Author Topic: Very Old Photographs Of Arillas  (Read 22756 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Very Old Photographs Of Arillas
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:57:08 AM »
These two photographs are on the "Corfu Old Photos" Facebook group pages. They were posted by Theofilos Filis Tzikas, who kindly gave permission to post them on the forum.

It would be nice if there were larger, copies without the watermark.

Offline Ann K

• Arillas Addict
  • Arillas! Arillas! Arillas!
Re: Very Old Photographs Of Arillas
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
Incredibly beautiful and so peaceful.
Ann x

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 03:05:16 PM »

Thanks for posting these incredible photographs Terry, I would love to know the names of the families who lived in the houses that we can see.

Also the river is so wide, it just shows what development does to the environment.
 Arillas looks much flatter then, I was trying to envisage where all the properties that we know now are placed, and realized I couldn't see the incline that goes past Mathraki up to the turning for San Steph., although on the second one you can see that it was taken from a hill so assume that was it, also think some of those trees are still there on that road up.

Val x

The love affair continues.

Offline annemarsh

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:43:24 PM »
I believe the houses you can see are still there and the one furthest back from the sea is owned by Sofia and Dimitris, and available for holiday lets via Olga at Olga's Travel.
I know that Sofia and Dimitris have lived there many, many years and it is quite possible that members of their families were living there at the time the photographs were taken.

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 06:28:18 PM »

Anne I think you may be right, and I think the one nearest the sea is owned by Didas' family, I remember talking to George when we stayed there the first time we visited Arillas in 2002, and he told me his family had always been fishermen and lived in the same spot before he built the Marina.

If you follow the path between the fields up from there you can see the tree line that I think is the road up to San Steph which starts at Amourada, that would make where Brouklis is just a field with a tree on the ridge behind it.

I have tried to follow what is now the road on Google Maps and they seem to correspond.

Think that the land in front of Georges house would have been reclaimed to build the road.

Val x

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 08:29:19 PM »
Hi folks I've managed to remove the text somewhat from the pics of old Arillas and also managed to get them upto 2mb here's the 2 without text  but these aren't the full size as they would be 2 big for the site

Offline adrienne n dave

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »
Fantastic find Terry!

Was wondering, do you have any similar position/view photos in your collection?
If so would it be possible to put them side by side, and have a "then and now"

Just an idea

thanks
Dave
instagram:  meadowfielddave

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »
Hi Adrienne and Dave.

I do have a photo that was taken from a similar position. I am hoping to make the old photograph transparent and then post it over the latest pic. I should hopefully do it over the weekend

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »

What extraordinary pictures, thank you for sharing them with us Terry. It's funny looking at just two houses compared to now but as someone else rightfully pointed out, just so incredibly beautiful and tranquil. :-)

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 04:08:53 PM »

Terry I do hope you can manage to do the overprint, I for one would be very interested to see that, please post it even if it doesn't turn out too good, mind you knowing the calibre of your work it will be perfect!
 So no pressure there then...... seriously though it would be great if we could even get just a general idea of 'then and now'.
Good luck Terry, your public awaits. ;)

Val x

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 04:53:18 PM »

Just rediscovered this thread, thought it may be of interest to newer visitors.

Terry did you ever manage to get an overprint of the then and now photographs?

Val x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »
Thank you Val for resurrecting this thread. It speaks of past forum conversations that I cherish, when it was slow, but oh so interesting. Terry has always tried to attract us to a deeper understanding of the place we all talk about and visit, but his efforts were often shunned because he described the raucous bits that were involved as well. I for one regret that his enthusiasm has largely been directed elsewhere. And admit my guilt in trivialising it all.

Ahah.. we both found our nirvana in 2002 it now emerges ValnBill. Didn't know that until today. It seems you and Bill have shared a similar journey to mine and Jen's.....

For Facebookers, the old photos of Corfu are amazing, many of them posted by Nikos Desillas, who is another of my virtual friends. Join the group. It is fascinating.

Phil

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 12:08:49 PM »
Terry has always tried to attract us to a deeper understanding of the place we all talk about and visit, but his efforts were often shunned because he described the raucous bits that were involved as well. I for one regret that his enthusiasm has largely been directed elsewhere.

I'm not sure what to make of this statement Phil?

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 02:18:03 AM »
Nor me lol!

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 09:23:19 AM »
Glad I wasn't the only one :-)

Booking.com