Author Topic: Beach clean up  (Read 48419 times)

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
Beach clean up
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »
Recently  returned from our second visit to Arillas.
Nothing had changed. Excellent accommodation (Mathraki), wonderful people, great tavernas and fantastic wine festival.

Sadly the naturist  beach had not changed either, still untidy.

Having complained last year, this year was action time.
With Clive (an Eglish holiday maker) from  the ‘’ Keep Arillas Tidy’’ campaign, we cleared a moped frame, 3 refrigerator compressors, and 25 sacks (donated by the Armourada Taverna) of general rubbish.
Leon, from the Armourada, arranged for a boat to collect the rubbish from the beach and dipose of it.

Clive was presented with a diploma at the Wine Festival for his efforts in keeping the village clean.

Clive had never visited the ‘’nudy bit’’ before but has promised to in future.

Many people commented that it was the cleanest they had seen the beach for many years.
Lets hope next year everybody treats the beach with the respect it deserves.

I will be there to check up
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Re: Beach clean up
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »
Well done Clive and Turkeyfoot.  I don't visit that end of the beach myself, but I'm sure all who visit will appreciate your hard work.  I admire your willingness to participate in looking after your favourite place.

Eileen.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:59:03 AM »
Sally and I along with Fiona cleared about 15/20 sacks of rubbish from the beach in May,The bags were given to us by Dimetris,and then he went by boat in th evening and picked them up.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »
Great stuff Clive and Turkeyfoot.

I do wonder how some of the rubbish gets on to the beach and would imagine that a lot gets washed up after being dumped by boats. I did wonder about the moped frame but that could also have been washed up on to the beach, especially as there was the unfortunate accident with the seventeen year old girl a few years ago. One of my pet hates is litter, of any description, and maybe these efforts by Clive and Turkeyfoot could encourage all Arilliacs to remove any rubbish from the beach.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
well done clive and turkeyfoot  ,,i know sometimes the local schoolkids and all the local kids walk the length of the beach collecting rubbish ,and billy and leon at amourada,have also given so much.maybe a sign stating take your rubbish with you should be erected ,,,.yammas

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Well done chaps! :)

Dumping rubbish happens unfortunately everywhere, even in the alley way across the street directly infront of my house here in London town.

Eejits are eejits and nothing can be done about them. But we can all do our little bit to help as every little really helps ;)
Life is good ;)

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 01:47:55 PM »

Excellent work by Clive, Turkeyfoot, Harold, Sally and Fiona.
Well done. Never having visited the north end of the beach I didn't know it was so untidy. Once again thank you all.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 02:47:25 PM »
most of the stuff we picked up were plastic bottles and bags,most washed in on the tide,but not all the stuff.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »
It was a privilege to meet you, Turkeyfoot on the last day of your clean up.  We can vouch for the efficacy of your good work - you made a wonderful difference.  On our arrival we found the north beach cluttered with old umbrellas, mats, sundry curtain material, not to mention the motor bike frame and fridge compressors.
When we left it was almost in the state nature intended thanks to Turkeyfoot (& allies) good work.
Just to prove it here's a picture of me taken on 10th September 2011 on the beautifully clear north beach:-

Regards
Pat

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 08:48:29 PM »
Nikos and I cleared about 8 sacks of rubbish from the north beach a few years ago and they sent a boat along later to collect it....I was more than happy to do it as I was sitting there most days. It was all stuff washed up from the sea - mostly plastic bottles, old shoes and bits of rope!!
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »
My thanks too, turkeyfoot and everyone. I once contributed to a clear up, but forget which year now. Always willing, but I don't get there nerly as much as I used to - Jen finds the walk, let alone the wade just too much.

Phil

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »
Thanks for your positve comments.
Whilst the rubbish at the start of the season may have been washed ashore during the winter,  other than the moped and compressors without exception it was food and drink packaging and containers, together with beach mats, lilos and brollies all in a state of disrepair we collected.
I can understand the thought about leaving behind your unwanted brollies etc at the end of your stay for others to use, (we all like to recycle)but eventually it all becomes damaged and of no use to anybody and is abandoned.
If everybody took their unwanted bits and pieces away with them on their last day, and dumped them in the official rubbish bins, the beach would be so much more attractive.
It is not just visitors, but even some locals,  leave behind rubbish
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 05:13:33 PM »
We noted during the wide beach of 2008, that the south end of the beach had a lot of plastic bottles and metal cans left behind. I would gladly spend a day Next Jun/July clearing up as I love the sun, but can't just sit in it for too long.

I think I might have suggested at the time, that a few business's could supply and/or sponsor a metal dustbin that could be weighted and have a bin bag in it. Maybe a half dozen would do and save so much time and effort. Some local or visiting arty types could paint them with pretty images of Arillas so they dont spoil the views.

I know litter is horrid and boils my blood, but when its 100 degrees, some may be tempted to leave a plastic bag of bottles, cans and snack wrappers behind if they have travelled a couple of hundred yards up the beach. If a bin was 20 yards away.......

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 11:19:06 AM »
Hi
Last year I said I will be back to check the beach.
Have just booked for two weeks from August 31st. Looking forward to it.
Hopefully it will be a lot cleaner for everybody to enjoy.
Does anybody know if the wine festival is on this year?

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 11:35:13 AM »
i remember about 4yrs ago ,the local school bought all the kids to the beach and walked the whole length and picked up all the rubbish ,it was a great gesture,and also taught the kids about pollution in there own area,,and hands together for billy in ammourada for his help in keeping the local area clean ,,but at the end of the day its down to the people who use the beach ,more bins and signage will help in the mean time ,,yammas

Booking.com