Author Topic: Booking Dilemma!  (Read 10266 times)

Offline Paul D

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
Booking Dilemma!
« on: November 10, 2011, 03:31:05 PM »
Thinking long and hard about next years trip to Arillas.  As yet, we haven`t put any money down, thinking we would wait til January when, hopefully, sale prices will come into effect.
  I`ve kept off the travel websites on purpose so that I don`t become tempted to book now.
     Or SHOULD I book now?  Last time I left it late, we had a bargain.  But these days, the cost seems to spiral and no matter when you book, it can be expensive. But book, we will!!
    Low cost air travel is cheaper the earlier you book, I know but as yet have not tried this.   So do you think I`ll get a good deal in January, considering the way costs are at the moment? For package deal, that is.

Yammas,  Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
Re: Booking Dilemma!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »
To be honest I am pretty "obsessed" with watching package holiday and also flight prices of places that I have booked and generally over the last few years prices tend to go up. I would always go for booking early but saying that there does tend to be a "sale" February time?  I booked for next August in Arillas in September and prices have gone up considerably since for both the flights and accomodation (may be sold out now I think?) !  Same with June flights to Tenerife next June. We booked September and they have gone up by 30% already.
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline AJC51

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 11:54:28 PM »
Up until this year we have always booked early with Tommy Cook and found the earlier the better. We  booked for next June in early October with Easyjet from Luton early saturday flights 20k luggage £161 bargain. We missed the £153 flights by 2 days having to confirm hols with employers.

Allan

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:47:53 AM »
june?? when?? where??
hope to see you, will have to sort out when we can get there
ger x

Offline philandanne

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 12:29:16 PM »
Since finding out how little of the money we pay for a package actually finds it's way into the hotel owners pocket we always book direct with the hotel and get the best low cost flight deal we can. Much better for the local economy.

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 02:27:31 PM »
I understand how you feel about how much the hotel owners get from package holidays.  But if it means that it is affordable for us to go, then that is the way for us.   
  Think we try and balance this out by spending our cash with our hosts as much as we can.

Paul
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 12:22:22 PM »
I'm with Paul on this one. IF we were in a stronger financial position we'd always book independantly but unfortunatley we're not. Booked flights through Easyjet and Tria Adelphia through Thomas Cook this time around.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »
paul /truth ,and all
at this time ,with the world in economical crisis,,i think the people of arillas just want bums on seat <excuse the pun>,no they might not get bundles of cash from the tour operator ,but theyll have people there spending cash in there bars and eateries, ive booked independent ,and it might be a tad more expensive,but if i was in a position,and had to choose package or no arillas ,then the answer is in our hearts,,,at least were going back next year ,,a thought for those who wont be able to .yammas

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 02:36:17 PM »
we would love to be able to book direct, but flights from bristol area are really expensive, so we book a package, but spend when we get there, so hope we are helping out a bit by doing that.
ger x

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 02:54:38 PM »
I think you're right Kevin. Greece in general, well the world for that matter , just needs to get money "moving" again. If only it were that simple though eh?
We shall be spending plenty as there are 7 of us for our second week when both sets of our parents come to join us and the daughter.

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 03:17:34 PM »
truth
that sounds lovely,i take wife and mum-in-law when we go ,and spend spend spend and if i ever run out ,off to cashpoint in san steph on me scooter,ang get some more,,,,true nothing is that simple ,but its a start,,yammas

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 03:26:49 PM »
We have all gone away in May for the last 4 years but with school hols and everything its August this year. It is nice and me and the wife get a couple of nights out together while the little ones grandparents look after her. It is a start and all that we can do is our bit, one day the politicians might do their bit !

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 09:02:45 PM »
We have already decided to gamble on next October last-week. As soon as EasyJet releases them we will book flights. If we wait it will cost as much again, and that might just tip the balance against being able to go.

If it all goes wrong we will only have lost the low fares. Well, that's how desperate we get for our late week. 2012 will be our 6th time.

Phil

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 09:16:48 PM »
There might be a bit of a party that week Phil....Michelle and I will be there and maybe a few others.......
Sandy x

Offline adairsl

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 01:41:33 AM »
I dont think we should get too concerned about any dispute between package/independent bookings.For example we travel from Glasgow so are pretty well tied to a package to Kaloudis which we love!
The main thing is that we should encourage people to come to Arillas so the hotels/apartments/bars/restuarants do good business.Then the local economy will thrive and we will have introduced Arillas to more to appreciate its enchantment.

Booking.com