Author Topic: Thomas Cook.  (Read 13559 times)

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
Thomas Cook.
« on: November 24, 2011, 02:02:53 PM »
Was about to book with TC the other day and then Janis told me about the differculty they are in. I wasnt quite sure weather we should go independantly (as we have done most of the time) but with the flights and accomadation I was looking at there is £386 differance. Now I really dont know what to do, I know what I would like to do but its a hell of a lot of money to save but if there's any chance that we may not get there, I think we have to bit the bullet. Has anyone else booked with TC for next year? x

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Thomas Cook.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »
My son in law works at a travel agents and they have been told they cant take any bookings for TC flights and can only take bookings for TC package deals. Its not looking good. Think I will wait till after Xmas to book my flights, may have to book through Thomson.
This is going to have a big affect on independent travellers and hotel owners.

Jill x
Jill XXX

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 04:50:56 PM »
I CAN'T say to much but I have a friend who works for TC who is convinced that this will not bring the company down.
She is not worried and her livelihood is at risk so I would say that Thomas Cook will be around for a few years yet. The fact that TC made a £190 million profit 2010/11 has been omitted from all of the media, as has the fact that TC have been planning to shut the shops that are being mentioned now a long time ago. They are a similar size to Thomsons and have about 300 more shops currently and people use the internet to book a lot more these days, its a no brainer really. The main problem that TC have is the Egyptian situation, they are tied into it more than Thomsons so they have been affected by it more. I hope I have helped to ease a few peoples worries although theres not a company out there that's 100% safe in this climate.
Personally I am looking to book next October half term holiday at the moment and it won't put me off using TC if they come out the cheapest but this is just my personal opinion. Could be a good time to get a bargain maybe???
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 05:33:42 PM »
We usally fly with thomson and stay any where we want too, I was going to book a package with TC  I will wait tel the New year and see what happens with bookings and prices. Got an e-mail from Bobby last night telling me to be careful about booking flights. x

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 06:03:16 PM »
They are cutting down on the number of planes that they own so I can understand why he has E mailed you that.
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »
I was told they had sold a number of planes and that is why they were using Mint planes. Have to admit even if they were cheapest if they use Mint next year there is no way I would fly with them. The planes were awful never been so squashed in all my life, it was total discomfort the whole way.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 07:03:36 PM »
Viv i think i'm gonna do the same as you and wait until the new year before booking which is when i usually book and you seem to get a better deal then,not sure if that,s because folks are up to the limit on their credit cards after Xmas and not booking hols so the prices drop slightly ,time will tell and very likely prove me wrong lol
One way or another we shall be in Arillas in August
Anyone on here ever hitch hiked there by any chance ? would love to hear your story !
Tony

Offline Angela66

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 08:00:42 PM »
Hi all.  If you look in the forum (somewhere) you will see my initial panic as I am booked with Thomas Cook for next year.  I have to say though, that after doing a little investigation online in Martin Lewis's forums and listening carefully to the good press (Fin. Times etc), I now feel quietly confident that next year with TC will be fine.  Not sure about the longer term but then none of us have chrystal balls.  Fingers crossed!

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »
maybe if they dropped there prices ,especially in school holiday time,and set a trend ,they might see a in flux,in bookings for 2012,,xx

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 08:34:42 PM »
Booked a package with TC in September for next summer.
Not worried about things, can't see it going upside down,
If it happens then at least I get a full refund (may have to wait for it)
One way or another I will be in Arillas next Summer
See ya all there.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 08:41:15 PM »
My only concern is that their share price dropped 60% in one day.....that can't be good news!
Sandy x

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 09:34:10 PM »
with 30000 staff ,,im sure the goverment will propp them up ,,,,yiammas

Offline Angela66

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »
Let's look forward to all logging on this forum in early summer and sharing a joke about how silly we all were to be worried.  fingers crossed still:)

Offline alex

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 10:03:59 PM »
i booked to fly with easy jet through thomas cook when the flights came out i have travel insurance and am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that everythink is ok for may.

Offline adairsl

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 02:08:13 AM »
Hi
Hope this helps to put you more at your ease.The last I heard TC had secured an agreement with their bankers which guarantees funding until at least 20013.Although we dont book with them it is great that a danger to visitors to Arillas has been averted.At the end of the day all we all want is to make sure everyone who wants to enjoy the enchantment of Arillas has that opportunity.

Booking.com