Author Topic: 21 Day Stay!!  (Read 10338 times)

Offline Paul D

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
21 Day Stay!!
« on: January 01, 2012, 12:10:28 PM »
You would think that booking a three week stay at Kaloudis with Thomson would be easy, wouldn`t you?
  Not so.   After being on their website and putting in possible dates, didn`t get what we wanted.
  When 21 days was asked for, results came back either that the dates were unavailable, which is wrong because when a two week package was asked for on the same spread of dates, there was plenty of availability.
 Also, if there was availabilty, the price jumped to a ridiculous £1000 plus, each.  Two week package came to just over £800 for TWO. Amazing.
  So rang local Thomson shop, said they would look into it. Saying that they could use a different system to us. One possible solution was to book two weeks and one week and then cancel the second week flight. I always thought this would work out much more but was told it might work out cheaper.
 Another way suggested was for them to contact head office and request to put a three week stay together.
 It seems three week stays with Thomas Cook are plentiful but we prefer to stay at Kaloudis and it`s not coming up with TC (it has done before).
  Am now awaiting an email for their answer.
 If we can`t get Kaloudis, then TC we will use.
   I know some will say go indepenent but this will work out too expensive.
Sorry this post is so long but WHY can`t things be simple???

Paul

Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
Re: 21 Day Stay!!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:38:44 AM »
Wow! 21 day stay...just dreamy.... *deep sigh*

I hope you get what you wish for Paul and that things will simplify with the tour operators! :)
Life is good ;)

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 01:08:10 PM »

Good luck Paul, and keep us informed.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 06:14:39 PM »
Very interesting Paul!
I want to book three weeks this year and have had exactly the same problem booking independently 'flight only' from Cardiff. I do from time to time get 'glitches' in the system, which will not allow me to book a 'single' seat, saying 'no seats available for these dates', but will allow me to book two seats on the same flight! Thought I was going nuts when 21 days were 'refused' on all flights and dates! So I think it's not the accommodation that is the 'spanner in the works' but the aircraft seat booking arrangements, assuming 'most' people want one or two weeks holiday, not three.
My local Thomson travel shop is only just round the corner from where I live and the staff are great. The only problem I can foresee if I book at the shop, is the 'booking fee' of around £30 which is not charged when booking 'on the net'.
Another interesting point is that Thomson are now not doing in flight meals on journeys under four hours. Instead, they are doing 'in flight snacks', jumbo sausage rolls, burgers, soup etc. a bit like 'MacDonalds in flight', not impressed.
Let me know if you get any 'joy' re. the booking problem,
Good luck,
Martin.   

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »
Will let you know how we get on - still awaiting a reply.
 I don`t like the way travel companies `assume` and `force` people into things.  If they want bums on seats and full studios/ hotels, they should simplify matters.

Here`s hoping,  Paul

Offline thorpe

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Hi Paul.You can get some good deals booking kaloudis for 3 weeks accomm only in May and June for betwenn 300-500 pounds for the 3 weeks for 2 plus flights with any airline ?

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 06:50:08 PM »
Thomson have put a package together but need it to be confirmed by their admin. office apparently.
  Gave us a price of £1300 for a three week stay at Kaloudis, flying from Cardiff.   20kg luggage.
  So we are pleased with the quote cos three weeks from Gatwick ( another accom.), was not that much cheaper. Plus costs of getting to the airport.
  So by tomorrow night, hopefully will have put some money down.

Yammas,  Paul

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
Thomson have put a package together but need it to be confirmed by their admin. office apparently.
  Gave us a price of £1300 for a three week stay at Kaloudis, flying from Cardiff.   20kg luggage.
  So we are pleased with the quote cos three weeks from Gatwick ( another accom.), was not that much cheaper. Plus costs of getting to the airport.
  So by tomorrow night, hopefully will have put some money down.

Yammas,  Paul
Congratulations Paul if it is confirmed. Tour companies seem to be controlled by how their computer systems are set up and have no flexibilty so it is good to see you might have got round the system !

Dennis

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 12:13:42 PM »
Off to travel agent fairly soon. Hoping that it is confirmed, then we can relax! Dennis, hope we do get round the system.

Update you all later.

Paul

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 08:25:41 PM »
good luck paul...yiammas,,xx

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 05:23:03 AM »
Great news Paul,
I sent Thomson an email, but no reply to date. Your price seems good, wonder if they will 'cook up' a single room deal, or revert to 'single supplement' additional payment for me. I want to travel from Cardiff, but not prepared to pay £450 return + tax/baggage etc.
Will send them a 'reminder' email if no reply soon.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 01:55:50 PM »
Happy new year to you all!
Well, after having no replies to my numerous emails to Thomson, I decided to phone their 'help' line. After the usual 'press 1,2 etc' got through to a very helpful chap called Tom. I explained what I wanted to do, and he explained why it's not possible.
Thomson set their booking plan on the internet to units of 7 and 14 days, to coincide with pre-booked holiday 'packages', which also include cruises and cruise-stay bookings. The only way to 'over-ride' these units is to speak to a planner, either by 'phone or go to a shop. They will arrange suitable dates, by 'crunching' two or more 'packages'  and removing the pre-booked return flight/s that are surplus to requirements. There will be no 'booking fee' and once arranged, a non-refundable deposit will be taken to hold the arrangements and confirmed on the day. The rest of the money will be taken two months before the flight. Simples!
With that in mind, I had another 'scout round' the prices on their website. YESSSS! The prices are beginning to fall. Saw £368 early May, and as low as £268/288 later on up until early June per two weeks. Now that IS good for Cardiff!
Next stop my local shop!
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »
Rang Thomson today to check confirmation, as we`ve had nothing in the mail.  Was told it had been sent out and holiday is confirmed.
  Only got to pay for it now....

Yammas,  Paul

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 02:01:39 PM »
Great news Paul, when are you travelling?
Martin.

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 02:03:35 PM »
Hi, Martin.  Just read your post.
  Thomson shop rang their `repackaging` department to sort out our three week plans. Amazing what can be achieved, isn`t it?
 Nice to hear prices are falling and hopefully you will be sorted out.  Let us know how you get on.

Paul

Booking.com