Author Topic: Horse riding  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Angela66

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Horse riding
« on: October 12, 2011, 10:11:34 PM »
Hi all.  I have been diligently reading all your posts in preparation for my visit next year, simply cannot wait!  Already feel quite the Arillas expert even though I have yet to visit, lol.

So tow questions.  Now I know some of you may get cross about my first question.  Nonetheless here we go.  My daughter and I would like to hire a quad but...not to use on the main roads but rather to explore the back roads that seem to snake through the olive groves and up into some of the small villages.  I reiterate: definitely not for use on the main roads.  Would you expect this to be relatively safe.

Secondly:  is there any horse riding nearby?  I know there is in Roda and Kassiopi, but is there any local to Arillas please?

Back to the quad.  My reasons for hiring one are because I am getting increasingly bored with simply laying on the beach as I get older (middle aged) but at 12 my daughter does not want to be on site seeing buses.  We have found a solution in boat hire but this can work out pricey if you look at say 5 days hire, thus the solution of a quad.  Car hire is not an option I would consider. 

So, look forward to your responses;)

Offline sharonF

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Horse riding
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:35:25 AM »
Hi Angela,

Dont know about the quads, never been on them, but the horse riding, we booked through Olga's travel which is opposite the Akti.  They take you in a minibus to Roda, then its a 2hour ride through olive groves and down to a beach.  Dont know if there are any stables more local, but can recommend the olga one.

Sharon x

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
Hi Angela, Whats more all the horses are heathy and looked after well.

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »
Well I usually jump on the back of a scooter with my other half for someting different but this year we also splashed out on a quad for the last day. To be honest it felt really unsteady which I was surprised at given that there are 4 wheels! That was on the roads so god only knows what off roading would be like! I know Ang off here always gets one and loves it so perhaps we are just wuss's! What about one of those beach buggy's? I still remember Smiffy's horrendous injuries after she came off a quad, awful. Bet your glad I replied aren't you, haha!!

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
Give the car hire some consideration

We have a small punto off Theo (Arillas Cars) usualy for three days
Can get through a few miles in three days and there are plenty of little villages and beaches you can get to without hitting the main roads

Three days car hire in the middle of the holiday breaks things up and allows you to get out and about.

Offline NicandJohn

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »
If you ride a quad at home on dirt and rough gravel tracks you will probably be fine around arillas, if you don't ride at home it wouldn't be a major surprise if you had an accident on what are compared to british roads, poor surfaces. Quads are surprisingly easy to turn over if you don't know what you are doing and the injuries you get are often worse than you would have with a two wheeler.
We have had bikes in corfu in the past, but I've been riding at home for 25 years, Corfu has different hazards such as olives on the road, poor surfaces and coaches or 4x4's on narrow lanes so I'm still extra careful, and I wouldn't have taken my kids on a bike in corfu, though I did at home.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 06:19:07 PM »

Although Arillas village is itself fairly flat, all of the roads leading out of the village are quite hilly and the side roads as you call them are in parts no more than dusty tracks, wonderful for walking but not for a novice on a quad, well not in my opinion anyway.
As John has said a small car is a better option. We never go very far when we hire one, and you will be able to visit all the other local beaches and villages with very little driving.
Do check out the maps on the forum for a better idea, or Google Maps Corfu, but clicking on to the Terrain version, this will give you a good idea of how hilly an area is.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline Angela66

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 10:05:29 PM »
Cheers everyone.  I think I shall pass on the quad!  I think what has convinced me is the feeling of them not being stable - I am not the bravest of people so ...

Hopefully the bus service between the NW villages will be running - or maybe I shall hire a car - or even just be lazy. 

So just 9 months or so to go now:)

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 10:43:08 PM »

For me one week only....., lazy wins, when we have two weeks we have a car from Theo at Arillas Cars for three days usually in the middle of the holiday.
What ever you do you will have a wonderful time.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Booking.com