Author Topic: Beach clean up  (Read 48417 times)

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
Re: Beach clean up
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 12:08:48 PM »
..... If a bin was 20 yards away.......
They would still leave the litter on the beach. !!!
It's a fact of life! Some people just don't care about their environment - they visit places like Arillas because they are so natural and unspoilt - then go and spoil them because they are too ******* lazy to take their litter home with them.
Ungrateful, inconsiderate *******'s
Disclaimer - Any views expressed in this post are my personal feelings and are not necessarily representative of the webmaster or any other user
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 02:10:22 AM »
Very true. I'm quite happy to slap on some cream in June/July and spend a few hours clearing up the beach armed with a bin bag, as long as I can have a dip now and then and a Mythos or 3 afterwards.

Offline kevin.g

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »
gaz sounds like a plan to get away from the outlaws ,,lol.yammas

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 05:54:31 PM »
Your on Kev, though if Pauline brings her wheelchair we can tie a bin bag and shovel to the back like an old dust and cart :-)

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 07:10:51 PM »
gaz
now thatll be a picture for the album,make sure she gets tracks fitted ,,its a bugger pushing wheels through the sand ,lol.xx yammas

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 03:06:11 AM »
She'll kill us both for saying all this :-)

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 10:49:26 AM »
Great efforts, lads and lassies ! I hate to see litter and abandoned household items whether on the beach or at the roadside.
But taking it away by boat !!  Where to ?  I hope it wasn't just tipped overboard .....next year's beach jetsam ??

Dennis

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »
Most definatley not.
It was taken to the official bins for collection
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »
i think for a small village they do well...they just need to keep on top of things ,in the busy months,,

Offline JohnJ

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
Re the rubbish on the north beach, I feel I have to say that it is not all washed up and not all holiday makers.  I remember even on our first visit in 1993 walking up to the house on the end of the cliff top .  We looked over the edge several times along the way and could see dumped tiles, old plaster, fridges, cooker and all sorts of stuff that could only come from locals, we don't tend to take those items with us in our suitacses do we!!!.   However I also have to say that thanks to some of the local busines's such as Billy and Leon from Armourada and many others that things are getting better and all their efforts are greatly appreciated.
JohnJ
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 11:57:22 PM »
johnj
thanx 
      ..billy and all his family have helped so much as have many ..............remember arillas is a small but a very loved village and the locals know this ,,but during the busy months its hard ,because there buissness,s take,are so busy earning there keep for the winter month,s ,,yammas

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 04:38:54 PM »
I am encouraged by the words of support on this issue. I look forward to my next visit on August 31st to see those words turned into action.
I hope to see a beach a lot cleaner than it has been the past two years.

For me the most important thing is respect

When you first go to the village are greeted as a tourist. The community extend a warm welcome and the traditional Greek hospitality, nothing is asked in return other than common curtsey.

When you leave you do so as a friend. When you return you are greeted as a friend.

When you leave friends you do not expect them to clean up your personal rubbish.

So to me, to show respect, at the end of your stay you don’t just abandon your inflatables, beach mats and brollies etc to fall into disrepair.
You do not  expect your friends to follow behind you  tidying up. You take your rubbish with you.

I don’t intend to sound pious over this, but to me it is important matter that can be easily resolved.
Lead by example and others will follow.
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 01:33:44 PM »
t/f
well said,, im sure the people on hear ,share your feelings ,,as do i ,lets hope other people who visit the resort also take notice of signage and bins ,,yammas

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 01:31:48 PM »
Turkeyfoot talks a great deal of sense.  I fully support the notion that everyone should remove their own rubbish.
Julia and I always try to do that and sometimes remove additional rubbish as well.
The dilemma that we have and it seems many others do too relates to beach mats and brollies.  Often at the end of a holiday you have a couple of perfectly good beach mats and a brolly you do not wish to take home.  Many folk leave these behind in a prominent position (away from the tide) so as to be found and reused.  Of course broken mats and brollies should not be so left.
On holiday in Kos on a lovely naturist beach we found that most people left their brollies and mats beside the council bins at the nearby carpark.  This meant that if they were in good condition they would be reused and if there at the end of the day taken away in the council dustcart - a reasonable solution it seems to me.
What do you all think?
PJ

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 01:57:57 PM »
Hi
I remember talking to you both last year.Perhaps we will meet this year?
A good idea.
Whatever is left on the beach, for what ever reason and good intention, eventually becomes unusable and nobody then takes responsibility of disposing of it.
Geoff

Booking.com