Bob and Joyce.......food for thought!! Probably right about packages being the best.
Steve... what a fantastic idea, chartering a plane full of like-minded people!
Not far fetched atall I don't think.
gaygo

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 08:58:05 AM »
Booking in advance when the flight operators have offers running is usually the best way to get a good price for flights.  Holding off until the last minute can work, but on a couple of occasions we have been caught out. IE in June my daughter who did not book at the same time as us paid £80 extra at the last minute.

Package versus DIY is a hit or miss, especially depending at which time in the season you want to go.  Sometimes we go package, othertimes diy.

It is especially difficult trying to get a decent price flying from Scotland, fortunately for us we can leave from Newcastle and take advantage of slightly better prices and more flights to choose from.

Next time you are over on a package ask around the apartment owners, there are apartments there which don't advertise much but are very reasonable and you may be able to set yourself up for a future visit.  When we were over we managed to get an apartment for our daughter in the first week of July for €200. Take a look at the very reasonable prices for the Galini.

Another tip is to get on the mailing lists with the Thompsons, Excel flights, etc, which will keep you up to date with their latest offers.

Because they negotiate discounts Gemstone travel can sometimes come up with a cheaper price for flights than booking direct with the Flight Co. direct.

Offline Aly

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 12:51:06 PM »
Package deals are great for 1+ persons, but for me  :cry: I go f/o because I get stung for single supplement!!! Its so not fair.
Aly

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Package vs Flight only
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 06:49:13 PM »
Friends of ours priced a package with Manos for the end Sept/begin Oct.
This was for a studio with Bar/Pool on-site., flying from Exeter and including a supplement charged were quoted £720.
This was for the same flight that we booked "Flight only" in February.
Flight only price to us was £190 each. We pay £24 a night for an appartment with on-site Bar and quiet pool. So cost to us as D.I.Y ers comes in at £716. You should add the cost of a Taxi each way to this.
But as we always hire a car for 14 days to be at the Airport when we arrive we don't take Taxi costs into account. More & more people on a package opt for a Taxi anyway so whether you include taxi fares depends on your circumstances. So you could say D.I.Y is about 10% dearer, depending how early you book your flights. But for that extra 10% once you get your cases you're on your way straight to the resort. You get looked after possibly better as the Owners are always available They also value your business. You don't have to vacate rooms by a set time. We generally pack to come home about 1 1/2 hours before we leave Arillas for the Airport. It's also worth looking at the likes of Castaway Travel, North Corfu and Arillas Travel as you do the flight and they look after the rest for you. - Hope this helps
Negg
Hope this helps.
Negg

Maggie

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 08:16:51 PM »
we plan to be in Arillas for 3 weeks next summer, and the cheapest flight we found was with  excel air. We have to go from Glasgow or Newcastle, and the re was £30 each difference flying from Newcastle. (cheaper). If anyone is thinking about flight only, it's worth checking this company, I think.  8)

Offline gaye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 08:23:21 PM »
Thanks everyone,
 your replies have given me lots to think about.
 Gaye x
gaygo

Offline Fiona

• Arillas Addict
Package vs DIY
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 09:13:40 PM »
After our wonderful week in August, we couldn't bear the thought of waiting until next year to go back to Arillas.  Due to my work colleague going to Australia for three weeks, I was left with the end of October or not at all.  The last week is half-term and, therefore, no packages available and flight only is an arm and a leg.

We plumped for 17th October being the first possibility. I have managed to get a daytime flight with First Choice for £201 each and we are staying at the Brouklis where prices are very acceptable.  Had we been able to go on the previous Friday, we could have got a package at the Bardis Sun Studios with Thomson for £184 each - what an amazing bargain!!

I guess the flights get very busy at the end of the season as people with property know that it is their last chance to go one way or the other!  

Fiona

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 09:22:21 PM »
Hi Maggie,

Yeah Excel are the cheapest for 'us up here'! We always fly with them, although mostly from Newcastle.  Remember and type GREECE into the special offers box when doing your search to qualify for a further discount. :D

Eileenx

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 08:23:12 AM »
When looking for accomodation try http://www.arkokal.gr/index.html another local business there to help you. :D

eileenx

Offline bobandjoyce

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
    • http://www.essential-opportunity.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 08:52:02 PM »
:D thank you Eileen, this forum is GREAT! there is always another link popping up!  I've become an addict and we haven't even been there yet!!

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 05:19:03 AM »
Hi Bob & Joyce
  When you are on the forum go to 'Flights to Corfu' and put in any date in October and airport you want to go from and it gives alot of choices and prices, the Freedom Flights usually come up the cheapest . When we go later in the year I wait until the last minute and able to get a cancellation or a bargain as we found not many people go at that time.

Paul/Deb5

Booking.com